Palka time

zisk

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Alcedes Escobar who hits like he is using a rolled up newspaper has an .876 OPS in Charlotte. Don't believe what you see there.

So are we only supposed to believe a .400 BA, .700 Slg. and 1.300 OPS ? Last time I checked there are still 9 fielders out there and a pitcher trying to get you out .

24 minutes ago, raBBit said:

This. I mean Alonso has been unlucky with his batted ball profile but even so, he provides no value whatsoever.

Is it really unlucky though when he hits 90% of his hard hit balls directly into the shift?  He's one of the easiest guys to defend because he hits the ball in the same spot nearly every time.  This isn't going to change.  

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So are we only supposed to believe a .400 BA, .700 Slg. and 1.300 OPS ? Last time I checked there are still 9 fielders out there and a pitcher trying to get you out .

You don't want to believe .223/.285/.449 Palka's lifetime stats because he hit some homers in meaningless games.  But believe his AAA numbers where everyone comes up big. 

If he were 3 or 4 years younger, I would probably agree, make room for him. But now? Who cares, Skole is putting up huge numbers. Where are the calls for him?

If Alonso was playing for Charlotte and trying to get back instead of just playing out the string, his numbers would probably be enormous. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You don't want to believe .223/.285/.449 Palka's lifetime stats because he hit some homers in meaningless games.  But believe his AAA numbers where everyone comes up big. 

If he were 3 or 4 years younger, I would probably agree, make room for him. But now? Who cares, Skole is putting up huge numbers. Where are the calls for him?

I'd take him over Alonso too. Especially if there was a chance he would play 1B more over Abreu.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Palka was 110 OPS+ hitter in 450 MLB plate apperances last season.  I, for one, don't think his days in the show are over based on a horrific 35 plate appearance sample.  

Do I think he's part of the future?  Not really.  But he definitely has a good enough stick to play in bigs, and if the Sox were to DFA him, he'd likely be back in the show very quickly. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

You don't want to believe .223/.285/.449 Palka's lifetime stats. But believe his AAA numbers where everyone comes up big. 

Yes, it's this.

I'm glad Palka found his footing. But he was a promising albeit flawed player last year. Because of his clear lack of defensive value, he had an opportunity to showcase himself this year with improvement in getting on base and contact, that's without even asking him to be a more complete profile for LHP.

Instead he went 0fer while being platooned!

That he has recovered in AAA doesn't mean we erase that period and say "well he's changed and moved on", that he had a 0 for 30+ streak is a very big adjustment to what you think he's capable of, which is "maybe/probably better than nicky delmonico's bat" at this point.

Alcides Escobar has been terrible for many a year in MLB (offensively), which is helpful data. Maybe he'd be a little better but who cares.

Danny Mendick on other hand, he's had a nice showing of maintaining his power as he's moved up, and his success may indicate a player that could improve on Jose Rondon's production - a player who has failed to capitalize on more playing time in MLB despite great AAA renaissance last year.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'd take him over Alonso too. Especially if there was a chance he would play 1B more over Abreu.

I don't want any of them. But you have to figure, looking at track records, which everyone who wants Palka back is trying to look at, Alonso should improve. His acquistion without Machado was embarrassing. But at this point, what do you do? He should have sat a lot of games by now. Playing him every day is insane. Now if he gets back to his typical year, he will either have to be sat not to trigger his option or be traded, and who is going to want to be stuck with his option? 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just saying he deserves another chance . He's doing very well in Charlotte . Tilson was also doing very well there and he's been good here too. I mean you aren't going to call him up again if he's been sucking down there.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't want any of them. But you have to figure, looking at track records, which everyone who wants Palka back is trying to look at, Alonso should improve. His acquistion without Machado was embarrassing. But at this point, what do you do? He should have sat a lot of games by now. Playing him every day is insane. Now if he gets back to his typical year, he will either have to be sat not to trigger his option or be traded, and who is going to want to be stuck with his option? 

Cut him...literally just cut him. It's the only way.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hey now you get it. We don't want Alonso this year or next so anyone but him.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's going to get DFA'd at some point. I've never been so sure of something in my life. Probably sometime in late June when it is impossible for him to appreciate any trade value. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They should DFA Alonzo and give the spot to Palka because it's a rebuild year and who cares.  But they probably won't eat Yonder's contract, not yet anyways.  It cannot be said enough how stupid the "friends and family" plan was.  I'll say it again: it was really dumb.

