The Broadcasting Tandem of Jason Benetti & Steve Stone - Love 'em, like 'em, or leave 'em!

Thad Bosley

The Broadcasting Tandem of Jason Benetti & Steve Stone - Love 'em, like 'em, or leave 'em!  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy the play-by-play broadcasting provided by Jason Benetti?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you enjoy the color analysis provided by Steve Stone?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you enjoy the pairing of Jason Benetti and Steve Stone as the broadcast duo for White Sox baseball on TV?

• Yes
    • No

I've said it before and I'll say it again- baseball is a game and it's fun. Benetti is having fun

The alternative is someone like Hawk who's completely miserable, thinks that his opinions are facts and b****es all game long

Hawk might be better if this team is good in 2020 and 2021, yet even then, Benetti is really good in close games and on big calls, so I imagine he'd be the same way for a consistently competitive team

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, WBWSF said:

This is the last year on Stones contract. Rumor has it that AJ Pierzynski will be his replacement if Stone decides to retire after this season.

There is no such rumor. Stone even tweeted the other day that he wants to be in Chicago for years

@stevestone
10:57 AM - 13 May 19 via Twitter for iPad
I am working with the best young broadcaster in sports. Jason has the innate ability to know when to speak for the game and when the game speaks for itself. I love this beautiful game and I love Chicago. I'll be here for awhile because I'm having a blast

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I like both Bennetti and Stone, but I agree, they bring out the worst in each other. Bennetti really needs a straight man, but I actually think his lack of pro experience is a benefit. He takes no knowledge for granted, which means he probes Stone for great information a lot of the time (IMO), in large part because Stone has an incredible understanding of the game. The moments of JB interviewing Stone to reveal the incredible strategic depth that goes into each pitch is some of the best broadcasting the WS have had in a decade+.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

I like both Bennetti and Stone, but I agree, they bring out the worst in each other. Bennetti really needs a straight man, but I actually think his lack of pro experience is a benefit. He takes no knowledge for granted, which means he probes Stone for great information a lot of the time (IMO), in large part because Stone has an incredible understanding of the game. The moments of JB interviewing Stone to reveal the incredible strategic depth that goes into each pitch is some of the best broadcasting the WS have had in a decade+.

Go on..

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

There is no such rumor. Stone even tweeted the other day that he wants to be in Chicago for years

@stevestone
I am working with the best young broadcaster in sports. Jason has the innate ability to know when to speak for the game and when the game speaks for itself. I love this beautiful game and I love Chicago. I'll be here for awhile because I'm having a blast

This is great news. Like most good Sox players, Stone gets taken for granted here. He's the best baseball color announcer in the game (name one better) and is one of the rare first class things about our organization. He probably could be a GM if he wanted to take that path earlier in his career. Stone is a blessing.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

My favorite part about this thread is that the header has a question mark in it, but then the title ends with an exclaimation point.

Is this a question poll?

Or

Is this a question poll!

Carry on...

*exclamation

Well, after more than 100 votes on this survey, I think the results are pretty conclusive - our fans, despite the often less-than-desirable product on the field, are pretty content with the fellas in the TV booth bringing them the action.  Still experiencing low ratings, but it's not because of Jason & Steve.

Stone Pony received nearly 90% satisfaction from the folks who voted; Benetti nearly 80% satisfaction, and a little more than three quarters of you like the two of them together as a broadcasting duo.  

All of this in spite of the fact that the two have to talk over a lot of badly played baseball.  That's certainly encouraging for them once (if?) competitive and exciting baseball returns to the South Side!  

On 5/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, Heads22 said:

Jason has definitely improved this year.

Farmer and DJ are an acquired taste.

I can't do them anymore. 

I was listening to the game the other day on my way to dinner or something. It was the game where Anderson hit the bomb to center. There were two home runs hit that inning I believe, and I had no idea either was a homer because farmio didn't tell me. He acted like they were fly balls to center... and then suddenly he was like, and it's gone. You never know what is happening in the game with him.

