I really miss this.

vilehoopster

6 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I assume none of the above posters were among the group calling to DFA Avi for the past 4 seasons?

I remember some posters, including fathom, wondering why Hahn didn’t just bring back García after seeing him acquire junk like Alonso and Jay and ultimately whiff on Machado.  And also because Hahn didn’t improve the outfield at all.

Edited by Harper2Sox

59 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Even if you argue that letting García go gave him the wakeup call to perform this season, why did Hahn pay more base salary for a guy in Jay who arguably had a worse offensive season last year?  Obviously, Jay can’t stay healthy either so that’s a tough sell as well.

he acquired Jay in an attempt to sign Machado. Acquiring Jay had nothing to do with Avi or Jay's potential performance 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

he acquired Jay in an attempt to sign Machado. Acquiring Jay had nothing to do with Avi or Jay's potential performance 

Well, all decisions failed miserably regardless.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Well, all decisions failed miserably regardless.

this decision isn't too bad so far. insurance is paying his salary not the Sox.

Edited by ptatc

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

With all due respect this is unfair and in greg's opinion, a very poor take. We're to the point we hate Avi so much we just decide, 'Ah he was no good he wouldn't be doing that in Chicago.' That was a BOMB. I worship Avi and congratulate him for that blast. The guy was run out of town by a front office that didn't respect him and fans who don't respect their own (not everybody, but many). I mean Avi Garcia when healthy is a very very very good hitter. Yes he gets hurt which seemingly a lotta players do. Love you Avi Garcia. You don't make a ton of money but enough you and your family are all set for life 10 times over. 

How is that a unfair or a poor take?  Because he's hitting how he is in TB now does not mean he'd doing the exact same thing here had he stayed.  Avi ALWAYS got hurt here.  How is it unfair to put into question the players injury history when it's as poor as it was here?  To me, it seems fair to bring up but I'd love an actual explanation as to why it's a poor and bad take and not just fanboi ramblings about a player who's no longer here. 

Avi Garcia is not good, was not a part of the future, and I am glad the Sox are not wasting more at bats on him.  Yes I would rather watch some combination of Cordell, Tilson, Leury and Delmonico over Avi.  

• Haha 1

AVI had a very solid 2017 but the was hurt again last year. Maybe the Tampa weather or the artificial turf have rejuvenated his career. I figured they would DH him especially w the carpet  but he is playing mostly RF. He is only  28 so good for him. 

Good for Avi, but does anyone really trust him to stay healthy and play well for 2 or 3 years straight which would have needed to happen if they were to sign him long term. Maybe they missed out on a decent trade chip, but it's not like Avi is going to bring back a can't miss. Probably more like the crap they always get.

• Like 1

Nothing Garcia does this year changes the logic with him.

1. If Garcia makes it through this year healthy it will be the first time in his career (and another indictment of our training staff).
2. If the White Sox had offered Garcia arbitration, he would have made something like $8-9 million this year. No team was wiling to give him more than $3.5 million as a free agent. No team believed in him that much. He was basically McCann level.
3. If the White Sox had offered him $4 million as a free agent they could have retained him, but signing outfielders to 1 year deals as a free agent is just dumb for this franchise. If Avi was doing great for us right now, what difference does it make, are we competitive for the Wild Card, does he make us a rival for the AL Central? Are corner outfielders hugely valued on the trade market in July?
4. If everything worked out great for that signing, Avi still walks away as a free agent next offseason because no one is offering him a $18 million qualifying offer.

You can tell me that signing Avi for $4 million would have been better than signing another outfielder for $4 million and forgetting to give him a physical and that's true, but signing any outfielder for $4 million was a dumb move for a rebuilding franchise that spent the offseason crying about how they're too poor to extend their core roster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fathom said:

He was clearly hurt all last year. In a non-contending season, there was no reason not to see if he could showcase some of the improved skills from 2017.  God knows they wasted enough money this past offseason when they could have kept him around. Also, I think it’s so telling he’s finally a good defensive player now that he’s joined another organization.

Just always seemed odd to me. That the Sox go dumpster diving  for a boatload of guys Avi's age trying to find a diamond in the rough and the one they had who already had shown how good he can be is let go. Just because he was non tendered doesn't mean the Sox couldn't  have beat the Rays offer which is loaded with incentives.

