5/12 Games

soxfan49

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Law had him at 112 and I thought that was too high.

The Sox moved Moncada off second base for this kid. Unbelievable. 

Legit Question: Can the guy even hit a baseball out of the ballpark using a wooden bat during BP? 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His BABIP seems very low.  I haven’t been able to watch him this year, but it seems like he’s gotten a bit unlucky.

Right now his BABIP is at .263. Last year he was at .319 at A and A+. If his BABIP was the same as last year he would be at .310/.383/.407 line currently. I would say that is a decent line for a 2B that plays + D and runs above average. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

Right now his BABIP is at .263. Last year he was at .319 at A and A+. If his BABIP was the same as last year he would be at .310/.383/.407 line currently. I would say that is a decent line for a 2B that plays + D and runs above average. 

He needs to keep fielders honest. He’s not strong enough to hit it over RF or CF head, so they play incredibly shallow and take away his slashing ability. 

3 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

But that isn't his line. That line is fine for a 4th or 5th round pick. Not the 1.4. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

But that isn't his line. That line is fine for a 4th or 5th round pick. Not the 1.4. 

The BABIP was shown to suggest he would regress back to the mean BABIP over the course of the year and what his #s would look like. Please continue being incessantly negative with everything. It really makes this a fun place. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

The BABIP was shown to suggest he would regress back to the mean BABIP over the course of the year and what his #s would look like. Please continue being incessantly negative with everything. It really makes this a fun place. 

I understand what he is suggesting. We will see what Madrigal's numbers look like at the end of the year. As is stands right now there are at least 25 guys from the draft last year that I would trade Madrigal for in a heartbeat. 

Looking at his splits, it’s amazing how awful he is with no one on and great with runners on. Batting almost .400 with runners on and under .140 with no one on. Makes sense given less shifting on him when someone is on base.  His numbers have nose dived once Robert got promoted.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Looking at his splits, it’s amazing how awful he is with no one on and great with runners on. Batting almost .400 with runners on and under .140 with no one on. Makes sense given less shifting on him when someone is on base.  His numbers have nose dived once Robert got promoted.

I suspect that will even out some as time goes on.  The problem is that this kid was touted as the most advanced hitter in the draft last year. He should be spraying the ball all over the field and dominating the pitching at A ball. 

10 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I suspect that will even out some as time goes on.  The problem is that this kid was touted as the most advanced hitter in the draft last year. He should be spraying the ball all over the field and dominating the pitching at A ball. 

And he's not, and that is concerning, to say the least. None of their own amateur players that they've scouted and signed have done jack shit. Anderson and Sale are more of the Blind squirrel/nut variety. Collins looks the best out of all of those guys, and I'm not a huge fan of him, to say the least. I think Collins would look a lot like 2019 Alonso at the MLB level. Lots of walks, lots of Ks, the occasional dinger, and a BA south of Mendoza. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

And he's not, and that is concerning, to say the least. None of their own amateur players that they've scouted and signed have done jack shit. Anderson and Sale are more of the Blind squirrel/nut variety. 

Nah, you have to give credit where credit is due.  Anderson was extremely raw when drafted and has developed nicely.  Sale was not supposed to be this dominant.  A lot of people pegged him to be in the pen.  

1 minute ago, GGajewski18 said:

Nah, you have to give credit where credit is due.  Anderson was extremely raw when drafted and has developed nicely.  Sale was not supposed to be this dominant.  A lot of people pegged him to be in the pen.  

Sale was a polarizing prospect. MLB pipeline had him mocked 4th overall that year. It depended on who you spoke to. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

50 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I‘ll just say this:

The mental gymnastics some people are willing to do to knock Madrigal are pretty amazing.

And I would counter the excuses people make for him are just as bad. Right now he’s playing like a worst case scenario for when he was picked.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I would counter the excuses people make for him are just as bad. Right now he’s playing like a worst case scenario for when he was picked.

I’ve got disagree fathom.  His BB & K rates have improved and while not great his ISO is actually better.  The biggest drag to his numbers right now is his BABIP and that should get better by the end of the season (how much remains to be seen).  And I’m not suggesting he’s playing well enough to warrant 1-4 selection just yet (he needs to show more power), but he clearly could be playing worse than he is right now.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve got disagree fathom.  His BB & K rates have improved and while not great his ISO is actually better.  The biggest drag to his numbers right now is his BABIP and that should get better by the end of the season (how much remains to be seen).  And I’m not suggesting he’s playing well enough to warrant 1-4 selection just yet (he needs to show more power), but he clearly could be playing worse than he is right now.

No one ever doubted his bat to ball ability. More that he just doesn’t have the natural strength to be able to drive professional velocity. I know there have been quite a few scouts that have followed Madrigal that have stated he needs to make changes to his swing (leg kick) in order to handle velocity better.  That hasn’t happened yet, so it will be interesting to see if they do make some changes to it.  You see a day like today where he has a handful of weak pop ups to the right side, and that particular swing flaw is magnified. He’s always going to be reliant on BABIP, but if he’s making a lot of weak contact, it’s going to trend to be lower than expected.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

We are not talking about finished products here. Actually not even talking about a guy who has been a professional very long.