TILSON / CORDELL

poppysox

Cordell & Tilson have made a nice improvement in the everyday lineup IMO.  It's interesting how HR power is so in vogue that we give up having tight defense, good throwing arms, speed on the bases,  and batting averages North of .240.  I will take this kind of player any day over the Palka's of this game.  When you are hiding an elite hitter like Jimenez I can let the shortcomings slide but not worth it for the Palka's of this world.  It seems in every game lately one of these guys does something to keep us in the game.

I think both guys deserve a chance to play most days going forward.  Tilson is a better defensive outfielder than just about anyone else on the roster, and his bat has been a pleasant surprise so far.  Cordell is decent in the OF, and although he's cooled down at the plate, he's still a better option than Palka.  The only way we'll know what we have with these guys is to let them play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

I have been pleasantly surprised with Tilson's defense.  I remember him being a little rough out there when he was up previously. 

An article I read on him said that he feels like he finally regained all the strength in his legs. In 2016 when he came up, he tore his hamstring and was out the rest of the year, and then in Spring Training 2017 suffered another injury (I think?) and was out the whole year.

• Thanks 1

Palka was always a DH and there might be a spot on a team for him. Sans Yonder.

But I agree with the OP, having Eloy in LF with his defensive shortcoming, you want to make sure CF/RF can cover some ground.

Edited by justBLAZE

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

An article I read on him said that he feels like he finally regained all the strength in his legs. In 2016 when he came up, he tore his hamstring and was out the rest of the year, and then in Spring Training 2017 suffered another injury (I think?) and was out the whole year.

2017 was a stress fracture or something along those lines.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Moving Eloy to DH full time is a dumb idea. He is way too young to be a full time DH, even people like Schwarber and Delmonico became passable LFers with experience. 

Couldn't agree more.  Can always make him a full time DH later.  I don't mind him DHing on occasion, but making him a full time DH at this age is stupid. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Couldn't agree more.  Can always make him a full time DH later.  I don't mind him DHing on occasion, but making him a full time DH at this age is stupid. 

Yeah, way too young to not at least become passable in LF with work.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just now, SouthWallace said:

Yeah, way too young to not at least become passable in LF with work.

What about platooning Cordell with Alonso when Eloy comes back and letting Eloy DH against the lefties? He would still be in the field most of the time and he can still work on his defense on the side. Also keep him healthy.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

What about platooning Cordell with Alonso when Eloy comes back and letting Eloy DH against the lefties? He would still be in the field most of the time and he can still work on his defense on the side. Also keep him healthy.

anything to get Alonso less at bats is fine with me.  I am totally OK with Eloy DHing some, I just want him in the field most of the time.  He is young enough that he can still improve out there.  He will never be a good OF, but things get a whole lot easier if he can at least be a passable LF for the next 4-5 years.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

anything to get Alonso less at bats is fine with me.  I am totally OK with Eloy DHing some, I just want him in the field most of the time.  He is young enough that he can still improve out there.  He will never be a good OF, but things get a whole lot easier if he can at least be a passable LF for the next 4-5 years.  

The Sox can just DFA Alonso at anytime without penalty right? He has no future trade value so letting him get at bats to build value is a gigantic waste of time. Time to cut bait and let Palka or Skole DH. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox can just DFA Alonso at anytime without penalty right? He has no future trade value so letting him get at bats to build value is a gigantic waste of time. Time to cut bait and let Palka or Skole DH. 

Yah, they can DFA him at anytime.  They are just on the hook for the remainder of his 2019 salary unless someone claims him.