Rodon TJS

fathom

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is fairly typical around all organizations not something only the White Sox deal with. 

Yea, the Yankees just put their 17th guy on the IL today. 

In the case of the Sox, I'm sure Williams-Hahn will use the large number of injuries as an excuse to extend  the 3-5 year rebuild to 3-8 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

Yea, the Yankees just put their 17th guy on the IL today. 

In the case of the Sox, I'm sure Williams-Hahn will use the large number of injuries as an excuse to extend  the 3-5 year rebuild to 3-8 years.

There is no 8 years. That would be a new rebuild at that point. They know this. 

I think there is any way the Sox don't tender Rodon during this. They have a bottom 5 payroll for the foreseable future and probably still hold out hope Rodon becomes something useful for them (unlikely IMO)

Edited by TheTruth05

No. 3 pick in the 2014 Draft. OK the rebuild fanatics are safe here. We weren't exactly tanking yet when we took him No. 3 overall so he doesn't count as a flop in the rebuild era, just a bit before. But it still is a horsebleep draft pick in hindsight. Somebody should pay for what turned out to be the wrong pick.

That said, injury wise, I wish him the best. He had some good outings and I wish him well in his recovery and comeback.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

This makes sense.  Rodon wants to be healthy for next contract, which will undoubtedly be with another team.  

Rebuild = not going as planned.  

Rodon was never a key to this. I'd also argue that attrition is part of the plan anyway, at least it had better be. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No. 3 pick in the 2014 Draft. OK the rebuild fanatics are safe here. We weren't exactly tanking yet when we took him No. 3 overall so he doesn't count as a flop in the rebuild era, just a bit before. But it still is a horsebleep draft pick in hindsight. Somebody should pay for what turned out to be the wrong pick.

That said, injury wise, I wish him the best. He had some good outings and I wish him well in his recovery and comeback.

It was considered a minor miracle that he was available at 3. Injuries happen. Sucks it didn't work out but out of all the picks to complain about, this isn't really one. 

I can't really fault any team for not being to predict pitching injuries, because if any one could, they'd be the single richest person in baseball. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Rodon was never a key to this. I'd also argue that attrition is part of the plan anyway, at least it had better be. 

Hopefully next year will be Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, and Lambert...and none of them get hurt. Ha, yeah right.

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They continue to go down left and right. Still wondering if the Sox have even considered the idea of having some independent outside people come in from the medical and physical therapy areas to evaluate the Sox entire medical / training and conditioning staffs and procedures.    

ligaments are a tricky thing. they aren't really part of a training program as you cant strengthen them much. they are usually injured in one time incidences such as sprained ankles or ACL tears. the UCL tears are typically linked to 2 factors.  1. throwing too many fastballs at near max. 2. having an arm angle below 3/4. there are others but those are the primary ones.

The Sox organization is a title different where they dont really teach mechanics and allow the pitchers to do what they want until there are issues ala Chris Sale. They preach more if staying balanced and try not to overthrow. This is some of the reasons for Cooper sacrificing velocity for more movement.  

With Kopech it was the velocity issue and possibly being too strong and overcoming the ligament strength.

With Rodon I think it's more the arm angle and the dumb fellow though I've commented on since he was drafted.

Jones has the upright follow through similar to Rondon. He also really short arms the ball.

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is fairly typical around all organizations not something only the White Sox deal with. 

I understand that but what would it hurt given what is at stake? Maybe something is being missed, maybe there is something new out there conditioning wise for example that isn't known by the Sox. Seems like cheap insurance to me. 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I understand that but what would it hurt given what is at stake? Maybe something is being missed, maybe there is something new out there conditioning wise for example that isn't known by the Sox. Seems like cheap insurance to me. 

they do. all of the sports med guys go to the same yearly conferences.  there is even one specifically for baseball. they all get the same journals.

just depends on how they implement it. typically it's the older guys who dont like change like in any business  The Sox group is fairly young.

3 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Any chance the 50 sliders in one game and the dramatic jump in its usage this year played a part in this......🤔🤔

Or was he using it more bc the fastball was lost and the slider was just masking the injury 

I would say both have a fairly good chance to be correct.

I'll drop my usual pessimism for a second to note that, while I think Rodon is finished with us, we got more production out of him than the two other guys taken at the top of that draft. In A ball, Brady Aiken has gotten two outs this year, but walked six, and it's not a short season sample, because he walked 101 in 132 IP last year. Tyler Kolek is a 22 year old struggling in rookie ball, or at least, he was last year.

Aaron Nola would like nice right now, though.

9 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think Jones is done as a player

You would think. Probably will break camp with the team anyway. He makes Adam Engel and Avi Garcia easy to get rid of

Edited by mqr