Banuelos leaves game with shoulder soreness

Sockin

22 hours ago, poppysox said:

This is why people are unhappy with the Jon Jay and Alonso acquisitions.

When I was unhappy with them, it was not "oh no we may not be able to trade for Andrew Cashner to replace Manny Banuelos"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Boston's luxury tax penalty number right now is something like $240 million+. If they add $10 million to that, they will cross into the upper tier of the luxury tax penalties where the percentages shoot up and it costs them a draft pick. 

Agree. Kimbrel was  a big part of their success last year  But the luxury tax  is why they didn't resign him when he wanted the $!00Mil deal.   Rumors now have him down to what  he made last year $13Mil per. Not sure what that is if prorated

Red Sox paid $12 Mil luxury last year.  But it is estimated they will profit by 25 Mil by their making the playoffs last year. This year will be harder as the Rays and Yankees are both contenders.  Pencil pushers may make the call more than baseball people. 

Edited by SCCWS
SP

Just now, SCCWS said:

Agree. Kimbrel was  a big part of their success last year  But the luxury tax  is why they didn't resign him when he wanted the $!00Mil deal.   Rumors now have him down to what  he made last year $13Mil per. Not sure what that is if prorated

Red Sox paid $2 Mil luxury last year.  But it is estimated they will profit by 25 Mil by their making the playoffs last year. This year will be harder as the Rays and Yankees are both contenders.  Pencil pushers may make the call more than baseball people. 

Did you mean to write $12 million instead of $2 million? Boston's luxury tax was $12 million last year.

Since the Hahn thread is inexplicably locked: Chris Bassit, our old friend and Hahn "throw in" has now pitched roughtly 200 MLB innnings for the As and his given them 2.5 fWAR.  He looks to be improving and has had a great start to 2019.  He's 30 and has a few good years left most likely.

19 minutes ago, skooch said:

Add in Semien (4.2 bWAR last year and 1.9 already this year with 1E in 44G) and Phegley (0.6 bWAR and leading AL in CS) and that trade doesn't look too hot in the rear view mirror either.

Yesterday when I was driving I overheard a conversation with a Mariners reporter about Narvaez.  He said it was well known the the White Sox cannot develop catchers (defensively) and that the best thing that ever happened to Narvaez was getting out of Chicago.  It was a tough listen as a Sox fan.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yesterday when I was driving I overheard a conversation with a Mariners reporter about Narvaez.  He said it was well known the the White Sox cannot develop catchers (defensively) and that the best thing that ever happened to Narvaez was getting out of Chicago.  It was a tough listen as a Sox fan.

I'd take the under on Narvaez being in the league in 3 years.  He isn't very good.  He can hit a little bit, but not nearly enough if he isn't catching.  I know he's been pretty good this year, but I don't see it lasting.  And Colome has been quite good.

The Sox have done OK with catchers. They turned Tyler Flowers into a decent big league catcher, and a very well respected game caller and defensive catcher.  He got poor grades as a defensive catcher in the minors.  Narvaez, while a terrible defensive catcher, the Sox plucked him out the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft and turned him into one of the better closers in the game.  Thats not bad either.  It took Phegley over 4 years to become a playable option in Oakland.  He is not a loss.   

• Love 1

Oh man, are we really about to move to Josh Phegley, who averages 40 games played per year over the past 6 years, as the next thing to incessantly complain about? With the way this board acts, you'd have no idea that Anderson and Moncada are OPSing .860+, Giolito is looking like an ace, Eloy is back in the coming days, Robert is doing well in AA, etc. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd take the under on Narvaez being in the league in 3 years.  He isn't very good.  He can hit a little bit, but not nearly enough if he isn't catching.  I know he's been pretty good this year, but I don't see it lasting.  And Colome has been quite good.

The Sox have done OK with catchers. They turned Tyler Flowers into a decent big league catcher, and a very well respected game caller and defensive catcher.  He got poor grades as a defensive catcher in the minors.  Narvaez, while a terrible defensive catcher, the Sox plucked him out the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft and turned him into one of the better closers in the game.  Thats not bad either.  It took Phegley over 4 years to become a playable option in Oakland.  He is not a loss.   

He's a catcher that can put up a .350 OBP.  I don't care how bad his framing is as long as he can put up 260/350/380 he'll have a MLB roster spot, albeit maybe as a backup.   I'd bet he has 5-7 years left in MLB.

Phegley is another cromulent backup the Sox basically gave up on and another org was able to polish enough to be a useful player.  Again, in isolation no big deal, but it's a pattern.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a catcher that can put up a .350 OBP.  I don't care how bad his framing is as long as he can put up 260/350/380 he'll have a MLB roster spot, albeit maybe as a backup.   I'd bet he has 5-7 years left in MLB.

Phegley is another cromulent backup the Sox basically gave up on and another org was able to polish enough to be a useful player.  Again, in isolation no big deal, but it's a pattern.

Its not just his framing that is bad.  He's an all around horrible defensive catcher.  Its beyond obvious when watching him.  Like I said, he can hit a little bit.  He's always had a good eye - the power surge he's seen the last 9-10 months has definitely been a little surprising. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No position player is useful when he's injured as often as Phegley is. I'm all for criticizing the FO but I don't see the need to complain about non-factors like this 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Back on topic - seems like maybe Banuelos will not be placed on the IL. Would have imagined that move would have been announced by now. 

If he is not going on the IL, he still needs to be replaced asap. He is throwing batting practice every start.

When do we start talking about how the Sox have been drafting top 12 every season since 2014 and have nothing to show for it?  None of the players that are/were top prospects and have become major league pieces were acquired via trade. Meanwhile, every  1st and 2nd round pick has been a disappointment. The 1st and 2nd rounds are where the majority of major leaguers are found. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When do we start talking about how the Sox have been drafting top 12 every season since 2014 and have nothing to show for it?  None of the players that are/were top prospects and have become major league pieces were acquired via trade. Meanwhile, every  1st and 2nd round pick has been a disappointment. The 1st and 2nd rounds are where the majority of major leaguers are found. 

I would disagree with the first round at least.  Rodon, Burdi and Burger have all been injured.  if you can predict injuries you would be a billionaire and not hanging with us.

Collins looks to have a shot at being a pretty good hitter.

Fuller would be a disappointment. 

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Really like Cashner for the Sox. Probably wouldn’t cost much prospects wise. 

I'd way rather just sink or swim with Lambert or Flores.  These guys are both 24 years old, so not super young.  Lets see what we got.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd way rather just sink or swim with Lambert or Flores.  These guys are both 24 years old, so not super young.  Lets see what we got.  

Agreed. This is probably their only chance to have an extended shot as starters in this organization unless they absolutely dominate AAA. I'd rather see them than someone we already know is a garbage, fringe MLBer 

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree with the first round at least.  Rodon, Burdi and Burger have all been injured.  if you can predict injuries you would be a billionaire and not hanging with us.

Collins looks to have a shot at being a pretty good hitter.

Fuller would be a disappointment. 

There is a guy who's pretty good at predicting injuries out there, but the entire industry calls him a fraud, because he's telling them what they don't want to hear. 

Ross Detwiler had a superb first outing for Charlotte. He might get a shot soon. 

Bunuelos is like a lot of decent pitchers who have issues with durability. He may be a bullpen guy. 

Edited by pcq