JAMES FRICKIN MCCANN

ScootsMcGoots

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

No. But he's pretty fun right now 

This.

He won't keep this up, but he's been a revelation for us. He has slowly started to steal Castillo's playing time. Looks like he's  going to be Nova's personal catcher too. 

• Like 1

He has a more closed stance than in Detroit and looks very in control at the plate. Obviously his offensive numbers will come back down to earth. However: Defensively he runs circles around Castillo.

He is still young enough to have a long term future with the Sox, but there is no rush to sign him to an extension.

I think for being the worst free agent signing in franchise history, that’s still a pretty good start. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he keeps it going, not even at his current pace, through the rest of the season he may be worth looking into keeping long-term.  The next best option is Grandal who is two years older and will be a lot more expensive.  But show me 150 more ABs first.

• Haha 1

Yeah while I agree the offensive is gonna start regressing, he isn't going to lose the defense, which IMO makes him a better choice than Castillo just with that. It's not like Castillo is a better hitter right now anyway, and likely won't be for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I think for being the worst free agent signing in franchise history, that’s still a pretty good start. :lol:

Where did anyone say that a guy on a 1-year deal for $2.5 million is the worst free agent signing in franchise history?

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

He has a more closed stance than in Detroit and looks very in control at the plate. Obviously his offensive numbers will come back down to earth. However: Defensively he runs circles around Castillo.

He is still young enough to have a long term future with the Sox, but there is no rush to sign him to an extension.

More closed now? It's pretty open.

16 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Dude is a beast. Both offensively and defensively. What an upgrade over Narvaez, so far. Have we found our catcher savior?!?!

I'm watin for someone to say trade him now while his value is high and they can waste it on bad prospects.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

His manner at the plate continues to remind me of Fisk.  I feel like he takes control of the game.

6 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm watin for someone to say trade him now while his value is high and they can waste it on bad prospects.

Well, you wouldn't have Colome but undoing that trade and having both Narvaez and McCann as your backstops and DFA'ing Castillo wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world either.  And Narvaez isn't a free agent until after the 2022 season.  I guess a lot depends on if McCann keeps it up and seeing what Hahn gets in a trade for Colome.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I guessing if he keeps this up he'll be gone by July for a pretty good prospect. It seems to me the Sox are pinning their catching future on Collins and Zuvala.

I disagree with this.  Zavala is doing nothing at AAA and is nearing 26.  Collins is hitting well but may not have the defensive skills to stick at catcher full-time and the Sox will need both a C and DH after this season, as well as a 1B if they let Abreu walk.  McCann will be retained if he keeps it up because of the extra year of control they have on him and if they decide to extend him.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Regardless of his offense, It‘s just nice to have a good defensive catcher for a change.

AJ was terrible defensively in his last few years with the Sox,

Flowers, despite having good framing numbers, couldn‘t block a ball to save his life and Castillo is just all around bad.

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I guessing if he keeps this up he'll be gone by July for a pretty good prospect. It seems to me the Sox are pinning their catching future on Collins and Zuvala.

I was thinking Collins and Zuvala too but McCann is changing my thinking fast.  Really, really looks good.  I'm not expecting this out of this world batting average...his whole manner at the plate is very in control.