1. 1. Who makes the ASG this year?

• Tim Anderson
    • Jose Abreu
    • Yoan Moncada
    • Alex Colome
    • James McCann
    • Kelvin Herrera
    • Other

Self-explanatory question. I've seen it discussed in various game threads and figured I'd make a poll. My guess is Abreu as a starter (the AL 1B crop is awful) and Anderson as a bench guy. I think Moncada will be deserving but gets snubbed. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Self-explanatory question. I've seen it discussed in various game threads and figured I'd make a poll. My guess is Abreu as a starter (the AL 1B crop is awful) and Anderson as a bench guy. I think Moncada will be deserving but gets snubbed. 

It'll probably end up being Colome, but Moncada gets snubbed. If Timmeh keeps it up he'll probably get to go over Moncada. 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And to think that just one month ago we would have laughed at McCann’s inclusion in this list. “McCann, lol, good one that’s funny...” 20% of the way into the season and he’s the current fWAR leader of all American League catchers.

He will likely fall apart before we hit the Allstar break.  I would guess two of Anderson, Moncada, and Abreu.

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

He will likely fall apart before we hit the Allstar break.  I would guess two of Anderson, Moncada, and Abreu.

Perhaps but did you predict he’d be the WAR leader of all AL catchers on May 7th? Pretty shocking actually. A cheap $2.5M pickup thy was cast away by a rebuilding Tigers team, whose catchers have combined for 0.2 WAR so far this season.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Perhaps but did you predict he’d be the WAR leader of all AL catchers on May 7th? Pretty shocking actually. A cheap $2.5M pickup thy was cast away by a rebuilding Tigers team, whose catchers have combined for 0.2 WAR so far this season.

No one saw it coming.  And I suspect his numbers will be nowhere close this by the end of the season.  But it’s nice to hope he keeps it up.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

No one saw it coming.  And I suspect his numbers will be nowhere close this by the end of the season.  But it’s nice to hope he keeps it up.

Even if he’s maintaining an OPS of 825ish at the end of next month, he has a legitimate shot at the all star team. Pretty amazing for a guy they found at the junk yard.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Even if he’s maintaining an OPS of 825ish at the end of next month, he has a legitimate shot at the all star team. Pretty amazing for a guy they found at the junk yard.

Hahn is currently batting 2 for 8 (25%) with his main offseason acquisitions.  Not very inspiring.  I’d prefer less dumpster diving and more success than that.

Edited by Harper2Sox

24 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hahn is currently batting 2 for 8 (25%) with his main offseason acquisitions.  Not very inspiring.  I’d prefer less dumpster diving and more success than that.

That's...a completely normal success rate for the free agent market. 

• Like 2

Barring injuries to Bregman or Chapman, Moncada is out. Anderson probably won't because of Bogaerts or Correa, but again, injuries. I think it'll be a reliever, and Colome has been the best of the bunch.

Edited by daggins

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's...a completely normal success rate for the free agent market. 

I would have preferred Harper/Machado, Gio Gonzalez, and whatever minor league signings Hahn wanted to make.  I didn’t see much point in signing a bunch of guys on one year deals if you didn’t land one of the two big names.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I would have preferred Harper/Machado, Gio Gonzalez, and whatever minor league signings Hahn wanted to make.  I didn’t see much point in signing a bunch of guys on one year deals if you didn’t land one of the two big names.

It would hilarious if McCann made the all star team and Machado didn’t.

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It would hilarious if McCann made the all star team and Machado didn’t.

Why?  McCann will more than likely go back to sucking after his hot start and Machado will be productive for several years to come.

I was thinking about this yesterday.  Tim's league-wide recognition could possibly get him voted in.  For the first time in a long time, a Sox player is getting a lot of national attention.  He'll have to continue to hit, and he'll have to tighten up his defense.  But with selections being based on fan votes, he might have a chance.  If Abreu keeps hitting, he has a real chance to make the team.  Moncada will most likely deserve to go probably won't.  Colome may be the only "sure" bet.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And to think that just one month ago we would have laughed at McCann’s inclusion in this list. “McCann, lol, good one that’s funny...” 20% of the way into the season and he’s the current fWAR leader of all American League catchers.

Hard to imagine how unhappy most of us are with Sox this year.  Anderson, Moncada, McCann and Abreu will legitimately receive ASG consideration.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Hard to imagine how unhappy most of us are with Sox this year.  Anderson, Moncada, McCann and Abreu will legitimately receive ASG consideration.

And Colome. It’s a stars and scrubs roster ala the Sale/Q/Eaton days. If the starting pitching was even close to average, this team would be a playoff contender. That’s why the Kopech injury was so devastating. He had legitimate ace potential as early as this season.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

Herrera has been beast mode outside of Juan Minaya and the defense sucking for 1 outing. That's assuming you're not including him for whatever reason.

39 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If Jose doesn't play first for the AL, who will? 

It may not look like this in June, but right now Carlos Santana has more hits, more walks, fewer strikeouts, higher batting average, higher OBP, higher OPS, and a higher wRC+.