Palka time

zisk

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Would depend how you look at it. His fWAR is actually worse than Alonso’s, and since it’s negative the fewer ABs actually helps him. If you take it by career Alonso is better. But if you just want to fit Palka career vs Alonso 40 games, then your narrative works.

Palka sucks. Come to grips with it. Right now, Tilson and Cordell deserve to be in Chicago more than Palka. I am sure Delmonico will go when Eloy is back. Hopefully tomorrow.

It was a joke. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Better at what ? Hard to be a worse hitter than Alonso has been . Better HR hitter than Delmonico Tilson and Cordell .Better as a baseball player not so much but he is getting a ton of walks at AAA .

Well, this year he was a worse hitter than Alonso and was a worse HR hitter than Cordell and Delmonico.

21 hours ago, Quin said:

Well, this year he was a worse hitter than Alonso and was a worse HR hitter than Cordell and Delmonico.

35 AB's after he was hurt in Spring training hardly seems fair to say what you just said , We all know by last year that he can hit HR's and Alonso has been putrid against righties  , His SLG. is right around .250 . 250 ! 

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

35 AB's after he was hurt in Spring training hardly seems fair to say what you just said , We all know by last year that he can hit HR's and Alonso has been putrid against righties  , His SLG. is right around .250 . 250 ! 

DFA Castillo and Alonso and call up Collins and Palka. What do they have to lose by doing that? It's almost too perfectly setup to justify carrying those assclowns

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Charlotte is the most-favorable hitting environment in that league, & perhaps in all of MiLB.  If Alonzo weren't here, sure.

Kuechel isn't coming here; other teams that are in contention will be interested in him, so why would he sign here?

Adding veterans to a middling squad is the thought process that got us into being "mired in mediocrity" in the first place. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of 2013-2016, in all honesty. 

Palka is my hero. He is the key to our success. Lumberjacks everywhere rejoice. I do enjoy the guy.

58 minutes ago, mqr said:

DFA Castillo and Alonso and call up Collins and Palka. What do they have to lose by doing that? It's almost too perfectly setup to justify carrying those assclowns

I’m all for this.  The money Castillo and Alonso are due is already a sunk cost and the Sox aren’t getting anything but garbage for them if any team actually wants either guy at the deadline.

Castillo hasn't been good, and he is a sunk cost, but he's less of a DFA candidate for me than Alonso.  Castillo's days in this league are not number.  Alonso's very well may be. 

I was never excited about the Alonso signing, but I was also never super negative about (prior to the season).  I thought he'd be OK and wasn't our biggest problem.  But he's just awful and the shift has completely killed him, and I don't see any way he can be a productive major leaguer again.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castillo hasn't been good, and he is a sunk cost, but he's less of a DFA candidate for me than Alonso.  Castillo's days in this league are not number.  Alonso's very well may be. 

I was never excited about the Alonso signing, but I was also never super negative about (prior to the season).  I thought he'd be OK and wasn't our biggest problem.  But he's just awful and the shift has completely killed him, and I don't see any way he can be a productive major leaguer again.  

Castillo is a slightly overpaid strict platoon catcher.  He should be facing every LHP.  But Rickie isn't that smart.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They should DFA Alonzo and give the spot to Palka because it's a rebuild year and who cares.  But they probably won't eat Yonder's contract, not yet anyways.  It cannot be said enough how stupid the "friends and family" plan was.  I'll say it again: it was really dumb.

This. I mean Alonso has been unlucky with his batted ball profile but even so, he provides no value whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m all for this.  The money Castillo and Alonso are due is already a sunk cost and the Sox aren’t getting anything but garbage for them if any team actually wants either guy at the deadline.

Again the White Sox "philosophy" stemming from JR is they will not pay someone to not work...even if they are terrible at it. They just don't seem to grasp that fundamental issue that you brought up about "sunk costs." The reason they dropped Santana was because they weren't on the hook for the 4.3 million based on the deal he signed.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Alcedes Escobar who hits like he is using a rolled up newspaper has an .876 OPS in Charlotte. Don't believe what you see there.

It's all about if he looks completely lost and unbalanced at the plate. Dude had some horrific swings at the beginning of the year and he always looked like he was falling.

Edited by soxfan2014