Palka time

zisk

In a vacuum, Palka right now is a better DH option than Alonso.  But Alonso has nine million reasons why he is still on the roster.

With Eloy close to returning, and Collins being close to ready, I don't think the FO is going to add to the roster crunch by recalling Palka with Delmonico up and while still evaluating Tilson and Cordell.  And as much as I want to see Alonso launched over 31st street beach, he is probably here until Collins gets the call.

Edited by SouthWallace

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Palka love is one of the stranger White Sox fan memes. 

I think it has more to do with Alonso being terrible and not wanting his 2020 option to kick in than Palka being good.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Palka love is one of the stranger White Sox fan memes. 

He was a fun dude that brought some timely homers in a dismal season.  But April basically proved he's AAAA, even as much as a lot of us wish he were for real.

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I think it’s more to do with Alonso being terrible than Palka being good.

Funny thing is Alonso has been much better than Palka this year in major league games. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind if neither never played another game for the White Sox.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

4A hitter. 

I am honestly amazed how quickly players are stuck with this label.

Delmonico hit very well his rookie year, but struggled in an injury riddled season. BAM. 4A player for eternity.

Same for Palka after he showed amazing power and was one of the best in baseball in exit velocity.

The Cardinals have shown time and time again how well some players are capable of playing that haven‘t been top prospects by any stretch of the imagination. Let‘s give these guys a chance, especially in a season that‘s another non-competitive year.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lillian said:

He had 35 at bats, with the Sox, this season. How is that a sufficient sample size, upon which to conclude anything?

He is 27 and doesn’t have a history to suggest he is anything more than what he is been, which to this point, including last season, is replacement level.

10 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

So...an upgrade?

Would depend how you look at it. His fWAR is actually worse than Alonso’s, and since it’s negative the fewer ABs actually helps him. If you take it by career Alonso is better. But if you just want to fit Palka career vs Alonso 40 games, then your narrative works.

Palka sucks. Come to grips with it. Right now, Tilson and Cordell deserve to be in Chicago more than Palka. I am sure Delmonico will go when Eloy is back. Hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Would depend how you look at it. His fWAR is actually worse than Alonso’s, and since it’s negative the fewer ABs actually helps him. If you take it by career Alonso is better. But if you just want to fit Palka career vs Alonso 40 games, then your narrative works.

Palka sucks. Come to grips with it. Right now, Tilson and Cordell deserve to be in Chicago more than Palka. I am sure Delmonico will go when Eloy is back. Hopefully tomorrow.

I agree with this.  I only want Palka up cuz that likely means they will have cut Alonso loose.  I don’t want him on the team next year.

35 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think it has more to do with Alonso being terrible and not wanting his 2020 option to kick in than Palka being good.

White Sox fans have always had a strange fascination with big white dues that hit homers and suck at baseball. I blame Bridgeport. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I agree with this.  I only want Palka up cuz that likely means they will have cut Alonso loose.  I don’t want him on the team next year.

Neither Palka nor Alonso are part of the team's future. They're at about the top of the "who gives a shit" list. 

If Palka has magically become selective at the plate, it’s a different thing.  I am sure that when the A’s released Max Muncy, they didn’t expect this.  Look at Luke Voit.  One of the areas good teams have over the Sox right now is getting production out of AAAA type players.  Polka has some talent.  Isn’t finding useful players off the scrap heap part of any successful rebuild?  Currently, our outfield is Tilson, Cordell, Leury, Delmonico, Jimenez soon, and Alonso at DH.  You’re not blocking Lou Gehrig by giving the guy another shot.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

In a vacuum, Palka right now is a better DH option than Alonso.  But Alonso has nine million reasons why he is still on the roster.

With Eloy close to returning, and Collins being close to ready, I don't think the FO is going to add to the roster crunch by recalling Palka with Delmonico up and while still evaluating Tilson and Cordell.  And as much as I want to see Alonso launched over 31st street beach, he is probably here until Collins gets the call.

In what world is palka better than anyone on a mlb roster?

56 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny thing is Alonso has been much better than Palka this year in major league games. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind if neither never played another game for the White Sox.

This all day.  Forget Palka.  Collins is the key.  Get him up here and see if that OBP translates.  At the very worst he’s Palka & Alonso. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In what world is palka better than anyone on a mlb roster?

Better at what ? Hard to be a worse hitter than Alonso has been . Better HR hitter than Delmonico Tilson and Cordell .Better as a baseball player not so much but he is getting a ton of walks at AAA .

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Seems strange to me that people suggest the Sox are going to part with Alonso, The Sox have played 44 games Alonso has played in 42 of them. Only Moncada and Abreu have played more games. He is also 3rd on the team in plate appearances, He is also making $9M a year a fact that others have pointed out.

I have no idea why the Sox play him so much . He's at 0 WAR. Even Engel had a .2 WAR. They seem to be trying very hard to justify trading for him. There's really no point in playing him so much. Chances of getting anything at the trade deadline seem remote and it would be idiotic to give him enough PAs for the Sox to be stuck with him next year.

I can only hope those who want him gone are right but right now there is no indication that this will happen.

So far he's just a younger version of Adam LaRoche.

The crazy thing is Yonder has been even worse against RH pitching and pretty good against lefties but he's getting the bulk of his AB's against righties. BA .153  OBP ,254 . SLG.252 .  OPS .506

To be fair...he's no where near the pain in the ass that LaRoche was.

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I am honestly amazed how quickly players are stuck with this label.

Delmonico hit very well his rookie year, but struggled in an injury riddled season. BAM. 4A player for eternity.

Same for Palka after he showed amazing power and was one of the best in baseball in exit velocity.

The Cardinals have shown time and time again how well some players are capable of playing that haven‘t been top prospects by any stretch of the imagination. Let‘s give these guys a chance, especially in a season that‘s another non-competitive year.

Delmonico's recent defense has improved quite a bit IMO.