I know most here wanted him gone but if you wanted what was best for the rebuild then everyone should've wanted him to stay.

It's not like that was the 1st time Avi ever hit on 471 feet. Here's one that went 481.

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-avisail-s-481-ft-hr-c1905556883

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just always seemed odd to me. That the Sox go dumpster diving  for a boatload of guys Avi's age trying to find a diamond in the rough and the one they had who already had shown how good he can be is let go. Just because he was non tendered doesn't mean the Sox couldn't  have beat the Rays offer which is loaded with incentives.

I know most here wanted him gone but if you wanted what was best for the rebuild then everyone should've wanted him to stay.

It's not like that was the 1st time Avi ever hit on 471 feet. Here's one that went 481.

while this is true, ideally they would left handed power for RF once they get good. the OF will be Jimenez and Lubob. currently the only LH power is Moncada. Maybe Collins. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was all aboard keeping Avi around for 2019, especially when it came out how he tried to play all last year on a bad knee.

Come on dude, he has been injured for most of his career, and that is not even a stretch.   Acting like the Sox made a mistake letting him go because he managed to stay healthy for a month and a half is hilarious.   Plus, he is a power hitter that doesn't hit home runs or doubles, he isn't a good defender, what are we missing here? A 480 foot home run?  Oh no I'm sad now

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Come on dude, he has been injured for most of his career, and that is not even a stretch.   Acting like the Sox made a mistake letting him go because he managed to stay healthy for a month and a half is hilarious.   Plus, he is a power hitter that doesn't hit home runs or doubles, he isn't a good defender, what are we missing here? A 480 foot home run?  Oh no I'm sad now

I just thought there was nothing to lose bringing him back. They ended up losing him with nothing coming back in return, so using 8-9 million to see if he could put it together was worth it in a rebuild season.  It’s also interesting to note that besides his defense being way better now, he’s hitting it on the ground as a much lower rate. 

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just thought there was nothing to lose bringing him back. They ended up losing him with nothing coming back in return, so using 8-9 million to see if he could put it together was worth it in a rebuild season.  It’s also interesting to note that besides his defense being way better now, he’s hitting it on the ground as a much lower rate. 

They had been seeing what he has in a rebuild season for five years.   And again, it's been 1 1/2 months.  We have seen him start hot and then crash hard multiple times 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fathom said:

Another brilliant decision by the front office

This is a perfect example of whining for the sake of whining. 

Were talking about not giving Avi mf'ing Garcia 10 million dollars. It was the right move then, it's the right move now, and it will continue to be the right move forever. 

It's no different that the Tigers moving on from McCann, which was also the right move.

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And who would that be?

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Were talking about not giving Avi mf'ing Garcia 10 million dollars. It was the right move then, it's the right move now, and it will continue to be the right move forever. 

It's no different that the Tigers moving on from McCann, which was also the right move.

You are 100% right.  Avi was not coming back no matter what.  He's had one good month.  It was going to take a lot more money for the Sox than what he signed for with the Rays.  He signed that for a reason, not many teams wanted him.  There was hardly any interest when he had that career year 2 years ago.

Enough of the f***ing whining people.  Avi was never part of the future.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Actually right move would have been using the 9 million on Avi instead of Alonso if you knew you were half-assing the Manny sweepstakes and then put Palka at DH.  So many on here were happy that Avi was let go because they thought it meant a better free agent would be taking his place.  Instead we have to see a bunch of garbage get at bats all season in RF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Actually right move would have been using the 9 million on Avi instead of Alonso if you knew you were half-assing the Manny sweepstakes and then put Palka at DH.  So many on here were happy that Avi was let go because they thought it meant a better free agent would be taking his place.  Instead we have to see a bunch of garbage get at bats all season in RF.

This was when I thought they'd be getting Brantley and I questioned whether that was a wise use of resources - pre Jon Jay/Yonder lol

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

You are 100% right.  Avi was not coming back no matter what.  He's had one good month.  It was going to take a lot more money for the Sox than what he signed for with the Rays.  He signed that for a reason, not many teams wanted him.  There was hardly any interest when he had that career year 2 years ago.

Enough of the f***ing whining people.  Avi was never part of the future.

But Delmonico, Tilson, Engel and Cordell are?  I totally get why people were sick of Avi, but if you want to discount his luck in 2017, then 2018 should also be thrown out due to the injury. 

• Thanks 1