THE NEXT TWELVE WEEKS

poppysox

Entering an interesting period leading up to the trade deadline on July 31.  By then we will know if the results we see in Anderson, Moncada, McCann, Gioito Lopez, Tilson, Bummer, Marshall are real or just temporary flashes.  Jimenez will be back and have a chance to show his wares.  Will we be buyers or sellers when it comes to the 2019 club? Will Abreu be extended?  Maybe bringing up Robert & Madrigal early by some peoples take on it.  Is Rondon having surgery?  A nice winning streak could change our minds about trying to make something of this season.   Losses will have us trying to get something for those deemed expendable like Alonzo, Colome, Herrera and virtually anyone not in the core.  If Minnesota cools down a bit we might find ourselves more interested in 2019 than most expect.  Here's hoping!

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Entering an interesting period leading up to the trade deadline on July 31.  By then we will know if the results we see in Anderson, Moncada, McCann, Gioito Lopez, Tilson, Bummer, Marshall are real or just temporary flashes.  Jimenez will be back and have a chance to show his wares.  Will we be buyers or sellers when it comes to the 2019 club? Will Abreu be extended?  Maybe bringing up Robert & Madrigal early by some peoples take on it.  Is Rondon having surgery?  A nice winning streak could change our minds about trying to make something of this season.   Losses will have us trying to get something for those deemed expendable like Alonzo, Colome, Herrera and virtually anyone not in the core.  If Minnesota cools down a bit we might find ourselves more interested in 2019 than most expect.  Here's hoping!

I hope that Colome stays with the White Sox. He has been the only good closer the team has had since Dave Robertson.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Maybe bringing up Robert & Madrigal early by some peoples take on it.  

Not picking on you, but can we FUCKING pump the brakes on this?

FFS, he's hitting .235/a measly wRC+ of 107 in Birmingham. [Yes, I know about SSS, and the ballpark factor.] 

He Doesn't Look Ready-Yet

IMO, nothing about his numbers in AA suggest to me that he's anywhere near ready, just yet. Can we let him get back to DOMINANCE in AA before we call him up? Eloy DESTROYED AA, and before the injury, he wasn't exactly JDM at the dish in the Bigs.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

FFS, he's hitting .235/a measly wRC+ of 107 in Birmingham. [Yes, I know about SSS, and the ballpark factor.] 

IMO, nothing about his numbers in AA suggest to me that he's anywhere near ready, just yet. Can we let him get back to DOMINANCE in AA before we call him up? Eloy DESTROYED AA, and before the injury, he wasn't exactly JDM at the dish.

1) Maybe you should pump the brakes. He was a) laying out a ton of hypotheticals and b) he said *maybe*

2) Of anything to go after in that segment, you pick the Robert part? I think the mere idea of calling up Madrigal at any point this year probably deserves a ton more disdain than the idea of Robert

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

IMO, nothing about his numbers in AA suggest to me that he's anywhere near ready, just yet. Can we let him get back to DOMINANCE in AA before we call him up? Eloy DESTROYED AA, and before the injury, he wasn't exactly JDM at the dish.

I think the intention was that many different types of things could happen in the next 12 weeks including the  possibility of early callups that you mention.  I'm not advocating for any one particular action.  Example : The Abreu decision will probably be made in that time period.  I'm 50/50 as I see both sides.  Interesting 12 weeks.

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I hope that Colome stays with the White Sox. He has been the only good closer the team has had since Dave Robertson.

Eh, he’s one of our best tradable resources.  I hope the Sox try to work a deal with the Cubs again for Ian Happ.  He would look pretty good in RF.

20 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Eh, he’s one of our best tradable resources.  I hope the Sox try to work a deal with the Cubs again for Ian Happ.  He would look pretty good in RF.

I'm with you Harper, no matter what happens, they should trade Colome, Abreu, and if Herrera regains his value, him too. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm with you Harper, no matter what happens, they should trade Colome, Abreu, and if Herrera regains his value, him too. 

All of these guys are trade pieces.  Nothing more.  If Alonso can ever figure it out, him as well.

10 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Colome might be one of our best tradeable resources but I just hope the team has somebody who can close out games if he 's traded. I don't want  to go another  year and a half without a closer. I also don't want him traded for nothing like Hahn traded Dave Robertson for nothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Colome might be one of our best tradeable resources but I just hope the team has somebody who can close out games if he 's traded. I don't want  to go another  year and a half without a closer. I also don't want him traded for nothing like Hahn traded Dave Robertson for nothing.

