JAMES FRICKIN MCCANN

ScootsMcGoots

If McCann really is a good defender and framer, then that ought to stick.  If they can get him for the "Good defensive catcher" longterm price, it's worth looking into.  If he wants "good hitting/defensive/framing" catcher price, then no.

As for the trades, it's not a matter of switching out Narvaez for McCann. That's not what happened.  Narvaez was traded for Colome.  And as good a season as Colome's having, I'd still take 4 years of Narvaez and his .855 OPS and 5 homers over 2 years of Colome in a heartbeat.   Narvez as a DH and/or teach him first would provide a serious upgrade over Alonso (whom they seem hell-bent on ensuring he earns his option).

Edited by GreenSox

White Sox are 12-7 when McCann starts at catcher this season. SSS but that’s starting to become a real thing. Pitchers’ numbers are considerably better with him and he did a hell of a job tonight blocking some really tough pitches in the dirt with men on second and third base.

45 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If McCann really is a good defender and framer, then that ought to stick.  If they can get him for the "Good defensive catcher" longterm price, it's worth looking into.  If he wants "good hitting/defensive/framing" catcher price, then no.

As for the trades, it's not a matter of switching out Narvaez for McCann. That's not what happened.  Narvaez was traded for Colome.  And as good a season as Colome's having, I'd still take 4 years of Narvaez and his .855 OPS and 5 homers over 2 years of Colome in a heartbeat.   Narvez as a DH and/or teach him first would provide a serious upgrade over Alonso (whom they seem hell-bent on ensuring he earns his option).

They won’t need a DH like Narvaez after they sign JDM this winter 😉

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I think we need to see what Narvaez’s numbers look like at the end of the season before we consider him at .850+ hitter.  I know Statcast isn’t too high on him at the moment.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we need to see what Narvaez’s numbers look like at the end of the season before we consider him at .850+ hitter.  I know Statcast isn’t too high on him at the moment.

We need to see what happens with both McCann and Narvaez.

• Haha 1

I'll be honest, I had no clue who James McCann was when the Sox signed him.  I have no memory of him with the Tigers.  I just assumed he was some guy who had hit well against the Sox and so our front office fell in love with him ala Mark Teahan.

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Uhhh, nope.  Remember when everyone was excited about Palka hitting almost 30 bombs?  Where is he now?

With a 240 average and he couldn't field a position .  Yes I understand what you're saying though. Let's talk at the end of the year.

We have a decent catcher that can hit, a potential star at ss and another at 3B.
We have 2 or 3 solid starters, a setup guy and a Closer.
We have flexibility with payroll.
As Elwood said in the Blues Brothers: " There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses."

I am as unsure about which direction  this team is heading as the Blues Brothers were.

• Like 1

I love his two strike approach, at the plate. You all know what an advocate I am of "choking up" on the bat. He has been a tremendous two strike hitter, so far this season, which has been attributed to his choking up, with 2 strikes.  Having a solid defensive catcher is always important, but with so many young pitchers, it's essential. Next season, the entire staff is likely to be young, with little Major League experience. Kopech and Cease could be at the top of the rotation, with Lopez and Giolito considered the "veterans" of the staff. At this point, Rodon doesn't even enter the conversation. The 5TH starter could end up being another one of their prospects.

Even if Collins makes it, as a catcher, the Sox are still going to need another backstop.  A right handed hitting McCann and a left handed hitting Collins, could work. Depending upon two inexperienced receivers like Collins and Zevala, would not be a wise decision. 

I will be surprised if they trade McCann, although I don't expect him to continue to have this kind of offensive production. I would be thrilled if he ultimately hits close to .300 with an OBP near .350. He has been a pretty decent career hitter, versus LHP. This year, he is hitting RHP, as well. Let's hope that continues, although it would be less important next year, if Collins takes most of the at bats, versus RHP.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

I hope we dont trade him. Even if he keeps this up the value he brings back is not as big as the value he gives us. A C with half a good year is not going to give us a great prospect.

Considering we dont have a true C prospect in the minors (Zavala is doing nothing and Collins seems a better fit as a back up C and rest of his games at 1st/DH) I would rather extend him if he keeps this up. I believe he is only 28 years old and could very much be a part of our future while way less expensive than Grandal.

• Like 1

All around great catchers (defensively and offensively) are very rare.  McCann will regress offensively for sure, although we keep saying this and he comes out and says fuck you and continues to hit the ball.  His defense is excellent, and I don't think we'll see that change much.  The three stops he made in the 8th inning were things of beauty.  Most importantly, he seems to handle the pitchers very well.  With a young staff that is just going to get younger, that could be paramount.

47 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I hope we dont trade him. Even if he keeps this up the value he brings back is not as big as the value he gives us. A C with half a good year is not going to give us a great prospect.

Considering we dont have a true C prospect in the minors (Zavala is doing nothing and Collins seems a better fit as a back up C and rest of his games at 1st/DH) I would rather extend him if he keeps this up. I believe he is only 28 years old and could very much be a part of our future while way less expensive than Grandal.

Very much agree!  This is the kind of break you hope for when involved in a rebuild.  Buying a catcher (your on field General) can be expensive for top of the line candidates.

5 hours ago, tray said:

We have a decent catcher that can hit, a potential star at ss and another at 3B.
We have 2 or 3 solid starters, a setup guy and a Closer.
We have flexibility with payroll.
As Elwood said in the Blues Brothers: " There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses."

I am as unsure about which direction  this team is heading as the Blues Brothers were.

This is a painfully accurate assessment of the team.

• Like 1