Blue Jays of Toronto vs Ricky Renteria's Southside Buntmen | May 17th | 7:10pm CT |

Tnetennba

26 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Please someone find 2 starting pitchers.  Thank you...and please hurry!

Seriously why? I mean it is not like this team is going anywhere this year. Maybe if everyone stayed healthy but with this organization that's not the case anymore. Why give Hahn more chances to royally screw things up and waste even more money giving JR more ammunition to say "no" in the future.

I mean they are already eight games behind the Twins and by the time next week is over that could be in double-digits.

Edited by Lip Man 1

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No one thinks Palka is the answer to any question.  But Alonso is a waste of $9 million and if they cut him now to bring up Palka, they will at least avoid activating Alonso's $9 million dollar option for 2020.  Palka should only ever see the DH spot.

As I said earlier to someone who said basically the same thing, JR does not like to pay people not to work even if they suck at what they are doing. I would be shocked if he's let go before say July.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Seriously why? I mean it is not like this team is going anywhere this year. Maybe if everyone stayed healthy but with this organization that's not the case anymore. Why give Hahn more chances to royally screw things up and waste even more money giving JR more ammunition to say "no" in the future.

I mean they are already eight games behind the Twins and by the time next week is over that could be in double-digits.

Because we would win more games and maybe compete.  The season is only 1/4 over and lots can happen.  Robert, Madrigal & Cease can be brought up... and Kouchel and/or Kimbrel might appear.... a key injury or injuries  on teams in front happens frequently...stuff happens.  Also, I don't just look forward to the baseball season all offseason to give up after only 1/4 of it has been played.  I'll remind you that in 2006 we had the kind of lead Minnesota has now...we didn't win.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Because we would win more games and maybe compete.  The season is only 1/4 over and lots can happen.  Robert, Madrigal & Cease can be brought up... and Kouchel and/or Kimbrel might appear.... a key injury or injuries  on teams in front happens frequently...stuff happens.  Also, I don't just look forward to the baseball season all offseason to give up after only 1/4 of it has been played.  I'll remind you that in 2006 we had the kind of lead Minnesota has now...we didn't win.

Again, why risk rushing players to play for a lousy team when they can get more instruction( hopefully)j in the minors.  If any of Robert, Cease or Madrigal is having sustained success at AAA, then that is when you bring them up.  Maybe Cease by end of July may make sense  if he is doing well in order to give him a chance to pitch some meaningful games before rosters expand. I just hope Madrigal makes it to AA this season and Robert to AAA.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Because we would win more games and maybe compete.  The season is only 1/4 over and lots can happen.  Robert, Madrigal & Cease can be brought up... and Kouchel and/or Kimbrel might appear.... a key injury or injuries  on teams in front happens frequently...stuff happens.  Also, I don't just look forward to the baseball most season all offseason to give up after only 1/4 of it has been played.  I'll remind you that in 2006 we had the kind of lead Minnesota has now...we didn't win.

I get the impression that JR and Hahn don't really care about winning. This tanking/losing on purpose is fine with them. Most of there starting pitchers can't get anybody out, but yet they won't bring up Cease. Score announcer (and White sox fan) Mike Mulligan said the other day the White Sox could have easily signed Gio Gonzalez for a mere $2 million dollars and they didn't even try to sign him. If Hahn  had acquired a couple of good starting pitchers this team would have contended in this weak division. Always keep in mind that this franchise is making nothing but money with losing/low payroll teams.

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Again, why risk rushing players to play for a lousy team when they can get more instruction( hopefully)j in the minors.  If any of Robert, Cease or Madrigal is having sustained success at AAA, then that is when you bring them up.  Maybe Cease by end of July may make sense  if he is doing well in order to give him a chance to pitch some meaningful games before rosters expand. I just hope Madrigal makes it to AA this season and Robert to AAA.

Robin Yount was in the majors at 18 and only hit .250 his first year.  I'm sure he was learning and growing at the same time.  Robert was signed to a huge contract because he was unusual and Madrigal was called almost major league ready when he was drafted.  I'm excited to see them sooner rather than later.  The team will soon become irrelevant if we don't start seeing some of these new guys as this is still an entertainment business.  Be entertaining.

49 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I get the impression that JR and Hahn don't really care about winning. This tanking/losing on purpose is fine with them. Most of there starting pitchers can't get anybody out, but yet they won't bring up Cease. Score announcer (and White sox fan) Mike Mulligan said the other day the White Sox could have easily signed Gio Gonzalez for a mere $2 million dollars and they didn't even try to sign him. If Hahn  had acquired a couple of good starting pitchers this team would have contended in this weak division. Always keep in mind that this franchise is making nothing but money with losing/low payroll teams.

Tanking is great for a GM's job security. Also, the great thing about rebuilding is that you can always just push the contention window out a couple years if things aren't going as planned. 

This offseason will be telling in regards to the FO's thoughts on competing. Will JR open the wallet for some impact free agents or will the Sox just roll with a top 5 bottom payroll and continue the tank? 

35 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Tanking is great for a GM's job security. Also, the great thing about rebuilding is that you can always just push the contention window out a couple years if things aren't going as planned. 

This offseason will be telling in regards to the FO's thoughts on competing. Will JR open the wallet for some impact free agents or will the Sox just roll with a top 5 bottom payroll and continue the tank? 

Does anybody think JR is going to spend big money on some impact free agents?  I hope he does but I'll believe it when it happens.

JR is 83 years old and does not have interest in 10 years from now.  I imagine estate planning and tax avoidance is his primary focus.  If preparing the team for sale by his heirs... I suspect he will be in go for it mode.  It also might be fun for him to go out a winner.  His reported net worth is in excess of 1.5 billion so he can afford to do somethings just for grins.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Robin Yount was in the majors at 18 and only hit .250 his first year.  I'm sure he was learning and growing at the same time.  Robert was signed to a huge contract because he was unusual and Madrigal was called almost major league ready when he was drafted.  I'm excited to see them sooner rather than later.  The team will soon become irrelevant if we don't start seeing some of these new guys as this is still an entertainment business.  Be entertaining.

I realize you want Christmas in July but you may have to wait. Madrigal is hitting .260+ in Class A. Not sure that is Major League Ready. That is why I think he needs to do well in A the next couple of months and then hopefully get a solid month in AA so maybe next year he starts  in AAA.  Some players go up straight from AA but most need time in AAA. Maybe Robert is the exception but lets see how he is doing in July.  

We already have a portion of our fan-base trashing  Eloy's defense.  Maybe more time in the minors would never have helped him learn the outfield.  But it is gonna be pretty tough for him to learn the OF or even first base  in the majors. Hopefully the FO makes smart decisions on the appropriate time to bring the next wave up.   

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Minnesota and Detroit both talented teams went out of their minds in the second half and had a win percentage well over 60% as I recall. That happens as often as the Bears win the Super Bowl. The Sox have nowhere near the talent those teams had to make that kind of run.

I don't like "giving up" on the season either but I'm getting used to it since the Sox haven't played any meaningful games since September 2012. It's actually not that bad living and dying with every game, every night for six months. (I don't know what that says about me or about the state of the Sox franchise)

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

You know Madrigal is hitting .250 in A ball.    No home runs.  Not many walks.  I’m not sure it would improve if you moved him up sooner rather than later.