Abreu trade value?

Dominikk85

On 5/9/2019 at 9:22 PM, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. 0% chance that option vests. If they want a stop gap typ of 1B for next year until someone in the minors takes over, they can do that for cheaper.

Then why are they playing him every day?  If it's to flip him, the flip value is severely diminished as the acquiring team would be on the hook for another season. In fact, I'd say no one would take him even for free if they knew they were on the hook for next season.
On the other hand, the Sox could dole out his time, use him in late innings, play Delmonico there more often and ensure that option doesn't vest, while also giving him a chance to catch onto another team if he starts hitting.  But Ricky's playing him every day, so I just wonder.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Then why are they playing him every day?  If it's to flip him, the flip value is severely diminished as the acquiring team would be on the hook for another season. In fact, I'd say no one would take him even for free if they knew they were on the hook for next season.
On the other hand, the Sox could dole out his time, use him in late innings, play Delmonico there more often and ensure that option doesn't vest, while also giving him a chance to catch onto another team if he starts hitting.  But Ricky's playing him every day, so I just wonder.

They'll probably give him til the end of the month or next month to see if he can turn it around. I bet he's gone by the end of June if he keeps this up.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They’ll cut him before the option vests. I’d prefer they do what you’re suggesting, but it’s clear they’re just going to ride him for now and cut him later. At this point, no one is going to trade for him even if he turns it around some. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They’ll cut him before the option vests. I’d prefer they do what you’re suggesting, but it’s clear they’re just going to ride him for now and cut him later. At this point, no one is going to trade for him even if he turns it around some. 

At least move him down in the order...he puts a damper on the whole lineup.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Am I missing something? He makes 9 mill in 2020. How can they cut him if that's the case? Teams have money to burn I guess.

Yonder drew 9 walks in Sox's first six games. Since then he's had 10 walks in 30 games. He's a player going up there hitting into the shift time after time. One has to wonder if playing on a wretched team affects his desire to walk. Just hack away.

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Am I missing something? He makes 9 mill in 2020. How can they cut him if that's the case? Teams have money to burn I guess.

Yonder drew 9 walks in Sox's first six games. Since then he's had 10 walks in 30 games.

His 2020 contract is only guaranteed if he hits 550~ ABs this year.

Just now, ron883 said:

His 2020 contract is only guaranteed if he hits 550~ ABs this year.

Interesting. Man he's gonna be one, furious guy if the Sox stop playing him or cut him. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

MLB.com has an article listing the MVPs so far for each team and for the White Sox they listed Jose Abreu?  I would be hard pressed to make that argument honestly.

Probably one of those lazy articles they put out for clicks. Anderson, Moncada, and arguably McCann/Giolito have been more valuable this year 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

Interesting. Man he's gonna be one, furious guy if the Sox stop playing him or cut him. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him.

Yet our management team didnt understand why Manny didnt take mythical future sox monopoly money tied to ABs over real cash tied to years.

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why would he be mad?  He got paid to be a recruiter not a ball player.  If he gets cut he can go sign on anywhere and the Sox are on the hook for his remaining 5 million or whatever.

Abreu leads the team in RBIs; he's 3rd in the league. Next RBI guy on team isn't even close. You could argue he is the MVP. I would agree that others have been more valuable so far. But as I said in an earlier post. He was the White Sox only rep on the all-star team last year. Also, this spring MLB.com listed the top 100 players in baseball, and Abreu was the only one listed from the White Sox. 

You can argue that he hasn't been the most valuable so far. But the odds are by the end of the year, he will be one of the top two or three. I would bet Abreu against any one individual on the Sox you would want to name . And this does not even take into account his value as a club house leader. 

So again I ask: Why would we want to trade our best player; especially for a "B- prospect" who will probably never see the majors. That trading Abreu keeps coming up on this forum I am completely unable to understand. 

30 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Abreu leads the team in RBIs; he's 3rd in the league. Next RBI guy on team isn't even close. You could argue he is the MVP. I would agree that others have been more valuable so far. But as I said in an earlier post. He was the White Sox only rep on the all-star team last year. Also, this spring MLB.com listed the top 100 players in baseball, and Abreu was the only one listed from the White Sox. 

You can argue that he hasn't been the most valuable so far. But the odds are by the end of the year, he will be one of the top two or three. I would bet Abreu against any one individual on the Sox you would want to name . And this does not even take into account his value as a club house leader. 

So again I ask: Why would we want to trade our best player; especially for a "B- prospect" who will probably never see the majors. That trading Abreu keeps coming up on this forum I am completely unable to understand. 