MLB roster spots are supposed to be extremely valuable. The Sox FO doesn't seem to understand this and that is downright scary. 

Also, the general consensus of this board was in favor of the "friends and family" just a few short months ago. 

Edited by OneDog847

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

MLB roster spots are supposed to be extremely valuable. The Sox FO doesn't seem to understand this and that is downright scary. 

Also, the general consensus of this board was generally in favor of the "friends and family" just a few short months ago. 

Not when you don't care about winning baseball games?

Also, the general consensus of this board was generally in favor of the "friends and family" just a few short months ago. 

I think at best you could say many were saying "well if it works out fine" but not many where saying it was a good process.  My own thoughts were "if it works, great, maybe they had inside info we don't" and if it doesn't work it's the single dumbest thing this FO has done (and they got some dumb ones to choose from) and everybody associated with it should resign in shame or be fired.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mqr said:

Not when you don't care about winning baseball games?

The Sox don't care about winning baseball games this year but can instead use roster spots as an audition for fringe type guys. 

Dudes like Alonso, Castillo, and Jay should not be on the roster at all. Give the playing time to younger guys with some potential upside. 

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox don't care about winning baseball games this year but can instead use roster spots as an audition for fringe type guys. 

Dudes like Alonso, Castillo, and Jay should not be on the roster at all. Give the playing time to younger guys with some potential upside. 

You're acting like they're a million guys that deserve a shot. They've already cycled through 2 guys and got 2 others to stick some. Who's left? A 29 yo Matt Skole? 

Alonso sucks, sure, but Jon Jay may never see the roster, and Wellington Castillo absolutely needs to be around until someone else proves they can catch at the major league level. 

File all of this under Who Cares, Let Me Know When They're Gone.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think at best you could say many were saying "well if it works out fine" but not many where saying it was a good process.  My own thoughts were "if it works, great, maybe they had inside info we don't" and if it doesn't work it's the single dumbest thing this FO has done (and they got some dumb ones to choose from) and everybody associated with it should resign in shame or be fired.

Possibly. I remember someone created a thread with a title along the lines of being embarrassed at the lengths the Sox FO was going to in pursuit of Manny. The post was not well received and full of "who cares" if I remember correctly. 

"The friends and family plan" was such a half baked scheme from the moment it was conceived. I don't need an MBA from Northwestern and a law degree from Harvard to know that an elite professional athlete is gonna take the $. 

Possibly. I remember someone created a thread with a title along the lines of being embarrassed at the lengths the Sox FO was going to in pursuit of Manny. The post was not well received and full of "who cares" if I remember correctly. 

It was received that way because it was (wrongly) assumed that we would also be the high bidder

3 hours ago, mqr said:

DFA Castillo and Alonso and call up Collins and Palka. What do they have to lose by doing that? It's almost too perfectly setup to justify carrying those assclowns

Unfortunately money is part of the equation.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

You're acting like they're a million guys that deserve a shot. They've already cycled through 2 guys and got 2 others to stick some. Who's left? A 29 yo Matt Skole? 

Alonso sucks, sure, but Jon Jay may never see the roster, and Wellington Castillo absolutely needs to be around until someone else proves they can catch at the major league level. 

File all of this under Who Cares, Let Me Know When They're Gone.

They should have more guys battling for roster spots especially on the pitching side. It is kind of scary that they don't. 

They should most definitely give Matt Skole and Palka a shot over Alonso. They should also bring up one of Collins/Zavala to replace Castillo after Memorial Day weekend. Collins is 24 and Zavala is 25. Time to see what they can offer in the Show. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It can't hurt, in that case. Take every advantage you can get for a generational talent. 

The Sox were never prepared to be the highest bidder. They thought having Jay and Alonso was worth more to Manny Machado and his agent than millions and millions of dollars. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox were never prepared to be the highest bidder. They thought having Jay and Alonso was worth more to Manny Machado and his agent than millions and millions of dollars. 

Right. I'm just speaking to the hypothetical where they both got Alonso and Jay and were the high bidder