Latest deck shuffling: Jones to 60 day IL; Burr reinstated; Tilson Up

bmags

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Neither guy will be on the roster next year. They're so unreliable they had no value anyway 

Rodon will be in the organization, he's under contract. He simply won't be able to pitch.

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think so. I believe he's going to be non-tendered 

Fulmer is still here and has shown absolutely nothing as a first round pick.  They will keep Rodon around as long as possible to justify his first round status, even when they inevitably don’t get anything for him cuz they hold onto him too long.

29 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Fulmer is still here and has shown absolutely nothing as a first round pick.  They will keep Rodon around as long as possible to justify his first round status, even when they inevitably don’t get anything for him cuz they hold onto him too long.

Rodon next offseason is going to be in a similar place to Garcia last offseason - the only reason to keep him around is sentiment, it's not a good baseball or financial move. They let Garcia go and it was the right baseball/financial move, I seriously doubt they'll hold onto Rodon.

One benefit of a GM with lifetime job security is that he can pull the plug on players even though he acquired them without anyone asking how we got there.

12 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Let’s hope Hahn stops making the same mistakes with Rodon and Jones.  Once they get healthy, immediately trade them for whatever you can.  Stop waiting for them to get inevitable injured.

What is healthy? Both have a history of injuries so healthy probably means a full season which won't happen this year.  So you either give them away( Jones) or you hold on and hope next July Rodon has some value.   

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

What is healthy? Both have a history of injuries so healthy probably means a full season which won't happen this year.  So you either give them away( Jones) or you hold on and hope next July Rodon has some value.   

Literally trade them the minute they pitch lol. They can’t stay healthy so take whatever you can get for them at this point.  Hoping they both pitch well up until the trade deadline is a fool’s errand.  They won’t make it.

Edited by Harper2Sox

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think we've seen the last of Mr. Jones, thank God. Guy started off his career something like 8-0 and I remember thinking this guy could be something special....turns out he wasn't.

Nate Jones has a career 3.12 ERA and 3.41 FIP.  He was very, very, very good.  Unfortunately his body didn't hold up its end of the bargain, and he may very well be done.  The Sox won't be picking up his 2020 option at a $5.15M.  But Nate has a provided a good deal of value to the Sox over the years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nate Jones has a career 3.12 ERA and 3.41 FIP.  He was very, very, very good.  Unfortunately his body didn't hold up its end of the bargain, and he may very well be done.  The Sox won't be picking up his 2020 option at a $5.15M.  But Nate has a provided a good deal of value to the Sox over the years. 

When you keep missing basically half to most of most seasons, the numbers while nice don't have a lot of practicality in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

When you keep missing basically half to most of most seasons, the numbers while nice don't have a lot of practicality in my opinion.

It's also sorta like comparing Derrick Rose before his ACL and after.  Once Nate hurt his arm he's never been the same.  He had about 2 fWAR and a FIP under 3 before 2017, since then in about 50 innings he's managed .1 fWAR and a FIP around 4.7.  Not good for a reliever, not good at all.

He was great, now he stinks.  Time to move on.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's also sorta like comparing Derrick Rose before his ACL and after.  Once Nate hurt his arm he's never been the same.  He had about 2 fWAR and a FIP under 3 before 2017, since then in about 50 innings he's managed .1 fWAR and a FIP around 4.7.  Not good for a reliever, not good at all.

He was great, now he stinks.  Time to move on.

And they will move on.  For now, he's not hurting anything sitting on the 60 day IL.  

22 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. So much is riding on all the young kids when you have an owner who does not believe in giving out 100 million dollar plus contracts. 

The Sox will continue to shop at Aldi even though they can afford Whole Foods. 

This is only half in jest. Aldi is way better than rip off Whole Foods. If you had used Mariano's I would have agreed

21 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Let’s hope Hahn stops making the same mistakes with Rodon and Jones.  Once they get healthy, immediately trade them for whatever you can.  Stop waiting for them to get inevitable injured.

Agreed!

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I agree with this and hope Rick trades both Jones and Rodon as soon as he has a chance, before their next inevitable injuries.

Edited by Harper2Sox