Because context matters.  In counting RBIs and valuing players.   He's aging, is out of contract, and is in decline.  Furthermore the Sox have 2-3 guys right now that look more like DH/1B types than legit fielders.  Need to clear up a spot for Eloy and Collins to play some DH and 1B.

First of all, Eloy is an outfielder. All you guys who were going nuts to bring him up right away, the major concern with keeping him in the minors was his outfield defense. We want that monster bat (we all hope) in left field. It's relatively easy to find a good bat at 1st base. We're just gonna have to be patient with Eloy in the outfield. 

He is aging. All the White Sox players are aging. Do you believe that he's really 34 and not 32? Do you believe that?

How do you know he's in decline? He's got 9 home runs already this year. Again on his way to 30 or more. I know he didn't get 30 last year, but that was the definition of a freak injury: What was it? Something like an infected in-grown hair. It seems to me he has somehow survived that is okay this year. 

And yes, he's up for a new contract. So, let's sign him to a new contract and pay him because he is our best player. Everybody on this board had a shit-fit because the Sox wouldn't pay Machado 30 million a year for 10 years. But those same people don't want to pay Abreu 15 million a year or so the next two years?  

And are we really motivated to bring up Gavin Sheets with his 3 home runs and .235 batting average (or his 6 total home runs all of last year) in AA, or catcher Collins with his .256 average and 7 home runs  in AAA to replace Abreu? 

Edited by vilehoopster

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why would he be mad?  He got paid to be a recruiter not a ball player.  If he gets cut he can go sign on anywhere and the Sox are on the hook for his remaining 5 million or whatever.

Cause he wants next year's money too. No team will be dumb enough to pay him next year's total. That's what I meant. He won't care about this year. He still gets that money. To abruptly cut him just to not pay him next year's haul should bother him I'd think.

5 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Probably one of those lazy articles they put out for clicks. Anderson, Moncada, and arguably McCann/Giolito have been more valuable this year 

Anyone who has watched the games would agree with you.

There's no reason to trade Abreu unless they can get a player that will be a MLB starter in the future.  They don't need to clear payroll, and he's not blocking anyone.  He's more valuable to the Sox than any realistic return for him would be.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

sThere's no reason to trade Abreu unless they can get a player that will be a MLB starter in the future.  They don't need to clear payroll, and he's not blocking anyone.  He's more valuable to the Sox than any realistic return for him would be.

I agree. No reason to make a deal just to make a deal,  Need to get more than a fair deal however.  He fits us very well and is not a salary dump.  I used the analogy that if you like your current car you wouldn't sell it because someone said I'll pay fair market value.

If someone wants to give up a backend top 100 prospect for Abreu in July, you definitely do it.  I probably don't trade him if the return is a AAAA type.  I think the offers will be somewhere in the middle, but there should be a handful of teams in contention that Abreu would really help.  So you never say never. 

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If someone wants to give up a backend top 100 prospect for Abreu in July, you definitely do it.  I probably don't trade him if the return is a AAAA type.  I think the offers will be somewhere in the middle, but there should be a handful of teams in contention that Abreu would really help.  So you never say never. 

I would love a guy like Seth Beer.. Not a top 100 and may not be ever due to his bad defense, however he has a top 50 bat no doubt... But man the dude can stick. As I said earlier, a move like this could open up the draft possibilies and make it easier to select a prep SS rather than Vaughn 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Because context matters.  In counting RBIs and valuing players.   He's aging, is out of contract, and is in decline.  Furthermore the Sox have 2-3 guys right now that look more like DH/1B types than legit fielders.  Need to clear up a spot for Eloy and Collins to play some DH and 1B.

I think Hahn considers him as part of the rebuild

General manager Rick Hahn may have had his strongest take on Abreu’s future as a Sox when he appeared on MLB Network Tuesday morning. Asked about the 32-year-old two-time All-Star first baseman’s future with the club after his six-year contract expires at the end of the season, Hahn talked up Abreu’s value on the field and in the clubhouse — as he always does.

“He’s been here throughout the early stages of this rebuild and certainly very likely he’ll be here in the more enjoyable stages that lie ahead of us,” Hahn said.

Hahn has been consistent saying talks of a new deal would likely occur after the season.

I like Abreu but it would be so like Hahn to spend a big chunk of change on a 33 year old 1B.  Unless he wants to sign for a hometown discount, trade him for a decent prospect.  A good GM should be able to find a decent 1B all over the place.  Oh wait, I said “a good GM.”

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'll take my chances with a 3 year extension.