Abreu trade value?

Dominikk85

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Actually, they are not if production matters at all. There's a reason he won a Silver Slugger in a bad, injury plagued season for him. 

Your hate is, always has been, and always will be, ridiculous. He's made you look a fool so many times, you would think by this point you would just stop.

The AL 1st base crop was laughably horrible last year. The worst in a long time. Jose lucked out.

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ron883 said:

The AL 1st base crop was laughably horrible last year. The worst in a long time. Jose didn't deserve it. 

But you said they are a dime a dozen. In a bad year, he was the best. Now that he is healthy and swinging well, finding someone like him isn't easy. 

I sure hope he stole your girlfriend or something. Your constant ragging him is beyond bizarre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But you said they are a dime a dozen. In a bad year, he was the best. Now that he is healthy and swinging well, finding someone like him isn't easy. 

I sure hope he stole your girlfriend or something. Your constant ragging him is beyond bizarre.

Jose is having a great year, no doubt. He still will have little trade value. People don't trade much for DHs. That's the bottom line. His stone hands at 1st don't help his value either. 

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

The Astros have been the team all along who have needed Abreu for the past 3 years....

Abreu for Seth Beer who says no?  This could allow us to also take one of the prep SS in the draft and pass on Vaughn

*Checks Beer's numbers* 

Probably Astros.

14 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Yes.  He need 550.  And he's well on his way to doing just that.  They never sit him.  Voila, Rick Hahn has his first-baseman for next season.  
They either are playing him to get his stats up to flip him, or this is the laziest front office in the history of mankind.

He actually only needs to 526. 

• Haha 1

Injuries that haven't happened yet can overnight change the buyers interested.  When we get to the dead line there is no reason to deal unless the offer is so good it can't be turned down.  I would happily extend him or trade for the right deal.  People do overpay when they perceive it's a player to put them over the top.  ForAlonso I would be happy with salary relief.  I want to be over paid for Abreu.  If I like my car but someone offers fair market value I say no thanks.  Same situation occurred with Q.  We got overpaid because Cubs overpaid because they thought Q was the man.

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think there is any way the Sox allow him to get to 526 at bats in a Sox uni.  He'll either be DFA'd or traded before that point.  I would hope.  

Agreed. 0% chance that option vests. If they want a stop gap typ of 1B for next year until someone in the minors takes over, they can do that for cheaper.

26 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. 0% chance that option vests. If they want a stop gap typ of 1B for next year until someone in the minors takes over, they can do that for cheaper.

Never, never put something that seems totally illogical past the White Sox front office. I've seen them far to many times make decision that make you sit back and ask, "what could they possibly be thinking?"

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Never, never put something that seems totally illogical past the White Sox front office. I've seen them far to many times make decision that make you sit back and ask, "what could they possibly be thinking?"

Some of the things done by Hahn have baffled me for as long as he has been the GM. In 2017 he traded David Robertson for absolutely nothing. Steve Stone said the trade was done for some salary relief. Hahn  will then turnaround and spend millions of dollars on bums like Jay and Alonso.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Some of the things done by Hahn have baffled me for as long as he has been the GM. In 2017 he traded David Robertson for absolutely nothing. Steve Stone said the trade was done for some salary relief. Hahn  will then turnaround and spend millions of dollars on bums like Jay and Alonso.

I wouldn't call Rutherford "absolutely nothing" at the time.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would call Rutherford absolutely nothing now.  Rutherford has no future with the White Sox, none. I doubt if he even makes it to the Big Leagues. They say it takes 2-3 years to judge a trade. The Robertson trade was another of Hahns bad trades.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:06 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

Abreu is retiring a White Sock. He will not be traded this season, he will receive an extension and rightfully so. He is blocking no one and there isn't anyone on the market better than him. He still has some good years left. He's staying. 

And for his sake, he wants to stay,  I really hope he stays long enough to at least win a playoff round with the Sox. He's been on losing teams his whole career. Dude definitely deserves to end it on a winning note.

I'm sick of trades.

We have very few quality players as it is.

This ownership reminds me of the Three Stooges drilling holes in a sinking boat to let  the incoming water out.

Spend some friggin money on free agent difference-makers

Keep Jose !!

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is absolutely nothing but a first round pick.  Dude has a .487 OPS through 100 at bats in Double AA and hasn’t been truly impressive at any point so far.  Hahn dumped Robertson’s salary so he could add trash like Alonso and Jay.  He is just a terrible GM.

