I really miss this.

vilehoopster

https://www.mlb.com/news/avisail-garcia-hits-471-foot-hr-for-rays

Wouldn't this be nice to have in right field now?  What would it have cost to have kept him?  A couple million more than we're paying Nate Jones?  Probably not even that much.  A three million  more than what the White Sox are paying Jon Jay?  Less than what we're paying Yonder Alonso, that's for sure. 

• Love 1

Honestly, who's to say that if Avi stayed here that he'd A) be hitting like he is now and B) even stayed healthy to do it to this point?  We all know that he had the talent in him to do something like this, but he was just never able to consistently put it together here. If Avi was having another one of his patented Avi-like seasons no one would care that he's gone.  Hell, even if he stayed here and performed like his usual self everyone here would be wanting to drive him to the airport 2 weeks ago.  It's nice to see him doing well, sucks that he couldn't do it more often here, but it seemed to be time for both parties to go their separate ways IMO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Honestly, who's to say that if Avi stayed here that he'd A) be hitting like he is now and B) even stayed healthy to do it to this point?  We all know that he had the talent in him to do something like this, but he was just never able to consistently put it together here. If Avi was having another one of his patented Avi-like seasons no one would care that he's gone.  Hell, even if he stayed here and performed like his usual self everyone here would be wanting to drive him to the airport 2 weeks ago.  It's nice to see him doing well, sucks that he couldn't do it more often here, but it seemed to be time for both parties to go their separate ways IMO.

He was clearly hurt all last year. In a non-contending season, there was no reason not to see if he could showcase some of the improved skills from 2017.  God knows they wasted enough money this past offseason when they could have kept him around. Also, I think it’s so telling he’s finally a good defensive player now that he’s joined another organization.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

He was clearly hurt all last year. In a non-contending season, there was no reason not to see if he could showcase some of the improved skills from 2017.  God knows they wasted enough money this past offseason when they could have kept him around. Also, I think it’s so telling he’s finally a good defensive player now that he’s joined another organization.

I just think it goes to show us how insanely competent other ORGs are run OR how incredibly incompetent the Sox are.  

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

I just think it goes to show us how insanely competent other ORGs are run OR how incredibly incompetent the Sox are.  

I would say both, especially when comparing Tampa to the WSox. Arguably the most competent front office vs the worst.

• Like 1

His 2017 season was pretty good although his k to walk struggled then and struggles now. With Eloy, Tilson, and Robert, there isn't much room for him in the way future although it would have been nice to have him this season. But ya never know if he puts up 2017 numbers every year, then he may have been worth keeping for the long hall. It is what it is.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

or maybe the Sox letting him go was a wake up call for him.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah this could be very possible as well.  Could've given him the kick in the ass that he needed to get going.

I’m pretty sure going into a walk year is the biggest kick in the ass you can get

47 minutes ago, ptatc said:

or maybe the Sox letting him go was a wake up call for him.

This may be an excuse for Avisail but not for Hahn.  Hahn spent more guaranteed money ($4 million) on Jon Jay than Avisail cost ($3.5 million), and Jay hasn’t even suited up yet for the Sox.  Hahn blew another signing, period.  There is zero positive spin on this, as much as you try to defend it.  You guys are absolutely ridiculous homers to even entertain this defense of Hahn and the Sox.  Avisail at 27 was much younger than Jay at 34 and was a much better bet to improve on a one year deal but Hahn decided to sign Jay for more money because he has zero foresight and is a terrible GM.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Avi will be on the IL at least 2 times before year is up.....good riddance always hurt.

Have you even read the thread?  Hahn paid more for Jon Jay than Avi and Jay hasn’t even suited up yet for the Sox yet.  😂

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

This may be an excuse for Avisail but not for Hahn.  Hahn spent more guaranteed money ($4 million) on Jon Jay than Avisail cost ($3.5 million), and Jay hasn’t even suited up yet for the Sox.  Hahn blew another signing, period.  There is zero positive spin on this, as much as you try to defend it.  You guys are absolutely ridiculous homers to even entertain this defense of Hahn and the Sox.  Avisail at 27 was much younger than Jay at 34 and was a much better bet to improve on a one year deal but Hahn decided to sign Jay for more money because he has zero foresight and is a terrible GM.

With evaluating Avi & Jon side by side for the approximate same money I agree that my gamble would have been on Avi.  Neither one would probably be part of the next championship but Avi would for sure have made this season more entertaining.  Had a better chance at getting us something at trade deadline as well.

32 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

if it is true, then nothing the Sox could have done would have given him the wake up call he needed besides getting rid of him.

Edited by ptatc

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

if it is true, then nothing the Sox could have done would have given him the wake up call he needed besides getting rid of him.

Jerry will never work with a GM that wants only oversite from the owner.  Hahn  is a good soldier and probably works as well as anyone with our 3 headed management group.  For Jerry's part... it's hard to hold others accountable when you play a major role in the decisions they make.

I dunno, I feel like Avi has been finding his way in this game and injuries aside, will be a contributor wherever he goes. I don't think stardom is in his future though, which makes letting him go somewhat forgivable. I'd have given him one more year though, to avoid the likes of Nicky Delmonico who probably won't be a regular MLB contributor being on this team. 

At least Avi being gone allows us to see what we have in Cordell. He could become equal to Avi offensively and his superior defensively. So I'm okay with that. 

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Honestly, who's to say that if Avi stayed here that he'd A) be hitting like he is now and B) even stayed healthy to do it to this point? 

With all due respect this is unfair and in greg's opinion, a very poor take. We're to the point we hate Avi so much we just decide, 'Ah he was no good he wouldn't be doing that in Chicago.' That was a BOMB. I worship Avi and congratulate him for that blast. The guy was run out of town by a front office that didn't respect him and fans who don't respect their own (not everybody, but many). I mean Avi Garcia when healthy is a very very very good hitter. Yes he gets hurt which seemingly a lotta players do. Love you Avi Garcia. You don't make a ton of money but enough you and your family are all set for life 10 times over. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

PTATC I think you are my favorite poster and I respect your medical ability and knowledge. Very surprised at this take. Wake up call? Just 2 seasons ago didn't he hit .335? He hustled his ass off. Wake up call? I disagree he needed any wake up call. 

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

Even if you argue that letting García go gave him the wakeup call to perform this season, why did Hahn pay more base salary for a guy in Jay who arguably had a worse offensive season last year?  Obviously, Jay can’t stay healthy either so that’s a tough sell as well.

Edited by Harper2Sox