Sox @ Jays 5/12 12:07CT Happy Mothers Day!

justBLAZE

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

A home run is not a ball in play, therefore it does affect his BA. 

Fair enough. Either way, this is nitpicking, and it's discussing a best-case scenario that Moncada hasn't proven he can meet yet. He sustained better than a 25% k-rate for all of 26 games or so. He can be a great player, but as far as I'm concerned, the chance that he ever hits .300 is slim to none.

Second consecutive quality start by Giolito.  This follows Nova's 2nd consecutive QS yesterday.  Lopez has QS's in 3 of his last 4 starts. 

Things are certainly looking up. With Rodon out, these guys are now our Big Three, at least for the time being.  Between the 3 of them, they have 11 of the team's 14 quality starts (Rodon has the other 3).

For the "Debbie downers"/trolls out there:  8 of the 11 QS's have been against the bottom 3 teams in runs scored (Toronto, Cleveland, and Detroit).

Hopefully the good starting pitching continues as the schedule eventually ramps up to better hitting teams.

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

He wasn't just wrong. He pretty much got straight up pwned lol. 

Not that he realizes it. He just makes up some numbers that Moncada's never yet put up, bumps the BA up to .280 (still a good distance from .300, especially considering it's a made-up, best-case scenario), and declares himself correct. Hilariously sad.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

Second consecutive quality start by Giolito.  This follows Nova's 2nd consecutive QS yesterday.  Lopez has QS's in 3 of his last 4 starts

Things are certainly looking up. With Rodon out, these guys are now our Big Three, at least for the time being.  Between the 3 of them, they have 11 of the team's 14 quality starts (Rodon has the other 3).

For the "Debbie downers"/trolls out there:  8 of the 11 QS's have been against the bottom 3 teams in runs scored (Toronto, Cleveland, and Detroit).

Hopefully the good starting pitching continues as the schedule eventually ramps up to better hitting teams.

Lopez and Giolito are the only guys that matter here. Hopefully Nova can get through the year with over 200 plus innings pitched but I wouldn't bet on it. 

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Not that he realizes it. He just makes up some numbers that Moncada's never yet put up, bumps the BA up to .280 (still a good distance from .300, especially considering it's a made-up, best-case scenario), and declares himself correct. Hilariously sad.

My numbers were based on Moncada's performance with the White Sox. I'm not sure what I could have made up, or why it's hilariously sad. I know your schtick is that you're the only human being in history to never be wrong about anything, but to quote you after you presented erroneous calculations: You were wrong, it's ok.

Edited by Jose Abreu
spelling

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Yep. If baseball is a game of inches, then 280 is nowhere close to 300. That difference has a lot of guys in hall of very good vs in Cooperstown. 

Just now, soxfan49 said:

RT @JeffKCollins: Only these starting pitchers have 94+ MPH fastballs with more vertical movement than Lucas Giolito and Chris Paddack:

Gerrit Cole

Mike Clevinger

Blake Snell

Justin Verlander

Ummmm, that’s pretty good company 😍

Nice 9th inning by Bummer.  Looks like Renteria has noticed that Bummer had yet to give up a run this year (now at 9 IP).  Looks like RR is going to use him in game situations in the late innings.

A word of caution:  isn't this exactly the way Fry started out last year before he fell apart?  Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself.

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

My numbers were based on Moncada's performance with the White Sox. I'm not sure what I could have made up, or why it's hilariously sad. I know your schtick is that you're the only human being in history to never be wrong about anything, but to quote you after you presented erroneous calculations: You were wrong, it's ok.

You gave him a K-rate that he's never had and still ended up 7% short of where you claimed he could be.

This is dumb. This is a dumb argument. I think Yoan will be a good player. I just don't think he's going to hit .300. The numbers don't add up, and I do not consider .280 to be "close" to .300. He's going to hit .260-.270, strike out a bunch, and put up an .800 or so OPS. 

Good, not really a superstar, probably a little less than we'd want in return for Sale, but we'll see what becomes of Kopech and Basabe and probably come out a little bit ahead.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

Nice 9th inning by Bummer.  Looks like Renteria has noticed that Bummer had yet to give up a run this year (now at 9 IP).  Looks like RR is going to use him in game situations in the late innings.

A word of caution:  isn't this exactly the way Fry started out last year before he fell apart?  Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself.

Fry's best moments last year were in the middle of the season IIRC. Either way, while shaky, he has been starting to look better lately. Having 2019 Bummer and 2018 Fry would be huge. 

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

You gave him a K-rate that he's never had and still ended up 7% short of where you claimed he could be.

