Reacquire Adam Eaton

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Who do you give up for Eaton? 

Not sure. Obviously, if the cost is even remotely high, it's an easy pass. I'd try to start with one of Basabe/Gonzalez/Walker, then add a second piece (maybe Flores or Pilkington?)

8 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

Not sure. Obviously, if the cost is even remotely high, it's an easy pass. I'd try to start with one of Basabe/Gonzalez/Walker, then add a second piece (maybe Flores or Pilkington?)

I'd say he's more likely to be a waiver pickup than a trade candidate.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can actually find a few  parallels between the Cubs signing of Lester and the Sox going after Bumgarner . The Cubs signed the left handed Lester for his age 31 season to anchor their staff for what hopefully would result in a World Series win. Mission accomplished.

If the Sox signed Bumgarner it would be for his age 30 season. They need a LH in the rotation. I think a few World Series appearances took a lot out of his arm but he is coming back from that. He could go back to being a high quality LH workhorse and he could also provide a winners perspective and invaluable insight into pitching for the youngsters. He is exactly what the Sox need .

I actually think Bumgarner would be a good signing but i'm not sure he'll go to the AL. He likes batting. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Bumgarner can maintain his recent velocity uptick then he's much more attractive. I'd still bet on a dude like him to be productive albeit overpaid.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

What do you think he would cost?

Sale got 5/145. Probably less than that but its a pretty good starting point. 

Edited by joejoedairy

2 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

Sale got 5/145. Probably less than that but its a pretty good starting point. 

This is what I'm thinking. Not Kershaw/Greinke money but maybe between the 23-26 mill and 6 year range

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is what I'm thinking. Not Kershaw/Greinke money but maybe between the 23-26 mill and 6 year range

Would fit nicely with money not spent foolishly on you know who.  Always preferred getting 3 good addition guys for what 1 guy cost.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bumgarner is going to want to stay in the NL.  Not to say he won't go to an AL if they pay the most, but his preference will be to stay in the NL. 

All you can do is inquire and see what's up. Any GM would do his due diligence. Harper supposedly didn't want to go to Philly .Machado probably never imagined he'd end up on the Padres when he started free agency.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I''d imagine that Bumgardner will get something similar to what Lester got from the Cubs. 6 years at 150 million or something like that.

There is no way in hell that JR ponys up that kind of cash for a pitcher approaching 30 though.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Bumgarner can maintain his recent velocity uptick then he's much more attractive. I'd still bet on a dude like him to be productive albeit overpaid.

We have to remember MadBum pitched over 100 innings combined in 4 different post seasons along with his usually workload as one of the top innings pitched guys for many years. Even with the last post season appearances being in 2016 ,I think his arm was weary for the last couple of years.  He certainly has a magnificent track record. Seems like he's been around forever because he started so young but will be just 30  for the 2020 season.

1 hour ago, bschmaranz said:

I'd say he's more likely to be a waiver pickup than a trade candidate.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Waivers don't exist anymore, bro. 

1) Adam Eaton is not going to be waived, he's far too valuable for that. If Eaton were placed on waivers today he'd be claimed by the Marlins or Reds considering how cheap Miami is.

2) Waivers absolutely exist, they've just removed the soft trade deadline where players on the 40 man can be traded in August if they pass through waivers and instated a hard 7/31 trade deadline.

Just to clear up any confusion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We have to remember MadBum pitched over 100 innings combined in 4 different post seasons along with his usually workload as one of the top innings pitched guys for many years. Even with the last post season appearances being in 2016 ,I think his arm was weary for the last couple of years.  He certainly has a magnificent track record. Seems like he's been around forever because he started so young but will be just 30  for the 2020 season.

Dude has defintely been a workhorse when healthy. All those extra playoffs innings make me a bit weary, however. Kind of get the feeling that his best days are far in the rearview mirror. 

JR isn't gonna give a pitcher a 100 million dollar plus contract anyway so all this talk of signing him is just academic. 

12 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Dude has defintely been a workhorse when healthy. All those extra playoffs innings make me a bit weary, however. Kind of get the feeling that his best days are far in the rearview mirror. 

JR isn't gonna give a pitcher a 100 million dollar plus contract anyway so all this talk of signing him is just academic. 

If the Cubs had said what you just said about Lester they never win the World Series and he is still their best pitcher and he was a year older than Madbum . He also had pitched a lot of post seasons before they got him (84 innings.),

I understand your doubts about JR or if the Sox will even consider him as a target but in my eyes the Sox should know if they want to do what they say they do  then a quality free agent or 3 to supplement the young guys is a must. Not 3 guys who cost $50M each but at least 1 guy who they are going to have to pay top dollar for. Top dollar for $150M is better than $300M for them.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If the Cubs had said what you just said about Lester they never win the World Series and he is still their best pitcher and he was a year older than Madbum . He also had pitched a lot of post seasons before they got him (84 innings.),

I understand your doubts about JR or if the Sox will even consider him as a target but in my eyes the Sox should know if they want to do what they say they do  then a quality free agent or 3 to supplement the young guys is a must. Not 3 guys who cost $50M each but at least 1 guy who they are going to have to pay top dollar for. Top dollar for $150M is better than $300M for them.

If I owned a baseball team, I'd pass on FA pitchers for big bucks. So many need surgery.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If I owned a baseball team, I'd pass on FA pitchers for big bucks. So many need surgery.

I'm fascinated by you as a GM. You'd never hand out big contracts, but you really don't like focusing on prospects.

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert isn't coming up anytime soon.  

How about we DFA Alonso, option Nicky and Cordell and call up Collins and Palka, and re-instate Eloy. 

vs. RHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Collins DH, Anderson SS, Palka RF, Yolmer 2B

vs. LHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Castillo DH, Anderson SS, Rondon RF, Yolmer 2B

Collins can occasionally catch in place of McCann and play 1B instead of Abreu against RHP.  Collins on the roster gives Ricky more flexibility to DH McCann and Castillo regularly when not catching.  RF defense sucks I guess.  Could keep Cordell up and send Tilson back to AAA and play Cordell in RF versus LHP.  Helps the defense.  Tilson would be true 4th OF based on the above, so wouldn't get much PT with Palka back on the roster. 

Why would Daniel Palka ever play again?