Banuelos leaves game with shoulder soreness

Sockin

8 hours ago, Quin said:

Stephens, Adams and Guerrero have all been getting blown up.

Guys on the 40-man:

Medeiros, Stephens.

Names who could be added once Rodon is put on the 60-day:

Guerrero, Adams, Cease.

Outside of Cease, I fear for all of them.

You could throw Flores in there, but I doubt they'd want to rush him. Wth Medeiros, I don't think they'd care at this point. 

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Someone needs to find the phone #'s of Keuchel & Kimbrel.

It's probably time to write off Stephens, Guerrero, and Adams. I don't think any of them have any future with the Sox whatsoever. 

Keuchel and Kimbrel ain't happening. The Sox are aiming for another top 10 pick this year not the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Flores, Lambert, or Detwiler are my guesses 

I don't know if they want to use the 40-man spot on them yet.

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

It's probably time to write off Stephens, Guerrero, and Adams. I don't think any of them have any future with the Sox whatsoever. 

Keuchel and Kimbrel ain't happening. The Sox are aiming for another top 10 pick this year not the playoffs. 

They'd basically be cannon fodder to try and squeeze out 5 innings.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Said it before but what about trading for Cashner.

Not a terrible idea. Dude only has 33 k's in 42 innings pitched this year though. 

He also is making 8 million this year. I'm not sure if the Sox want to take on any more salary. 

Honestly for our current situation I don't know how Hahn can say they can't find anything outside the organization when James Shields is sitting at home. What's the difference between him and Ervin Santana, besides the fact Shields would be way better (not a high bar)?

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Honestly for our current situation I don't know how Hahn can say they can't find anything outside the organization when James Shields is sitting at home. What's the difference between him and Ervin Santana, besides the fact Shields would be way better (not a high bar)?

I think with Shields it is more of an optics thing. Bringing him back would clearly signal to everyone that this rebuild is not going nearly as planned. Shields is also a painful reminder of the Tatis trade. A trade that Hahn and company would like to everyone to forget ever happened. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

I think with Shields it is more of an optics thing. Bringing him back would clearly signal to everyone that this rebuild is not going nearly as planned. Shields is also a painful reminder of the Tatis trade. A trade that Hahn and company would like to everyone to forget ever happened. 

I mean I get it but to anyone paying attention, Ross Detwiler is going to be a hell of a message too

47 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Not a terrible idea. Dude only has 33 k's in 42 innings pitched this year though. 

He also is making 8 million this year. I'm not sure if the Sox want to take on any more salary. 

He's not good but he's not embarrassing and you would be unlikely to need to give up anything of significance.

11 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Flores, Lambert, or Detwiler are my guesses 

Yah, its going to be one of those three (or Fulmer).  Though we'll likely see a 40 man bullpen arm (Ruiz, Frare of Vieira) up for the weekend before Flores, Lambert or Detwiler get the call on Monday.  Or maybe we see some sort of minor trade / waiver claim over the weekend.

Rodon can be moved to the 60 day IL to make room for any of those options.

Edited by ChiSox59

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's not good but he's not embarrassing and you would be unlikely to need to give up anything of significance.

It's a move the Sox should consider for sure. Do you think they would take on his salary though? 

Would someone like Forbes be enough? I'm assuming the Sox will want Baltimore to send some $ over in the trade. 

24 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

It's a move the Sox should consider for sure. Do you think they would take on his salary though? 

Would someone like Forbes be enough? I'm assuming the Sox will want Baltimore to send some $ over in the trade. 

I would not give up forbes. We are doing them a favor. I think sox would take on salary for a single year, they just need to keep him under 187 IP.

I would give them like the remaining 2018 intl money + taylor varnell.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would not give up forbes. We are doing them a favor. I think sox would take on salary for a single year, they just need to keep him under 187 IP.

I would give them like the remaining 2018 intl money + taylor varnell.

Can we trust the Sox FO to be competent enough to monitor both the ABs of Alonso and the innings pitched of Cashner? 

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Can we trust the Sox FO to be competent enough to monitor both the ABs of Alonso and the innings pitched of Cashner? 

Cashner averages 5.1 innings per start. He has 144 innings to go before 187. That means he would need to pitch in 35 games this year to hit that, which is impossible. Even when he was good he never hit 187 ip in a season.

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They already have in a sense, his name was Santana. I can't believe I'm saying this but would they consider bringing back James Shields who threw for some teams last week?

Might be happening.  Kenny might play hardball negotiating to work him down to just $20 million this time.  All in! 

2 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

This is why people are unhappy with the Jon Jay and Alonso acquisitions.

23 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Hahn might act when you least expect it.  He said the money would be spent.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Hahn might act when you least expect it.  He said the money would be spent.

I doubt this year. The penalty of a draft pick expires soon, at which point both will probably sign. Atlanta seems to be rumored w both but I can see the Yankees going after Keuchel. Twins are an interesting rumor for Kimbrel. I am amazed Boston has not changed their mind. Their bullpen is blah. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I doubt this year. The penalty of a draft pick expires soon, at which point both will probably sign. Atlanta seems to be rumored w both but I can see the Yankees going after Keuchel. Twins are an interesting rumor for Kimbrel. I am amazed Boston has not changed their mind. Their bullpen is blah. 

Minnesota's ownership opening up the wallet is a scary thought. 

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Boston's luxury tax penalty number right now is something like $240 million+. If they add $10 million to that, they will cross into the upper tier of the luxury tax penalties where the percentages shoot up and it costs them a draft pick.