Abreu trade value?

Dominikk85

He is having a good season with a .280 average and 8 homers so far. Only is a rental but could help a contender, if he is healthy he is still an elite 1b hitter.

I think the sox should try to trade him and get a return, ideally eating a few mil of his salary to get a better return.

They can still resign him to a 2 or 3 year deal if they trade him just like the yanks did with chapman trading him to the cubs for torres and then resigning him.

Of course the sox would not get a comp pick like that but they also don't risk him taking the QO and they should get at least a similar return to a QO pick (about a 45 fv prospect).

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

8 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Meant 280

Why does my name show my email? I used to have a different nickname (germansock)

When the site updated, the usernames reverted back to originals.  I think you can now change it yourself in your account settings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

He is having a good season with a .280 average and 8 homers so far. Only is a rental but could help a contender, if he is healthy he is still an elite 1b hitter.

I think the sox should try to trade him and get a return, ideally eating a few mil of his salary to get a better return.

They can still resign him to a 2 or 3 year deal if they trade him just like the yanks did with chapman trading him to the cubs for torres and then resigning him.

Of course the sox would not get a comp pick like that but they also don't risk him taking the QO and they should get at least a similar return to a QO pick (about a 45 fv prospect).

We are not trading Abreu 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox will be paying Alonso next season about what Abreu will earn in the open market.

Doesn't Alonso need to meet some appearance amount to guarantee his option? His batting average and slug%

give the Sox a legit reason to stop playing him.

37 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

We are not trading Abreu 

Please save that five word sentence. I want to use it every time an Abreu thread pops up. If I say what I want to, I'll get banned. I worship Abreu so to speak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Someone said this last week: We do we keep talking on here about trading our best player? It's just silly. 

With all due respect, we love to undervalue our own on message boards. Who was the last Sox player universally beloved? Was Buehrle loved right until the end? Paulie wasn't. He had detractors. Maybe Ray Durham? He was beloved til the end wasn't he?

The guy has 9 homers and 34 RBI for gosh sakes. 

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Abreu is retiring a White Sock. He will not be traded this season, he will receive an extension and rightfully so. He is blocking no one and there isn't anyone on the market better than him. He still has some good years left. He's staying. 

And for his sake, he wants to stay,  I really hope he stays long enough to at least win a playoff round with the Sox. He's been on losing teams his whole career. Dude definitely deserves to end it on a winning note.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Doesn't Alonso need to meet some appearance amount to guarantee his option? His batting average and slug%

give the Sox a legit reason to stop playing him.

Yes.  He need 550.  And he's well on his way to doing just that.  They never sit him.  Voila, Rick Hahn has his first-baseman for next season.  
They either are playing him to get his stats up to flip him, or this is the laziest front office in the history of mankind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Yes.  He need 550.  And he's well on his way to doing just that.  They never sit him.  Voila, Rick Hahn has his first-baseman for next season.  
They either are playing him to get his stats up to flip him, or this is the laziest front office in the history of mankind.

Alonso playing every game is a disgrace.  No reason he can't sit and watch.  See how it's done.  I really liked his manner at the plate at first.  RR pencils him into the lineup night after night.  I just can't understand why RR lets Alonso & Palka play until they are the target of fan scorn.  Not smart.

39 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Alonso playing every game is a disgrace.  No reason he can't sit and watch.  See how it's done.  I really liked his manner at the plate at first.  RR pencils him into the lineup night after night.  I just can't understand why RR lets Alonso & Palka play until they are the target of fan scorn.  Not smart.

I loved Alonso the first two weeks as well. I tend to dislike players who hit into shifts and he does that a lot.

Focus on catcher first, if that's McCann after he proves himself, so be it.  Collins can always play 1B/DH.  I'd probably see what mediocre return you could get for Abreu.  You can always re-sign him when he becomes a free agent.  Alonso is just another garbage Hahn acquisition like Jon Jay.  Hilarious how he wasted $13 million trying to lure a player who signed elsewhere.  Epic.  If Alonso gets enough plate appearances that his option actually vests, this front office is even worse than I currently think.

Edited by Harper2Sox

8 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Meant 280

Why does my name show my email? I used to have a different nickname (germansock)

695 posts in and your just noticing this?!?!?   Hahahaaaaaaa....geezus.

• Haha 1

Jose is tied for the League lead in RBI's and should have one more RBI and Home run, if he hadn't passed T. A., trotting around first base. Oh, and he's played 2 fewer games and 12 fewer at bats, than the guy, with whom he's tied for that League lead. His 10 doubles and what should be 10 homers are also near the best in the League. 

He is in better shape than he has been, at any time in his White Sox career. At this point, he is the best hitter on this team and should be able to swing a productive bat, for a least 2 or 3 more years. I would be happy to see the Sox try to extend him to age 35, with a 3 year extension. If he really wants to stay with the Sox, and is willing to take a 3 year deal, the front office should award him that opportunity. He has earned it. He has been a consistent player, a club house leader, a solid citizen and a loyal "employee".

Of course, the question is; how much should they offer. I don't know the answer, but if includes a little more than the on the field production value, which they expect to receive, so be it. Again, he has earned it. And finally, let's not forget that two of the young future stars, who could well be part of the core of the contending team, starting as early as next year, are fellow Cubans. Having Jose there to mentor Moncada and Robert should add value to his contract. It's not just about his fellow country men. The Sox have one of the most Latino dominated rosters, in the Majors. 

I'd like to see the Sox DH Jose next year, and let either Jimenez or Palka play first. Alonso needs to be gone. Of course, that entire scenario would be complicated by the Sox selecting Vaughn, but that's another subject, which I hope the front office will consider, when the June Draft rolls around.

Edited by Lillian

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

Nobody is trading anything of worth for a DH. These guys are a dime a dozen. 

Actually, they are not if production matters at all. There's a reason he won a Silver Slugger in a bad, injury plagued season for him. 

Your hate is, always has been, and always will be, ridiculous. He's made you look a fool so many times, you would think by this point you would just stop.

• Like 1