2 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Well, after more than 100 votes on this survey, I think the results are pretty conclusive - our fans, despite the often less-than-desirable product on the field, are pretty content with the fellas in the TV booth bringing them the action.  Still experiencing low ratings, but it's not because of Jason & Steve.

Stone Pony received nearly 90% satisfaction from the folks who voted; Benetti nearly 80% satisfaction, and a little more than three quarters of you like the two of them together as a broadcasting duo.  

All of this in spite of the fact that the two have to talk over a lot of badly played baseball.  That's certainly encouraging for them once (if?) competitive and exciting baseball returns to the South Side!  

Benetti does a really nice job. 

On 5/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, soxfan49 said:

@stevestone

Jason is that guy at work that ALWAYS did his homework and assignment and even went above and beyond... and when you showed up and didn't get everything done, he's happy to share his extra work with you to make sure you look good as well. He clearly prepares himself in a very professional manner and has received much respect for that.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, mqr said:

Big Bennetti supported, but I agree. Almost like he went in prepared for a blow out and when the Sox held up their end of that bargain he treated it as such. 

Granted there was very little action anyway. 

Just ok with Steve and Jason and agree they are better this year.  I sometime listen to the visitors broadcast and believe me there are worse broadcast teams than ours.  Be content with what we have.  Not easy to make a bad game seem interesting.

Not having the benefit of sufficient exposure to other baseball broadcasters, makes it difficult to compare. However, if some of those highlights, which play during breaks, on the MLB.com broadcasts, are any indication, I would find many of those particular announcers very annoying. I especially dislike some of the hyperbole.

Have any of you noticed the commentary on that clip, where Jeter intercepts a relay throw to the plate, just a little in front of the plate, on the first base side? He grabs the ball and shovels it to the catcher, who tags out the runner. It doesn't appear to be a very remarkable play, beyond the "heads up" nature of Jeter's having positioned himself in the right place to make the play. Nevertheless, the announcer is just completely over the top with "Oh, one of the most unbelievable plays, you'll ever see a short stop make".  It's just stupid. I often think, I could of made that play myself, if I happened be standing there, that close to the plate. It wasn't a difficult ball to catch and it was only a short distance to flip the ball to the catcher. Actually seemed quite unremarkable. So many announcers seem to think that they have to scream and exclaim how "unbelievable" such plays are, even when they actually aren't. Our duo isn't especially guilty of that, and I appreciate them, for it.

Here is the video:

Edited by Lillian

57 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Not having the benefit of sufficient exposure to other baseball broadcasters, makes it difficult to compare. However, if some of those highlights, which play during breaks, on the MLB.com broadcasts, are any indication, I would find many of those particular announcers very annoying. I especially dislike some of the hyperbole.

Have any of you noticed the commentary on that clip, where Jeter intercepts a relay throw to the plate, just a little in front of the plate, on the first base side? He grabs the ball and shovels it to the catcher, who tags out the runner. It doesn't appear to be a very remarkable play, beyond the "heads up" nature of Jeter's having positioned himself in the right place to make the play. Nevertheless, the announcer is just completely over the top with "Oh, one of the most unbelievable plays, you'll ever see a short stop make".  It's just stupid. I often think, I could of made that play myself, if I happened be standing there, that close to the plate. It wasn't a difficult ball to catch and it was only a short distance to flip the ball to the catcher. Actually seemed quite unremarkable. So many announcers seem to think that they have to scream and exclaim how "unbelievable" such plays are, even when they actually aren't. Our duo isn't especially guilty of that, and I appreciate them, for it.

Here is the video:

He saw it was a lousy throw from right field and got his butt over there.  Plus, it was a playoff game.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, soxfan49 said:

Go on..

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I am also intrigued to see how this plays out.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until I publish my tell-all fan fiction: "Mount Jason Erupts: The forbidden love story of Jason Benetti and Sly Steve Stone"

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

Sorry, you'll have to wait until I publish my tell-all fan fiction: "Mount Jason Erupts: The forbidden love story of Jason Benetti and Sly Steve Stone"

No, really. You said he'd be better off with a straight man. You can't say that and then not elaborate. Are you implying Stone is gay?