Keith Law Mock 1.0

soxfan49

23 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Hate? That is a strong word. Please do not put words into my mouth or try to insinuate something that isn't there. 

I think KW is a piss poor evaluator of amateur talent and I'm gonna to be extremely skeptical of anyone that he is "in love" with. Kudos to you if you think differently about Mr. William's scouting acumen. 

Also, I find it interesting that Law goes out of his way to say specifically that Kenny Williams is in love with Abrams. Law could have said the Sox FO, Rick Hahn, or Nick Hostetler but instead specifically mentioned KW. 

He is a consensus what, top 5 player?  There are likely lots of FO people and scouts in love with his talent.  You taking Kenny liking him as the kiss of death is weird. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

He is the VP of baseball ops right?  Isn't this one of the major components of his job?  It isn't like it is a secret. 

26 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

He is a consensus what, top 5 player?  There are likely lots of FO people and scouts in love with his talent.  You taking Kenny liking him as the kiss of death is weird. 

God help us all if KW is still having significant say in the draft room. Kenny being in love with a guy has been the kiss of death more often than not.

Also, I have no confidence that the Sox can develop a high school kid like Abrams. 

Edited by OneDog847

Law has Vaughn 3RD and Bleday 4TH, so my question is still; "how much difference is there between the two?". Vaughn only makes sense if he is in a tier above the guys below him. If it's merely a matter of 3RD vs. 4TH, within the same tier, I'd rather have a left handed hitter, who can play a position other than first base. 

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Law has Vaughn 3RD and Bleday 4TH, so my question is still; "how much difference is there between the two?". Vaughn only makes sense if he is in a tier above the guys below him. If it's merely a matter of 3RD vs. 4TH, within the same tier, I'd rather have a left handed hitter, who can play a position other than first base. 

Completely agree with you, but Vaughn is in a different tier. 

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

If Vaughn turns out to be any where near either Donaldson, or Goldschmidt, he will be the most successful pick the Sox have had, since the Big Hurt.

How do Vaughn's numbers at Cal compare to the Big Hurt's at Auburn? 

36 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How do Vaughn's numbers at Cal compare to the Big Hurt's at Auburn? 

Without writing them out side-by-side, more or less similar. Frank had a better freshman year, Vaughn had a better sophomore year. Frank's junior year is currently a tick ahead.

12 hours ago, danman31 said:

Without writing them out side-by-side, more or less similar. Frank had a better freshman year, Vaughn had a better sophomore year. Frank's junior year is currently a tick ahead.

Frank was also playing football though, so had not started focusing on baseball full time yet. 

If Law is right and O's are looking at Vaugn underslot and Rutschman drops to the Sox, that would be a best case scenario.  The Sox have plenty of guys that can man 1B for the next decade but Clutchman would be an answer at a position the organization has struggled to find good solutions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harfman77 said:

Frank was also playing football though, so had not started focusing on baseball full time yet. 

If Law is right and O's are looking at Vaugn underslot and Rutschman drops to the Sox, that would be a best case scenario.  The Sox have plenty of guys that can man 1B for the next decade but Clutchman would be an answer at a position the organization has struggled to find good solutions. 

giphy.gif

I want to believe

DH - Jimenez
C - Rutschman#
1B - Collins*
2B - Madrigal
SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada#
LF - Gonzalez*
CF - Robert
RF - Basabe#

C - McCann
IF - Sanchez#
UT - Garcia#
OF - Cordell

15 hours ago, danman31 said:

2 hours ago, harfman77 said:

The fact that Vaughn has pretty similar college numbers to the Big Hurt is damn impressive. Seems pretty much certain that his bat will play at the next level. 

Rutschman falling to the Sox would obviously be awesome. Highly unlikely to happen though. 

KW is the top talent evaluator in the org.  Hahn and Haber can't evaluate talent (the root of Hahn's problem) - Hostetler holds Hahn's proxy and is next in line.  It appears that, for the last few seasons, KW has stayed out of it - or at least has let Hostetler make the call.

Edited by GreenSox

4 hours ago, harfman77 said:

If Rutschman somehow magically falls to the Sox, parts of Soxtalk will somehow find a way to say it was a bad move because we'd have to sign him overslot, it didn't work out with Rodon, there has to be a reason the Royals and O's passed on him, etc.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

If Rutschman somehow magically falls to the Sox, parts of Soxtalk will somehow find a way to say it was a bad move because we'd have to sign him overslot, it didn't work out with Rodon, there has to be a reason the Royals and O's passed on him, etc.

I was completely dumbfounded when Rodon fell to the Sox.  Couldn't believe how lucky they were.  Ugh.  If I remember correctly the guy they were most connected to in that draft was Nola, believing that Rodon would go 1, or 2.  Looking back, there were some pretty good players taken later in that 1st round and comp round. Ah well. 

Just now, turnin' two said:

I was completely dumbfounded when Rodon fell to the Sox.  Couldn't believe how lucky they were.  Ugh.  If I remember correctly the guy they were most connected to in that draft was Nola, believing that Rodon would go 1, or 2.  Looking back, there were some pretty good players taken later in that 1st round and comp round. Ah well. 

It was Hoffman before injury, Nola if Rodon was taken.

Rodon was the right choice, you can't account for hindsight. Aiken was the Astros trying to get cute (ended up working out for them with Bregman) and Kolek was the Marlins in love with his fastball. Rodon looked like the second coming of Sale. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

It was Hoffman before injury, Nola if Rodon was taken.

Rodon was the right choice, you can't account for hindsight. Aiken was the Astros trying to get cute (ended up working out for them with Bregman) and Kolek was the Marlins in love with his fastball. Rodon looked like the second coming of Sale. 

Yeah, I wasn't second guessing, he was clearly the choice.  Just worked out as a bad outcome for the Sox.