Reacquire Adam Eaton

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Washington lost again today.  8 games under and 7 out in a very difficult division and league.  These guys are toast.  Rizzo's going to blow this dumpster fire up.  Get aggressive and get in there early.  

What would it take to get Patrick Corbin or Stephen Strasburg? 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How many years does Strasburg have left on his deal? 

Signed through 2023. 

I don't think the Sox have the chips to get him. Nats would probably want Kopech, Cease, or Madrigal as the centerpiece of any deal. 

10 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Signed through 2023. 

I don't think the Sox have the chips to get him. Nats would probably want Kopech, Cease, or Madrigal as the centerpiece of any deal. 

Hard pass at that price, but do you really think it would cost that much with his injury history and dollars owed? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

Sox would be over .500 if they kept Avi , still haven't found a replacement.  

He's batting in the .270's and hitting cleanup for Tampa Bay.  Signed for 6 million.  Sounds like he would have been a good deal compared to Alonso.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

Sox would be over .500 if they kept Avi , still haven't found a replacement.  

How did you come to that conclusion. Avi has 13 RBI in 119 AB. Cordell alone in RF has 9 RBI in 60 ABS.  Are you thinking AVI's defense would win at least 3 games. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

How did you come to that conclusion. Avi has 13 RBI in 119 AB. Cordell alone in RF has 9 RBI in 60 ABS.  Are you thinking AVI's defense would win at least 3 games. 

It's speculation of course you cannot draw that kind of conclusion  There is more to baseball than just defense and RBI's.

If you take Palka out of the lineup from the beginning of the season AVi's defense though much maligned here was average . Not great not bad. He also has a ton more speed and a much better arm then Palka therefore being more valuable in the field and on the base paths. Palka hardly got on base. Avi's OBP is currently .344  which gives more guys opportunities to knock him in . More hits even if they don't result in RBI's, extend innings and advance runners, In a nutshell better speed , better runner on the bases, more HR's, much higher batting average and OBP ,better fielder, stronger arm, more runs scored, longer innings, . Did I miss anything ? That's how bad Palka was.

Avi currently has a 1.2 WAR which would put him second on the Sox behind McCann and an OPS+ of 122 so all that WAR cannot be just offense. Then maybe Cordell replace Engels in center and it's even better .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

He's batting in the .270's and hitting cleanup for Tampa Bay.  Signed for 6 million.  Sounds like he would have been a good deal compared to Alonso.

Actually signed for $3.5M with another $2,5 M in incentives based on AB's . $250K starting at 350 AB's then every 50 AB's after that another $250K up to 600 AB's. SO if he reaches 600 AB's that another $1.5M for him .Then if he gets 650 AB's he get's another $1M. Those incentive protect the Rays from injuries. Sox easily could've done that.

There was speculation in the off season that one guy was practically begging the Sox to keep him or resign him. That might've been Avi.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would Daniel Palka ever play again?

Daniel Palka will almost certainly be back.  OPSing .950 in AAA. OBP over .400. SSS, yes.  But so was his awful stretch to start the season.  I am not a Palka bobo by any means, but I'd way rather him get the DH at bats than Alonso.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Daniel Palka will almost certainly be back.  OPSing .950 in AAA. OBP over .400. SSS, yes.  But so was his awful stretch to start the season.  I am not a Palka bobo by any means, but I'd way rather him get the DH at bats than Alonso.

Daniel Palka does not belong anywhere inside an MLB stadium if he doesn't buy his own ticket.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Daniel Palka does not belong anywhere inside an MLB stadium if he doesn't buy his own ticket.

Great analysis.  His OPS+ of 110 and WRC+ of 109 in over 415 at bats in 2018 suggests otherwise.  

He is a limited player, no doubt.  But he could be a useful platoon bat in the big leagues. 

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His slow start cost him his job. In my mind he's still an upgrade over Alonso.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Great analysis.  His OPS+ of 110 and WRC+ of 109 in over 415 at bats in 2018 suggests otherwise.  

He is a limited player, no doubt.  But he could be a useful platoon bat in the big leagues. 

A OPS+ of 110 for a guy with zero defensive or base running abilities is not a player who belongs in the big leagues.

It's truly baffling that anyone still wants Palka around. 

He can't be a useful platoon because he has ZERO position.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A OPS+ of 110 for a guy with zero defensive or base running abilities is not a player who belongs in the big leagues.

It's truly baffling that anyone still wants Palka around. 

He can't be a useful platoon because he has ZERO position.

Lol. Palka had the 43rd best OPS+ in the American League last year (those over 400 PA).  I don't think this guy is the savior and I have no problem with him in AAA right now after his putrid start.  But he could be a useful platoon piece as a DH and occasion OF, and he will be back at some point, likely whenever the Sox cut bait on Alonso.  Apologies on Daniel banging your girlfriend.    

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Haha 1