The Rock Island Schedule is Fixed!

TBrown54

Attention Southlanders:  You can now catch the Rock Island back to South Side and South/SW suburbs at 10:37 on weeknights; for longer games or extra innings, next/last train is at 11:52.     

Past years, trains were at 9:52 and 11:22.  Choices were to watch 6 innings or watch a 3 hour/3-and-half hour game followed by a long, senseless wait on 35th Street platform.  Number of weeknight games I attended before 2019:  zero.

However, the insane Reinsdorfian cash grab fantasy of 20,000 parked cars at $20 per vehicle has been defeated and common sense has won out.  This must have been a very difficult thing for JR to give up (it was like waiting for Bill Wirtz to start televising Hawks home games or JR to fire Kenny).

This past Monday and Thursday, the inbound train --- three cars -- was loaded with Sox fans, most in their teens and 20s, who boarded all along the line.  It was a wonderful thing to behold.  The train pulls into 35th St. about 30 minutes before first pitch (perfect).

I only missed the last three outs Thursday to catch the 10:37.  Good game, great time.  Looking forward to next home stand. 

GOSOX!

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, TBrown54 said:

Attention Southlanders:  You can now catch the Rock Island back to South Side and South/SW suburbs at 10:37 on weeknights; for longer games or extra innings, next/last train is at 11:52.     

Past years, trains were at 9:52 and 11:22.  Choices were to watch 6 innings or watch a 3 hour/3-and-half hour game followed by a long, senseless wait on 35th Street platform.  Number of weeknight games I attended before 2019:  zero.

However, the insane Reinsdorfian cash grab fantasy of 20,000 parked cars at $20 per vehicle has been defeated and common sense has won out.  This must have been a very difficult thing for JR to give up (it was like waiting for Bill Wirtz to start televising Hawks home games or JR to fire Kenny).

This past Monday and Thursday, the inbound train --- three cars -- was loaded with Sox fans, most in their teens and 20s, who boarded all along the line.  It was a wonderful thing to behold.  The train pulls into 35th St. about 30 minutes before first pitch (perfect).

I only missed the last three outs Thursday to catch the 10:37.  Good game, great time.  Looking forward to next home stand. 

GOSOX!

So you're saying you think Reinsdorf had something to do with the train's scheduling  Just to have people drive and park in the parking lots ? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more fans buying more tickets and then also buying concessions ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

The Metra Southwest Service should make a station by the park as well. The train practically goes right next to the Rate. I think it would bring even more people to the games.

I dont know why this hasnt happened. Theres probably as many sox fans on that route than compared to the Rock.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you're saying you think Reinsdorf had something to do with the train's scheduling  Just to have people drive and park in the parking lots ? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more fans buying more tickets and then also buying concessions ?

Of all the "Reinsdorf $$$" conspiracy theories.....this may be the biggest stretch I've ever seen for this exact reason.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes to both.  I should point out that there was Metra special Sox train running outbound 30 minutes after each game during first 35th Street station season, around 2011.  Bad idea due to lousy product.  It ended when visions of packed trains with fans clad in Adam Dunn jerseys failed to materialize.  (I like this current weeknight schedule better than a 30 minute wait after a game, anyway).  

So fans were stuck with bad schedule; the 9:45 and 11:15 trains from Loop that were in place long before 35th Street station.  Apparently, Metra/RI no longer had interest in White Sox and White Sox certainly demonstrated no interest in Metra or it would not have taken 8 years to fix it.  I think JR and White Sox were stuck in 1993, when 2.7 million to new stadium meant full parking lots every game. 

To your other question, White Sox are facing an 8th straight season of less than 2 million fans.  With inept baseball operations in front office unable to develop stars and win, the organization must explore other avenues to attract fans during down years (down decade, in this case).  This category of fans -- teens and early 20s adults in Southland, many who don't yet have cars, and even some who do -- can now get to games with their friends for only about $20:  $10-12 for round trip train fare and $8 ticket at gate.  These pre and post game, mostly alcohol free trains with these kids can generate energy and oxygen to a wheezing franchise.  For this demographic, convenient public transportation is superior way to make new fans, and this will sell more tickets and concessions.

Thanks for your comment and giving me opportunity to expand.

Edited by TBrown54
Clarity

5 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

The Metra Southwest Service should make a station by the park as well. The train practically goes right next to the Rate. I think it would bring even more people to the games.

The project described below -- one of several interrelated infrastructure improvement projects to South Side railways -- would solve the problem.  For more information, just Google "Belt flyover" and access The 75th Street Corridor Improvement Project web site.  The project is part of Chicago Region Environmental and Transportation Efficiency (CREATE) Program.  Pretty impressive.

"Design of Metra Rock Island connection (P2)
Project P2 will build a flyover structure to connect the Metra SouthWest Service (SWS) mainline tracks to the Rock Island Line. The design (Phase II) work will begin in 2019 and is expected to continue until 2022. CREATE Program partners are seeking construction (Phase III) funding for this project. The rail improvements will allow additional Metra trains to access LaSalle Street Station and passenger rail capacity gains at Union Station."

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The JR hate is pretty lame. They should go somewhere else.