Sox @ Indians; 5:10pm CT 05/07

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Definitely want James signed to a nice extension.  I don't think luck has anything to do with the fine job he's doing both catching and hitting.  Pitchers seem to love pitching to him.

If he keeps it going, not even at his current pace, through the rest of the season he may be worth looking into keeping long-term.  The next best option is Grandal who is two years older and will be a lot more expensive.

25 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I agree with all of that.  That said, Ricky leaves a lot to be desired in many facets of the game.

On the other hand...Spanish speaking to todays game is a nice plus and players do seem to relate to him.  I don't like some of his actions (bunts, etc.) but this is not an easy bullpen to manage.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Definitely want James signed to a nice extension.  I don't think luck has anything to do with the fine job he's doing both catching and hitting.  Pitchers seem to love pitching to him.

Let's see more than month. Also, hes under control for next year already so they can wait.

25 minutes ago, pcq said:

McCann is really good behind the plate. This ump has no clue on the strike zone.

His framing was not thought to be good by reputation but for my money he is an exceptional framer.  Best in my mind since AJ.

16 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Wow. Somehow, I never had a doubt that Tilson would make that diving catch. You could tell he had a perfect read on it the whole way.

Lot easier to watch him out there than Eloy 

Can't argue.  He has been a nice player to watch.  That's why I'm looking forward to getting Madrigal up with the Sox.  Teams need some of these guys that play big league small ball at a high level.  They make things happen with speed and smarts.  The big thumpers need someone to drive in.

I love McCann but you guys slay me. He turns 29 in June which is so close to being too old by modern board posters. It's OK some players are pushing 30 and can get nice deals backed by the fans and other guys get meh'ed to death when they near 30. It's all cliche.

That said I do love McCann. he's one of the reasons we are sniffing .500.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love McCann but you guys slay me. He turns 29 in June which is so close to being too old by modern board posters. It's OK some players are pushing 30 and can get nice deals backed by the fans and other guys get meh'ed to death when they near 30. It's all cliche.

That said I do love McCann. he's one of the reasons we are sniffing .500.

Yep, this is true.  He is turning 29 soon but the next best free agent option is turning 31 soon in Grandal.  I still don’t think McCann’s bat will keep up by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yep, this is true.  He is turning 29 soon but the next best free agent option is turning 31 soon in Grandal.  I still don’t think McCann’s bat will keep up by the end of the season.

Fortunately, hes under control for next season so they don't have to actually commit to him long-term yet and can wait to see a season + of at bats.

51 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Fortunately, hes under control for next season so they don't have to actually commit to him long-term yet and can wait to see a season + of at bats.

That would be the best course of action.

10 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

fThat would be the best course of action.

We are always discussing value of now versus later.  If he breaks his leg his value will fall off the cliff...if you wait and he continues to be what he is today his value (cost) will soar.  Locking up a player who looks to be part of the future at a low but fair price is good business.  Worked well when done with Sale, Q and Eaton.  Not so well when done with Danks.