JAMES FRICKIN MCCANN

ScootsMcGoots

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox are about to move to 13-8 when James McCann starts at catcher. Their record is 4-13 when Castillo starts at catcher 🤔

Wow.  The Sox were sooooo much better last year with Castillo on his suspension.  I feel like he doesn't call a good game, he doesn't frame well, and in ur uniform, he has never hit enough to make up for that.

11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Wow.  The Sox were sooooo much better last year with Castillo on his suspension.  I feel like he doesn't call a good game, he doesn't frame well, and in ur uniform, he has never hit enough to make up for that.

But he has Machado on speed dial. That was probably the only reason the Sox signed him. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

But he has Machado on speed dial. That was probably the only reason the Sox signed him. 

So Hahn spent $28 million dollars on three mediocre players to recruit a guy who is playing for the Padres.   Brutal.

Well, you have to give Hahn credit. He's 3 for 3, on the Manny Machado "family and friends" signings; Castillo, Alonso and Jay. None of them have justified their acquisitions, or playing time. The only good thing that has come of it, is that we didn't get Manny, for that $350 million. That could have made it 4 for 4. Manny is not going to earn all of that money, at his current pace.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

So Hahn spent $28 million dollars on three mediocre players to recruit a guy who is playing for the Padres.   Brutal.

Last I looked that guy was hitting about .250 with 4 HR's.

I'll take Moncada at third.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Last I looked that guy was hitting about .250 with 4 HR's.

I'll take Moncada at third.

8 homers and same WAR as Yoan because Manny is phenomenal on defense.  Too bad we couldn’t be getting Yoan’s offense from a 2nd baseman.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

8 homers and same WAR as Yoan because Manny is phenomenal on defense.  Too bad we couldn’t be getting Yoan’s offense from a 2nd baseman.

I'll take Madrigal.  I like having a couple Madrigal / Tilson types on a ball club.  They make things happen and someone has to be on base for the boppers.  We've all seen what happen with long term contracts when the player stop producing and the contract has 5 years to go.  No thanks.

7 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Funny how all these posts pretend they didn’t want Machado now. There is NO ONE coming in FA we will be able to sign anywhere close to his talent.    

Mookie Betts would look nice changing Sox in a couple years 👍

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Not convinced his numbers right now will look real at the end of the year but he is shaping up to have a nice season regardless.

I doubt anyone thinks McCann will hit his current ave. of .376 for the year.  He is showing good command of the strike zone, hitting to all fields and mature approach.  For a catcher he is not bad on the bases either.  His choking up on the bat with 2 strikes is a welcome site.

46 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

If he hits .260 the rest of the way and catches like he has been, he will be our best at this position since AJ.  Really like how he calls a game etc.

I bumped the thread on the Sox signing of McCann. Many takes had him as a bad defensive catcher but no one mentioned how he calls a game. Of course that's something you can't find in defensive metrics.

9 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Funny how all these posts pretend they didn’t want Machado now. There is NO ONE coming in FA we will be able to sign anywhere close to his talent.    

Rendon is actually very very good and very close to as talented. Of course he's not as young but that just means he won't cost as much either. So the NO ONE is just not true.

14 hours ago, Lillian said:

Well, you have to give Hahn credit. He's 3 for 3, on the Manny Machado "family and friends" signings; Castillo, Alonso and Jay. None of them have justified their acquisitions, or playing time. The only good thing that has come of it, is that we didn't get Manny, for that $350 million. That could have made it 4 for 4. Manny is not going to earn all of that money, at his current pace.

Might have to put Colome and Nova in the family and friends plan too since they played on the DR WBC team with Manny even if no one knows for sure if they are friends. No such thing as coincidence perhaps ?

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Rendon is actually very very good and very close to as talented. Of course he's not as young but that just means he won't cost as much either. So the NO ONE is just not true.

But it doesn’t matter.  The Sox are not going to flip the bill for Rendon with Moncada at 3B now.

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Might have to put Colome and Nova in the family and friends plan too since they played on the DR WBC team with Manny even if no one knows for sure if they are friends. No such thing as coincidence perhaps ?

I think most people were including the 305 Boys from Miami in Machado's friends and family plan.

https://remezcla.com/sports/machado-almora-305-boys/

If Hahn traded for Almora, that would have sealed it.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

But it doesn’t matter.  The Sox are not going to flip the bill for Rendon with Moncada at 3B now.

Maybe. WIth some FA's resigning with current teams  it limits options and one option should be to get a great 3rd baseman like Rendon and increasing Moncada's value by putting him back at 2nd base. I'd like to think Moncada changed his approach and will continue to hit if he is put back at 2nd base. But we still have to see if he ends up the year significantly better offensively. That puts a better defender at third , you get a great hitter and you fill the black hole at 2nd base.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

I think most people were including the 305 Boys from Miami in Machado's friends and family plan.

https://remezcla.com/sports/machado-almora-305-boys/

If Hahn traded for Almora, that would have sealed it.

Yea I know but you never know about the others. Why have 3 when even 5 is better ? Hahn and Sox brain trust unlimited friends and family plan.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe. WIth some FA's resigning with current teams  it limits options and one option should be to get a great 3rd baseman like Rendon and increasing Moncada's value by putting him back at 2nd base. I'd like to think Moncada changed his approach and will continue to hit if he is put back at 2nd base. But we still have to see if he ends up the year significantly better offensively. That puts a better defender at third , you get a great hitter and you fill the black hole at 2nd base.

I would like to see it too but you know it isn’t going to happen with Madrigal lined up to move into 2B.

50 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I would like to see it too but you know it isn’t going to happen with Madrigal lined up to move into 2B.

Nick Madrigal is currently sporting a 257 batting average and a sub 700 OPS in A ball. The kid doesn't appear to be the future at second base right now. 

I would love for the Sox to sign Rendon and trade Madrigal for a starting pitcher.