5/8 Games

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Medeiros has been pretty awful with the Sox.  Have to imagine his 40 man spot will be in serious jeopardy in the coming months, and that could quickly signal the end of his time with the Sox org.   

We need to try him out in the bullpen before making that decision. Could be a great Loogy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We need to try him out in the bullpen before making that decision. Could be a great Loogy

SSS, but he hasn't been good against lefties this season either.  6.2 IP, 9 hits, 5 BB.  5.40 ERA, 2.10 WHIP and .310 average against.  

Last season he held lefties to a .159 average with a 41/12 K:BB ratio, so hopefully some of it is just SSS and rough start this season.  

Zack Collins bat has really turned it around...being in Charlotte helps with that ball park....but has anyone seen him catch at all?  Has that improved at all or is he looking to be destined for 1B/DH spot.  If there was a spot for him he would probably get a call-up this year but Yonder has that spot (right now).  I hope we get a look at both Cease and Collins at some point this year.

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Zack Collins bat has really turned it around...being in Charlotte helps with that ball park....but has anyone seen him catch at all?  Has that improved at all or is he looking to be destined for 1B/DH spot.  If there was a spot for him he would probably get a call-up this year but Yonder has that spot (right now).  I hope we get a look at both Cease and Collins at some point this year.

I’ve yet to see one non-Sox scout say he will stick at catcher.  Until that changes, just expect that he will have to get moved off the spot.

9 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, but you've only said something nice about a Sox prospect 8 times since 2006.

that's probably more positive comments than actually good sox prospects.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, but you've only said something nice about a Sox prospect 8 times since 2006.

Find me one non-Sox scout that projects him as a catcher still, and then my comment will be false. I’m all for calling him up now and giving him Yonder’s at bats at DH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Find me one non-Sox scout that projects him as a catcher still, and then my comment will be false. I’m all for calling him up now and giving him Yonder’s at bats at DH.

I also like the idea of calling up Collins to take Yonder's at bats because it gives the Sox a little more flexibility to DH McCann and Castillo.  Castillo should be in the lineup against all LHP, preferably at DH.  McCann can catch the majority of the time against RHP, with Collins DHing (or at 1B), and Collins can fill it at catcher occasionally.  

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

Quite the game from him today, good to see

Might be time to bump Remillard and scorching hot Fisher up to BIR

Remillard is not really a prospect is he?  Just an org guy?  Noticed they've bounced him all around the field this season.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Remillard is not really a prospect is he?  Just an org guy?  Noticed they've bounced him all around the field this season.  

Yeah, more of an org. guy at this point...was interesting originally, came from CWS Champs CCU at the time and did well

2 hours ago, fathom said:

i get that this is the narrative.  Collins is a bad defensive catcher.  Future Sox said "Collins has a strong arm, grading out to be average or a tick above. He lacks mobility and is occasionally out of position on balls in the dirt, and his receiving skills are a key focus for him right now."  And clearly the White Sox are working on teaching him framing and calling a game.    So let's say he gives up a lot of passed balls, and makes some errors catching pop ups.  Ted Simmons in 1975 led the majors in errors and passed balls by a catcher and ended up with nearly a 5 WAR...and sixth in MVP voting.  Isn't a very good hitting catcher with ok fielding way more valuable than a very good hitting DH??   And while its nice to have great defense...last year Martin Maldonado was Fan Graphs second best defensive catcher and Zunio was third and both had Engel-esque batting stats.   I like the idea of our Ted Simmons.    

Just a thought on Collins at Catcher.  If he is as bad as claimed, then if he were catching for Sox in last night's win vs Cleveland, Sox would have lost.  McCann saved 3 wild pitches in one inning.