JAMES FRICKIN MCCANN

ScootsMcGoots

Well, he was a second round pick and had some success with the bat (at least in 2017).  He is not exactly old yet.  If he could be a decent start catcher, that would save the Sox all the money they would have to throw at an older Yasmani Grandal in the offseason so they could spend it elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

.....still with the sox organization

As a matter of fact, Palka seems to have rediscovered his groove. He hit his 4TH homer, in the last 5 games and his OBP is .400, in 56 at bats, with the Knights.  I think he may be brought back up, soon. I'd rather see him get the at bats, than Alonso, who is not part of this team's future. I don't think that the Sox have given up on him, but rather sent him to Charlotte, just to get back on track. It would be nice if someone would take Yonder's salary off the Sox' hands.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

As a matter of fact, Palka seems to have rediscovered his groove. He hit his 4TH homer, in the last 5 games and his OBP is .400, in 56 at bats, with the Knights.  I think he may be brought back up, soon. I'd rather see him get the at bats, than Alonso, who is not part of this team's future. I don't think that the Sox have given up on him, but rather sent him to Charlotte, just to get back on track. It would be nice if someone would take Yonder's salary off the Sox' hands.

I noticed this as well and would have no problem with the Sox cutting ties with Alonso and replacing him with Palka.  But I don’t think any team is going to take in Alonso’s salary.

2 hours ago, mqr said:

I do have to wonder if the Sox actually saw something that said this could happen, or if they just lucked out when trying to bring in a warm body. 

1st and foremost they saw youth (compared to the other catchers out there) and a decent 2017 and that he was pretty good at controlling the running game. Also that he was cheap and at the very least better at framing and overall defense than Narvaez .Those things were obvious.  If they saw more than that I'd be surprised. But that is 5 positives in his favor that were obvious so maybe that was enough though not enough for us here who hated the signing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

19 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I noticed this as well and would have no problem with the Sox cutting ties with Alonso and replacing him with Palka.  But I don’t think any team is going to take in Alonso’s salary.

How about half his salary? Please!! Don't misunderstand me, I don't hate Alonso. It's just that he has no future with this team, which already has too many candidates for first and DH., and seems to be a lock to take Vaughn, in the Draft.

Edited by Lillian

15 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I would give the Sox a ton of credit if they DFA'd Alonso and brought back Palka.  I don't see them cutting ties with Alonso this quickly, but I would applaud them.  I was not one of the people who blasted the Alonso trade as I felt he fit a roll at only slightly over his market value.  But he's been terrible, and I want nothing to do with him on this team next season.  His $9M is a sunk cost.   I expect him to improve, but at this point, just move on.  Him and Abreu create such a lack of flexibility.  

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Great point. Does anybody want Alonso? Trade him now and try Palka again. Although if we are possibly going to contend this year, the Sox probably feel they need the veteran leadership of Alonso. Flirting with .500 would suggest the possibility of contending although I see a lineup that's pretty week and very conducive to a long long losing streak.

How about half his salary? Please!! Don't misunderstand me, I don't hate Alonso. It's just that he has no future with this team, which already has too many candidates for first and DH., and seems to be a lock to take Vaughn, in the Draft.

If we draft Vaughn we need a plan in place for Jimenez, Abreu, Alonso, Castillo, Palka and who knows who else.  I realize we would have a couple years to figure it all out...but can only have so many limited position players.  I hate when we try to fit more than one poor defensive players into the lineup.

You must love a guy like Cody Bellinger but then again most of us do or should. Amazing LH bat and plays 1st CF and the other OF positions as well as he plays 1st base which is very well. Also has a pretty strong and accurate arm. 5 tool guy all the way.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would give the Sox a ton of credit if they DFA'd Alonso and brought back Palka.  I don't see them cutting ties with Alonso this quickly, but I would applaud them.  I was not one of the people who blasted the Alonso trade as I felt he fit a roll at only slightly over his market value.  But he's been terrible, and I want nothing to do with him on this team next season.  His $9M is a sunk cost.   I expect him to improve, but at this point, just move on.  Him and Abreu create such a lack of flexibility.  

For the record, Palka doesn't provide much flexibility either (if we are talking about defense). In fact, Alonso is much better at his sole position than Palka is at his, so you could say that the flexibility piece actually favors Alonso. However, as far as the bats are concerned, yeah right now Palka is a better fit on this team. I would give it another month. If Alonso hasn't turned it around by then, bring Palka up with Cease and cut ties with Alonso.

Not sure who would spell Abreu at first when he needs it then. Can Palka play 1st? Maybe one of the catchers or Leury?

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Going back to his stance, I believe one of J Fegan pieces talked about it being more open this season and somebody in the clubhouse pointed him to it.

Give credit where it's due. So far he is working out great, I hope he can stick around!

I do know that the lineup looks much less impressive when McCann is not batting cleanup.  When he's not catching he should DH regardless of L/R hand issues.  This effort to make Alonso look tradable is costing wins.

22 hours ago, mqr said:

I do have to wonder if the Sox actually saw something that said this could happen, or if they just lucked out when trying to bring in a warm body. 

Todd Steverson noticed something and told Rick to bring him on board. He changed his batting stance after all. 

54 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I imagine after a couple off days McCann probably has cooled off and it will be alright to bring him back into the lineup.

This is what I am concerned about. I don't like the idea of sitting the hottest hitter in the lineup for 2 days in a row even if he is a catcher. Let him ride the hot streak until he cools off a bit. 

Idk, maybe the rest will allow him to sustain it longer.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is what I am concerned about. I don't like the idea of sitting the hottest hitter in the lineup for 2 days in a row even if he is a catcher. Let him ride the hot streak until he cools off a bit. 

Idk, maybe the rest will allow him to sustain it longer.

If a couple days of rest ends this hot streak, then that's who the hitter was going to be anyway.

I know that he will not end up with numbers anywhere near his current pace. Nevertheless, you have to love the guy. He's a smart ball player, a great pitch blocker, has a good arm and calls a good game. Offensively, his approach is precisely what I advocate for most hitters. He sprays the ball all over the field and chokes up with 2 strikes.   I still can't get over how he has taken to hitting clean up and 5TH. Who would have guessed that he could be a productive middle of the order hitter? Unless, or until he cools off, he has to be the primary backstop, with Castillo used only to provide the necessary rest. On days which he is not catching, I would not use him as the DH, but he could certainly pinch hit, occasionally.