Edited by Harper2Sox

23 hours ago, WBWSF said:

People need to stop thinking  the trade was Robinson for Rutherford.  Robinson had no surplus value because, yes he was very good, but he had a sizable contract attached to him.  (Frazier has no surplus value either but for the opposite reason)  That trade was, plain and simple, Kahnle for Rutherford.  Everyone else involved was just moving pieces.  Rutherford may or may not work out but they sold high on Kahnle at exactly the right time.  

20 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I would call Rutherford absolutely nothing now.  Rutherford has no future with the White Sox, none. I doubt if he even makes it to the Big Leagues. They say it takes 2-3 years to judge a trade. The Robertson trade was another of Hahns bad trades.

Rutherford was a top 35-40 prospect at the time of the trade.  Thats hardly "nothing" for an older relief pitcher on a non contending team.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RTC said:

People need to stop thinking  the trade was Robinson for Rutherford.  Robinson had no surplus value because, yes he was very good, but he had a sizable contract attached to him.  (Frazier has no surplus value either but for the opposite reason)  That trade was, plain and simple, Kahnle for Rutherford.  Everyone else involved was just moving pieces.  Rutherford may or may not work out but they sold high on Kahnle at exactly the right time.  

+1

The Yankees were in a 40 man crunch and the Sox offered an expiring contract and a bullpen pitcher with an inflated salary. 

Robertson and Frazier were salary dumps, we all knew the other guys in that deal were trash, and it was, essentially Kahnle for Rutherford. It sucks that Rutherford has stalled in AA, but you make that deal every time in the position the Sox were in, in July 2017. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

I'm sick of trades.

We have very few quality players as it is.

This ownership reminds me of the Three Stooges drilling holes in a sinking boat to let  the incoming water out.

Spend some friggin money on free agent difference-makers

Keep Jose !!

I'm sick of trade talk. Sick of tanking. The Sixers-Raptors game seven is huge for the tank people. No team has tanked more than Philly to rebuild. If they can't even win this round, one big lol at tanking. Tanking does not always work, folks. A good general manager in baseball can keep the team competitive without tanking. Get a very good manager (which we don't believe in doing), make smart draft picks even if they are, heaven forbid, as low as No. 15 in round one for your first pick, make smart acquisitions and you stay on top. I have no idea how the Sox are worth one billion dollars, but they are, and Jerry and the partners are laughing so hard all the way to the bank.

Be objective. Since '05, the Sox front office has made so many bad trades, so many bad draft picks, so many dumb moves with managers ... and yet nobody has been fired in the front office. It is insane. And fans? We talk about trading one consistently good player, Abreu, over and over, year after year. We deserve what we get ... players like Yonder Alonso and John Jay and the great Adam LaRoche.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

+1

The Yankees were in a 40 man crunch and the Sox offered an expiring contract and a bullpen pitcher with an inflated salary. 

Robertson and Frazier were salary dumps, we all knew the other guys in that deal were trash, and it was, essentially Kahnle for Rutherford. It sucks that Rutherford has stalled in AA, but you make that deal every time in the position the Sox were in, in July 2017. 

This is revisionist history. A lot of people were pumped on Ian Clarkin as well as Rutherford. Clarkin was a former first round pick (One pick after Aaron Judge) and only 22 at the time of the trade. Hahn got pantsed by Cashman. 

• Like 1

Rutherford is playing almost 2 years over his age at AA.  I’m not saying he’s going to work out or not, but it’s way too early to write him off and, therefore, too early to pass final judgment on the trade.  Now ... if anyone wants to argue that the Sox shouldn’t have him at Birmingham in the first place .... I’m with you.  But those are separate issues.  

Edited by RTC

54 minutes ago, RTC said:

Rutherford is playing almost 2 years over his age at AA.  I’m not saying he’s going to work out or not, but it’s way too early to write him off and, therefore, too early to pass final judgment on the trade.  Now ... if anyone wants to argue that the Sox shouldn’t have him at Birmingham in the first place .... I’m with you.  But those are separate issues.  

Rutherford is only 22. You can't hit much worse than he has through his first 100 at bats this season, though. He's shown no power in his career so far as well. Right now I'm on the Tilson bandwagon. Hope he keeps hitting even if they are singles.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, RTC said:

Good insightful post.

13 hours ago, RTC said:

Problem with Rutherford is he needs to be added to the 40 Man this coming winter. He does kind of need to start hitting a little. 

Robertson and Frazier were salary dumps, just like James Shields, Edwin Jackson, Brett Myers and Liariano were salary dumps.   The difference in price when the Sox dump and when the Sox trade for others' dumps is striking.

As for Rutherford, just give him time. There's plenty of room on the 40 man.  Late bloomers are becoming a regular occurrence.  Two of the Royals good "young" players (Dozier and Merrifield) didn't do anything until 27, e.g.

Edited by GreenSox