Reacquire Adam Eaton

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Would rather try and pluck someone like Scherzer from them to lead the rotation for the next couple of years.

Scherzer turns 35 July 27th , right before the trade deadline. If the Nats are out of it then I see Scherzer going to a contender. I doubt they wait another year since that would risk an old arm deteriorating even more or injury.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Dunning for Eaton. I'd do that.

In a heartbeat, but I'm not sure Eaton has lost that much value.

Also, I'm weary about bringing a guy back that seemed to cause all kinds of issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

He’s 30 and he’s constantly injured.  He is also owed $8.5 million this year with $9.5 and $10.5 million dollar team options in 2020 and 2021.  No thanks.

You wrote those dollar amounts as if they are bad when in fact they are very good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, bmags said:

You wrote those dollar amounts as if they are bad when in fact they are very good.

They are fine for a player that doesn’t get injured for the majority of entire seasons.  For Adam Eaton it’s like burning money just like with Rodon and Nate Jones.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

They are fine for a player that doesn’t get injured for the majority of entire seasons.  For Adam Eaton it’s like burning money just like with Rodon and Nate Jones.

He's been injured twice, comparing him to pitchers with bad elbows is silly

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Scherzer turns 35 July 27th , right before the trade deadline. If the Nats are out of it then I see Scherzer going to a contender. I doubt they wait another year since that would risk an old arm deteriorating even more or injury.

His price is kinda tricky for the reasons you named but the Sox have the ammo to beat a few contenders if they really want him for the next two years. He's been pretty reliable, healthwise, throughout his career though.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Uh, yeah the nate jones and rodon roster spots are not the points of the roster I'd take issue with. Adam Eaton was 2 WAR for 95 games, for 10 million. Still pretty good.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

In a heartbeat, but I'm not sure Eaton has lost that much value.

Also, I'm weary about bringing a guy back that seemed to cause all kinds of issues. 

Hey Dunning could still be a decent starter and has all the control years left. I doubt Rizzo would do it because it would be a reminder that they gave up Giolito and Lopez and are now taking back 1/3 of what they gave up and an injured 1/3 at that.

I just made that trade up spur of the moment but I haven't convinced myself that's a good trade for the Sox .

These are the types of deals that are very hard to grasp what the value would be.

If we could leverage our depleted salary to dampen the return then its attractive. At full price, not attractive.

But the nats also have a core of young players, they could realistically shed a lot of salary and re-tool. 

Players like Ryan Zimmerman aren't longterm issues, but he saves them 18 million this year. Eaton would save 20 million off books. They have Soto/Robles/Taylor. Kieboom to replace Rendon.

So if we are a part of just shedding to allow younger prospects to form a new core, give them flexibility to assign money to bullpen, they are probably better than they are now.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

These are the types of deals that are very hard to grasp what the value would be.

If we could leverage our depleted salary to dampen the return then its attractive. At full price, not attractive.

But the nats also have a core of young players, they could realistically shed a lot of salary and re-tool. 

Players like Ryan Zimmerman aren't longterm issues, but he saves them 18 million this year. Eaton would save 20 million off books. They have Soto/Robles/Taylor. Kieboom to replace Rendon.

So if we are a part of just shedding to allow younger prospects to form a new core, give them flexibility to assign money to bullpen, they are probably better than they are now.

The Sox could trade from their surplus of OF.  Anyone of Gonzalez, Basabe or Rutherford would be more than fine.  Throw in Fulmer or Hansen as a sweetener.  Done and done.

Interesting idea.  I would guess Washington's price would not be cheap.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Sox could trade from their surplus of OF.  Anyone of Gonzalez, Basabe or Rutherford would be more than fine.  Throw in Fulmer or Hansen as a sweetener.  Done and done.

Rutherford and Fulmer, I would do the deal for sure.  I'd probably do Gonzalez and Fulmer too.  Other combos I would likely pass. 

Also - my guess is the Sox aren't super interested in Eaton based on the Drakegate, etc.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

They could also deal Strasburg . Under control til 2023 at about $25M/year, Deal or wait for another injury to screw it up. That would be a lot of salary off the books  SO how do the Nats play it ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They could also deal Strasburg . Under control til 2023 at about $25M/year, Deal or wait for another injury to screw it up. That would be a lot of salary off the books  SO how do the Nats play it ?

Yeah the whole rotation is a tough question, as it is the main driver of their salary commitments.