Palka time

zisk

1.098 OPS at charlotte. Bring him back. 35 AB's is too small a sample to bury a guy. He should DH against RHP's. Abreu at 1B.

With Tilson and Garcia around there isn't really a need for Delmonico. 3 weeks to the draft. Bring up Cease as well. If things get

rolling, then take a chance on Kuechel after it doesn't cost us a pick. Twins went from worst to first. Maybe we can too.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zisk said:

1.098 OPS at charlotte. Bring him back. 35 AB's is too small a sample to bury a guy. He should DH against RHP's. Abreu at 1B.

With Tilson and Garcia around there isn't really a need for Delmonico. 3 weeks to the draft. Bring up Cease as well. If things get

rolling, then take a chance on Kuechel after it doesn't cost us a pick. Twins went from worst to first. Maybe we can too.

Eloy should take Nicky's spot.  

1 hour ago, zisk said:

rolling, then take a chance on Kuechel after it doesn't cost us a pick. Twins went from worst to first. 

Charlotte is the most-favorable hitting environment in that league, & perhaps in all of MiLB.  If Alonzo weren't here, sure.

Kuechel isn't coming here; other teams that are in contention will be interested in him, so why would he sign here?

Adding veterans to a middling squad is the thought process that got us into being "mired in mediocrity" in the first place. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of 2013-2016, in all honesty. 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Unless you can sign Keuchel to a 1 year deal to fill out hole, I say hard pass. We are gonna have a log jam with the rotation next year and I dont want a veteran blocking anyone.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Unless you can sign Keuchel to a 1 year deal to fill out hole, I say hard pass. We are gonna have a log jam with the rotation next year and I dont want a veteran blocking anyone.

So you wouldn’t even sign Cole next year if we could?

11 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I agree that they are better passing on Keuchel.  But I don't think there will be a quality logjam with the rotation.  Better than this year but still 1-2 weak spots until 2021.  

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

A log jam? Really ? 2 guys coming off TJ ( Kopech Dunning), Giolito, Lopez, Cease a guy who will be a rookie  . Nova will be gone, Do you want Banuelos or Covey to be the fifth starter ? Rodon can't really be counted on for next year at all. That's way too many young,untested and guys coming off injuries . Don't expect the Sox to compete with that do you ?

Need a lefty. Keuchel is a lefty. Perhaps 2 years (this year and next year) $25M is enough to get him after the draft, That's nothing compared to someone like Bumgarner.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

4A hitter. 

I'm not so sure about that. .800 OPS last year in first year in majors. He also improved as the year went on. As a properly used lefty bat, he could be

quite useful for a few years. He'd need a manager smart enough to use him in the right amount.

C'mon, Scooter.  If he can pitch, go after him.  With a 13 man staff, there will always be room for a good starter.

Not that he would sign with Sox, but you never know.

I agree on the first part, but we’re definitely adding a veteran starter in the offseason and I’d prefer someone with more youth / upside than Kuechel.  Give me Cole (very unlikely) or Wheeler (more likely) and I think on paper we got a rotation that could be very good in the near future. Wheeler, Giolito, Cease, Kopech, & Lopez with Lambert in AAA and eventually Dunning in the mix might be good enough next year if we can fill a couple holes on offense.  Probably need one more depth option while Dunning is on the mend (assuming that Banuelos continues to struggle), but I think that shouldn’t be too hard to pull off.

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A log jam? Really ? 2 guys coming off TJ ( Kopech Dunning), Giolito, Lopez, Cease a guy who will be a rookie  . Nova will be gone, Do you want Banuelos or Covey to be the fifth starter ? Rodon can't really be counted on for next year at all. That's way too many young,untested and guys coming off injuries . Don't expect the Sox to compete with that do you ?

Need a lefty. Keuchel is a lefty. Perhaps 2 years (this year and next year) $25M is enough to get him after the draft, That's nothing compared to someone like Bumgarner.

I guess logjam was probably the incorrect term with all of the injury risks. I was thinking of terms in what Keuchel will probably command, 4-5 years would be my guess. 

Also, in terms of the Palka question, he is not an OF option as this point, full stop.  And if we’re opening a spot at 1B or DH by DFAing Alonso, give the job to Collins who has a much better shot of being a long term fixture.  Palka had his opportunity this year and completely fell on his face.  He’ll need a lot of injuries or trades to re-enter the mix IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

I guess logjam was probably the incorrect term with all of the injury risks. I was thinking of terms in what Keuchel will probably command, 4-5 years would be my guess. 

If he's really valuable enough  to get a 4/5 year contract surely giving up a draft pick for him seems reasonable but no one did it. 3 max and even then he might be useless for the rest of this year considering the very late start. I''m thinking  2 years and whoever ends up offering the most for those 2 years or anyone willing to go to 3 years gets him. Contract somewhere in the  $25-$40M range.

28 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea I think the FO’ plan is to bring Collins up to replace Alonso at some point.  

Seems strange to me that people suggest the Sox are going to part with Alonso, The Sox have played 44 games Alonso has played in 42 of them. Only Moncada and Abreu have played more games. He is also 3rd on the team in plate appearances, He is also making $9M a year a fact that others have pointed out.

I have no idea why the Sox play him so much . He's at 0 WAR. Even Engel had a .2 WAR. They seem to be trying very hard to justify trading for him. There's really no point in playing him so much. Chances of getting anything at the trade deadline seem remote and it would be idiotic to give him enough PAs for the Sox to be stuck with him next year.

I can only hope those who want him gone are right but right now there is no indication that this will happen.

So far he's just a younger version of Adam LaRoche.

The crazy thing is Yonder has been even worse against RH pitching and pretty good against lefties but he's getting the bulk of his AB's against righties. BA .153  OBP ,254 . SLG.252 .  OPS .506

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Seems strange to me that people suggest the Sox are going to part with Alonso, The Sox have played 44 games Alonso has played in 42 of them. Only Moncada and Abreu have played more games. He is also 3rd on the team in plate appearances, He is also making $9M a year a fact that others have pointed out.

I have no idea why the Sox play him so much . He's at 0 WAR. Even Engel had a .2 WAR. They seem to be trying very hard to justify trading for him. There's really no point in playing him so much. Chances of getting anything at the trade deadline seem remote and it would be idiotic to give him enough PAs for the Sox to be stuck with him next year.

I can only hope those who want him gone are right but right now there is no indication that this will happen.

So far he's just a younger version of Adam LaRoche.

The crazy thing is Yonder has been even worse against RH pitching and pretty good against lefties but he's getting the bulk of his AB's against righties. BA .153  OBP ,254 . SLG.252 .  OPS .506

The Sox will most certainly DFA Alonso before his option year would become guaranteed.  I personally think they’re just waiting for Collins to be ready to take on a lot of DH at-bats (even if they don’t give up him completely at catcher).

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, in terms of the Palka question, he is not an OF option as this point, full stop.  And if we’re opening a spot at 1B or DH by DFAing Alonso, give the job to Collins who has a much better shot of being a long term fixture.  Palka had his opportunity this year and completely fell on his face.  He’ll need a lot of injuries or trades to re-enter the mix IMO.

This.

Before dismissing the idea of bringing back Palka, perhaps one should look at his numbers,at Charlotte. They are quite impressive, in any ball park. Moreover, he did have an impressive rookie year. To discount all of that, simply because he struggled early on, this year, seems irrational. Remember, he suffered that hamstring injury, which kept him from getting his work in, during Spring Training.

At any rate, I would expect him to get called back up soon, and certainly before Collins. The real obstacle is Alonso.

Edited by Lillian