Big Bad Bobby Jenks wins $5.1 million settlement

Moan4Yoan

When I read the article I couldn't believe a surgeon would be double booked.  It may not have contributed to the outcome of the surgery but it seems wrong. Good for Bobby getting paid. 

51 minutes ago, Texsox said:

When I read the article I couldn't believe a surgeon would be double booked.  It may not have contributed to the outcome of the surgery but it seems wrong. Good for Bobby getting paid. 

Surgeons are always booked like this at teaching hospitals like MGH and University of Chicago etc. The supervising physician is working with a fellow and at least 2 residents for all of the surgeries. He had more surgeons in that room than 90% of most surgeries. He got such a small settlement because nothing really wrong happened and the hospital didn't want to go through a protracted time with the lawsuit and settled for peanuts. 

Nothing that happened to him really changed his career path. The nick in the spinal cord covering caused him headaches and increased pain for about 2 weeks.

This is all about nothing.

Edited by ptatc

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Surgeons are always booked like this at teaching hospitals like MGH and University of Chicago etc. The supervising physician is working with a fellow and at least 2 residents for all of the surgeries. He had more surgeons in that room than 90% of most surgeries. He got such a small settlement because nothing really wrong happened and the hospital didn't want to go through a protracted time with the lawsuit and settled for peanuts. 

Nothing that happened to him really changed his career path. The nick in the spinal cord covering caused him headaches and increased pain for about 2 weeks.

This is all about nothing.

Sure but it was sold as an opportunity to continue his career - his only one - and it effectively actually ended it and caused pain. 

This is no where near the Luol Deng nonsense so I don't even want to use that strawman but I'm curious as to your take on how the bulls handled that.

1 hour ago, Donaldo said:

I've dealt with teaching hospitals before... NEVER AGAIN.

Good for Bobby.  👍

they are generally the best with the nest care. but no hospitals are perfect. stuff happens.

I consider most team directed doctors - or recommended ones - to be a lot like HR is to a company. You may be sold that they are there to protect you and your rights but in reality, they are there to protect and enhance the companies future even if it comes at the expense of one or two individuals.

My team doctors job was to get me on the field, not to ensure my arm or body feels good at 50 years old.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure but it was sold as an opportunity to continue his career - his only one - and it effectively actually ended it and caused pain. 

This is no where near the Luol Deng nonsense so I don't even want to use that strawman but I'm curious as to your take on how the bulls handled that.

the issue he sued for had nothing to do with the reason he couldn't continue he his career. the surgery didnt save his career but that wasn't what the lawsuit was about. the lawsuit was about the nick in the spinal cord coverings. that did not effect the outcome of the surgery.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I consider most team directed doctors - or recommended ones - to be a lot like HR is to a company. You may be sold that they are there to protect you and your rights but in reality, they are there to protect and enhance the companies future even if it comes at the expense of one or two individuals.

My team doctors job was to get me on the field, not to ensure my arm or body feels good at 50 years old.

I would disagree with this. the doctors job is to get them healthy. this encompasses both goals. there is nothing that would get them in the field that wouldn't make their body feels good at 50. 

this is the difference in the Derrick rose meniscal surgeries where one took him a year to recover and the other took 6 weeks. sometimes they can save tissue sometimes they cant.

I would say the bigger issue is that just because a physician is the team physician for a pro sports team doesn't mean he is the best physician.  it just means his company paid what was needed to get that job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

Just seeing the phrase "concurrent surgeries" at the end of that article made me squirm. Who would ever think that's ok? Especially when it's something that could result in spinal cord damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Just seeing the phrase "concurrent surgeries" at the end of that article made me squirm. Who would ever think that's ok? Especially when it's something that could result in spinal cord damage.

that's how surgeon learn, under the supervision of experienced surgeons.  there was no spinal cord damage. if he was paralyzed or partially paralyzed or if it truly changed his career, the settlement would have been much higher.

He just had headaches for a little while. No damage was done to his spinal cord.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Did he have responsibilities in two different operating rooms at the same time?

supervisory. he would be the surgeon of record while the fellows and residents did most of the basic work.

I dont know about this situation specifically but that's usually how it works.

This is common in teaching hospitals.  They will stagger start cases.  The fellows or residents (who are doctors) will often open and close the wounds.  The primary surgeon performs or directly supervises the critical portions of the surgeries.  I have seen this all the time at multiple facilities.  Major name heart surgeons often have rooms start about every hour and are present when the actual surgery on the heart is performed and the heart restarted.  Fellows handle much of the open/close.  I would imagine the same for major orthopedic surgeons ala Andrews etc.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

So his role isn't that important. He can leave the fellows and residents unsupervised while they operate. 

it is important as he'll do the fine detailed work but not cutting the skin, fascia and muscle. his role is important but not time intensive other than checking the work of the others

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

This is common in teaching hospitals.  They will stagger start cases.  The fellows or residents (who are doctors) will often open and close the wounds.  The primary surgeon performs or directly supervises the critical portions of the surgeries.  I have seen this all the time at multiple facilities.  Major name heart surgeons often have rooms start about every hour and are present when the actual surgery on the heart is performed and the heart restarted.  Fellows handle much of the open/close.  I would imagine the same for major orthopedic surgeons ala Andrews etc.

This.