This is dumb. This is a dumb argument. I think Yoan will be a good player. I just don't think he's going to hit .300. The numbers don't add up, and I do not consider .280 to be "close" to .300. He's going to hit .260-.270, strike out a bunch, and put up an .800 or so OPS. 

I gave him a 25% K-rate because that was the parameter you set with your first post. I do agree that his K-rate this year might be a little higher than that. Either way, I still am not sure of what you have accused me of making up, unless it was the K-rate, which was set by you. 

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I gave him a 25% K-rate because that was the parameter you set with your first post. I do agree that his K-rate this year might be a little higher than that. Either way, I still am not sure of what you have accused me of making up, unless it was the K-rate, which was set by you. 

He includes the 20 games with Boston because it fits his argument. You exclude it because it fits yours. I think we can have a better discussion about him around MLB draft time. 

If it were me, I'd only look at his 2018 and 2019. What he did as a greenhorn player in 2016 and 2017 is irrelevant, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He includes the 20 games with Boston because it fits his argument. You exclude it because it fits yours. I think we can have a better discussion about him around MLB draft time. 

If it were me, I'd only look at his 2018 and 2019. What he did as a greenhorn player in 2016 and 2017 is irrelevant, IMO. 

Sure, let’s look at his 33% rate from 2018. Brilliant!

43 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Lopez and Giolito are the only guys that matter here. Hopefully Nova can get through the year with over 200 plus innings pitched but I wouldn't bet on it. 

That Eaton trade is starting to look pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Even if that's the case, then I'm still not sure why his BABIP and HR rates are what they are, and I still don't understand the accusation of me making things up when I was only using his parameters, but whatever. 

The bullpen is starting to take on a different look as Bummer and Marshall join Herrera and Colome.  Starting to feel like we can hold a lead if the starter gets past six innings.  Lets keep it up.  Only Minnesota has a team that looks tough.  We don't have to give up when the Central is this thin of quality teams.  The upcoming series with Minnesota will tell a lot about how far we go in 2019.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

The bullpen is starting to take on a different look as Bummer and Marshall join Herrera and Colome.  Starting to feel like we can hold a lead if the starter gets past six innings.  Lets keep it up.  Only Minnesota has a team that looks tough.  We don't have to give up when the Central is this thin of quality teams.  The upcoming series with Minnesota will tell a lot about how far we go in 2019.

Kind of a good sign we win some road games this year so far. We shall see. At times our lineup looks so awful. If I didn't know better I'd say we have a much better record than we should under Ricky.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Kind of a good sign we win some road games this year so far. We shall see. At times our lineup looks so awful. If I didn't know better I'd say we have a much better record than we should under Ricky.

I think we just have better players this year.  But they are still raw so the games are going to be peaks and valleys of individual performances.  I don’t think we’ll see any kind of steady from many of the players this year- just too young and raw.  

Ricky has an impossible job of managing that and trying to turn that randomness into wins.  Micromanaging Ricky’s every decision is a fool’s errand IMO.  As a whole, the guys look to be developing nicely.  The arrow is pointing up generally.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I just read that the advice Giolito received, which led him to shorten his arm delivery, going from straight arm to bent arm, came from his old high school pitching coach, Ethan Katz. So it looks like this is not a case of "Coop fixed him":

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/lucas-giolito-strikes-out-eight-in-win-over-blue-jays 

“Early in the game, Giolito and catcher James McCann realized that the fastball-changeup combination that allowed him success in his last start against Cleveland -- in which he threw 7 1/3 scoreless innings -- was not going to work against the Blue Jays, and they altered their plan. According to Statcast, the hurler threw only 45 fastballs among his 105 pitches, going to his slider and curveball a total of 31 times.”

this is the type of stuff that doesn’t show up in a catcher’s “advanced metrics” but is invaluable to a pitcher and team’s success.

If Coop wasn’t helping guys, wasn’t an asset or was hurting guys...he would not be on the team.  This hatred for Coop or thinking he’s a dinosaur, or saying the game has passed him by is not based in fact.  It’s conjecture.  Overall body of work is solid- Gio and Lopez are progressing and the young bullpen guys are being tested in the fire   

It’s okay to give the front office credit for the pitching side of things.  I haven’t been a fan of the other 29 teams, so it’s hard to compare, but the Sox seem to be really good at identifying pitching.  

The north side is horrendous at it and that’s about all I know. 

I think we all need to chill, and if you look at the macro instead of the micro, you’ll see KW, RH, DC and yes, even JR, are building an absolute monster.