Hahn On Tatis Jr. Trade

Lip Man 1

From the MLB.com site:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/rick-hahn-looks-back-on-trade-of-fernando-tatis-jr

I found this statement VERY interesting: “At the same time, the decision to make that trade was motivated by elements within the organization we are trying to avoid as we complete this rebuild, as we get to the other side of the rebuild.”

Could he be referring to someone in particular? Hello....Kenny!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

God I hate this shit.  Just man up. YOU'RE THE FUCKING GM.   HAVE SOME PRIDE IF YOUR "VISION" IS BEING NEGATED THAN FUCKING RESIGN.

Sadly I've come to realize that while a smart guy and a smooth talker Hahn is just a yes man like Gar that doesn't really bring any real skills to the job other than perhaps contract negotiation.  There is a reason that JR has setup the Bulls and Sox in similar ways.  If nobody is in charge, nobody can be blamed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

God I hate this shit.  Just man up. YOU'RE THE FUCKING GM.   HAVE SOME PRIDE IF YOUR "VISION" IS BEING NEGATED THAN FUCKING RESIGN.

Sadly I've come to realize that while a smart guy and a smooth talker Hahn is just a yes man like Gar that doesn't really bring any real skills to the job other than perhaps contract negotiation.  There is a reason that JR has setup the Bulls and Sox in similar ways.  If nobody is in charge, nobody can be blamed!

^^^

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Didn't he call himself a jackass or something like that at SoxFest for doing the trade?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Didn't he call himself a jackass or something like that at SoxFest for doing the trade?

Honestly one trade doesn't make or break a GM but when your record is as bad as Hahn's and you make that trade well, it's a little different.  He can laugh that one off, eventually if you trade A ball lotto tickets for mediocre big leaguers you'll get burnt but within the context of his tenure as GM boy oh boy it just looks like a pattern.

Hahn has no excuses.  Maybe he was trying to cast blame away from himself and onto Kenny for that move but the truth is...

Hahn was trying to improve the rotation due to the other guys that he signed being epic failures in Danks and Latos so he traded Tatis Jr. for a third epic failure in Shields for a meager chance at the playoffs.  Just awful.

If the Sox would have let Kenny go anywhere else, kept Hahn signing players to team friendly contracts, and brought a legitimate GM in from the outside, they would be in a better spot right now.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

Just now, Chisox378 said:

It was a bad trade, we lost,but I predict Tatis Jr. not to be as dominant a hitter as everyone thinks.

Keep hoping and wishing.  He was already doing well before his injury and is progressing like crazy considering how young he is.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that White Sox fans still get upset by comments made by Hahn. His record as Gm is so bad that I simply don't pay any attention to him anymore. Last season I was invited to a season ticket seminar/chalk talk and Hahn was the speaker. I didn't go. I've seen him in person a number of times and for my own emotional well being I have no intention of ever hearing speak in person again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm surprised that White Sox fans still get upset by comments made by Hahn. His record as Gm is so bad that I simply don't pay any attention to him anymore. Last season I was invited to a season ticket seminar/chalk talk and Hahn was the speaker. I didn't go. I've seen him in person a number of times and for my own emotional well being I have no intention of ever hearing speak in person again.

I agree with you completely, I am the same way.

58 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Good point.  But it's kinda hard to avoid him because he certainly isn't interview shy.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone knows that Tatis would've never made it past AA had he remained with the Sox. 

They'd have moved him to CF and he'd be mired in low A ball no doubt.

57 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Good point.  But it's kinda hard to avoid him because he certainly isn't interview shy.

They'd have moved him to CF and he'd be mired in low A ball no doubt.

Hahn certainly isn't interview shy but he is plainly full of shit. I've seen him a number of times in  person at season ticket seminars and at Soxfest. If you ask him a question he doesn't like, he will talk endlessly but he won't answer your question. He does seem to be a very  happy guy and he should be. He has the worse won-loss record of any MLB GM the last 6 years and he still has his high paying job. If he had been working for virtually  any other MLB team he would have been fired 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, whitesoxbrad said:

He will be a star, no doubt about it.

His k to bb was aweful in the minors. I predict .260 average, 30 HR, 30 2B, 200ks to 50bb. We can find a player like this in our minor league system right now.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

His k to bb was aweful in the minors. I predict .260 average, 30 HR, 30 2B, 200ks to 50bb. We can find a player like this in our minor league system right now.

Baseball is offense and defense the White Sox do not have anyone in their system even close to him  except for maybe robert. Tatis will be a star.

38 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

He was like 3+ years younger than any other player at each level lol. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

He was also playing as like 3+ years younger or so than EVERYONE ELSE he went up against at like every damn level.  Imagine what he'll be able to do once he matures.  Dude seems to be a freak.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From the MLB.com site:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/rick-hahn-looks-back-on-trade-of-fernando-tatis-jr

I found this statement VERY interesting: “At the same time, the decision to make that trade was motivated by elements within the organization we are trying to avoid as we complete this rebuild, as we get to the other side of the rebuild.”

Could he be referring to someone in particular? Hello....Kenny!!!!!!!!!!!

The merciful last gasp of Kenny's ruinous All In era.

Why in the hell did Hahn even have to throw in a lottery ticket like Tatis into that deal?  Erik Johnson should have been more than enough for a James Shields who sucked and was being called out by the owner for how much he sucked if I recall correctly.  Hahn was doing the Padres a favor taking him off their hands.