FFS, the Sox traded Robertson (who had neutral value due to his salary) in a deal that netted them a top 50 prospect at the time.  If the So did that with Colome, I would be doing backflips. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Entering an interesting period leading up to the trade deadline on July 31.  By then we will know if the results we see in Anderson, Moncada, McCann, Gioito Lopez, Tilson, Bummer, Marshall are real or just temporary flashes.  Jimenez will be back and have a chance to show his wares.  Will we be buyers or sellers when it comes to the 2019 club? 

The Sox are not going to be buyers.  Even if they somehow are around .500 coming July, they're still not trading legitimate future assets for current pieces.  The one exception I could see to this is perhaps trading for a controllable SP, but it wouldn't really be a "win now" buyers type move.

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Will Abreu be extended?  Maybe bringing up Robert & Madrigal early by some peoples take on it.  Is Rondon having surgery?  A nice winning streak could change our minds about trying to make something of this season.   Losses will have us trying to get something for those deemed expendable like Alonzo, Colome, Herrera and virtually anyone not in the core. 

I highly doubt Abreu is extended in the next 12 weeks.  But I would certainly throw a 2 year $20-22M deal at him right now and see if he takes it.

Robert and Madrigal will not see an inning of time with the White Sox in 2019. Nor should they.

I don't think Rondon is going to have surgery, but Rodon may.  I think the Sox are exploring all alternatives on that, because if it is TJS, chances are at best a coinflip that his career with the Sox is over.  

Alonso will be DFA'd prior to the trade deadline, IMO.  Maybe someone desperate for a LH bat is willing to take on like $1M to get him, but I doubt it.  

I would be very surprised if Colome is on the White Sox come August 1st.  

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

FFS, the Sox traded Robertson (who had neutral value due to his salary) in a deal that netted them a top 50 prospect at the time.  If the So did that with Colome, I would be doing backflips. 

I would do backflips if Colome was traded and they received a good player in return. Not a bust like they received for Robertson.

43 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I would do backflips if Colome was traded and they received a good player in return. Not a bust like they received for Robertson.

Lol, hindsight is 20/20.  Rutherford just turned 22 like a week ago, so it is far too early to call him a bust IMO.  But obviously he has not been good with the White Sox and I suspect at this point his chances of being an average MLB regular are fairly low.  But you make that trade 100 out of 100 times.  Sometimes prospects don't work out. 

FWIW - the two OF bats ranked closest to what Rutherford was ranked when the Sox acquired him are Luis Robert and Yordan Alvarez.  Me thinks we'd all be pretty happy if the Sox traded Colome for someone of that magnitude.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kahnle mostly netted them Rutherford,  not Robertson. It was obviously some aggregate of Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier but the vast majority of the value was in the young controllable fireballer. 

I'd make that trade too, but the chances of getting a > Top 50 guy for Colome are sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim  so I'd rather hang on to him for next year than trade him just to trade him. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Kahnle mostly netted them Rutherford,  not Robertson. It was obviously some aggregate of Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier but the vast majority of the value was in the young controllable fireballer. 

I'd make that trade too, but the chances of getting a > Top 50 guy for Colome are sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim  so I'd rather hang on to him for next year than trade him just to trade him. 

Right.  Hence why I said "part of a deal that netted them...".  Mainly just telling WBW that the trade doesn't look great in hindsight because Rutherford has stalled some, but its still a deal you do 100 out of 100 times.  I agree that the Sox have zero chance to get a top 50 prospect for Colome. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  Hence why I said "part of a deal that netted them...".

You didn't say that 😉

But yeah, he's not worth a very interesting prospect, so I'd rather hold him and make at least some effort to be competitive in 2020 than trade him for Kodi Medeiros or Ryan Cordell. 

If you can get someone like Miguel Amaya+ off the Cubs hands, I'd be willing to reconsider my position.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

You didn't say that 😉

But yeah, he's not worth a very interesting prospect, so I'd rather hold him and make at least some effort to be competitive in 2020 than trade him for Kodi Medeiros or Ryan Cordell. 

If you can get someone like Miguel Amaya+ off the Cubs hands, I'd be willing to reconsider my position.

Ahhh..yah..."the Sox traded Robertson (who had neutral value due to his salary) in a deal that netted them a top 50 prospect".  Close enough.  

I so think the Sox would do better the Medeiros or Cordell types with Colome if he keeps his current performance up.  Teams love to overpay for relievers  in July.  But top 50 guy is a pipedream.  Inter-division trades are unlikely,  but the Twins could certainly use Colome.  

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If it's a top 50 ready to make the jump to the big club I would like it as well.  Backflips are however out of the question.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Isn't he on the IL for concussion protocol?

Edit: article I found yesterday says he will be back today.

I don't think so.  I think he'll be back next week.  He's able to go into concussion testing today, which I believes lasts a minimum of 5 days.

Zavala is back today, though.