Palka time

zisk

I just don't see how anyone can argue giving Alonso the DH at bats over Palka.  If you want to argue Collins over Palka, that makes some sense I guess.  But there is literally zero reason for the Sox to continue to run Alonso out there everyday.  There isn't a chance in hell they're recouping anything worth a damn in a trade for him.  Just cut him, let someone else sign him for the MLB min, and take your ~$400k or whatever in savings, and put someone who has at least a 1% chance of being a future piece in his place.

I know they'll eventually do it, but just do it now.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is it really unlucky though when he hits 90% of his hard hit balls directly into the shift?  He's one of the easiest guys to defend because he hits the ball in the same spot nearly every time.  This isn't going to change.  

Exactly. Great great post. He's virtually an automatic out unless he whacks it over the fence or off the wall.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don't see how anyone can argue giving Alonso the DH at bats over Palka.  If you want to argue Collins over Palka, that makes some sense I guess.  But there is literally zero reason for the Sox to continue to run Alonso out there everyday.  There isn't a chance in hell they're recouping anything worth a damn in a trade for him.  Just cut him, let someone else sign him for the MLB min, and take your ~$400k or whatever in savings, and put someone who has at least a 1% chance of being a future piece in his place.

I know they'll eventually do it, but just do it now.   

How can they do that? Hahn might as well resign first. You can't cut a 9 million dollar man after 7 weeks. He could always heat up in the summer months of 90 degree and up baseball.

58 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

MLB roster spots are supposed to be extremely valuable. The Sox FO doesn't seem to understand this and that is downright scary. 

Also, the general consensus of this board was in favor of the "friends and family" just a few short months ago. 

How bout using the argument Alonso would have hit better if his brother in law were in Chicago? He'd be happier, more motivated and we'd be winning more. Silly argument? No worse than the one in response to my Avi-fandom. The one that says "If Avi were in Chicago whose to say he'd be doing well?" The Avi watch: .278, 7 HR, 17 RBI, 3 stolen bases.  And he's drawn 10 bases on balls. Not awful.

5 hours ago, mqr said:

DFA Castillo and Alonso and call up Collins and Palka. What do they have to lose by doing that? It's almost too perfectly setup to justify carrying those assclowns

That's probably the plan, I would imagine. Neither have trade value. Both are sunken costs. Give the kids some looks. #shrug

We might expect Eloy and Palka, to replace Delmonico and Rondon. It's probably too early to hope for the front office to DFA Alonso, or Castillo. However, we should have reasonable expectations that they will figure out some way to cut ties with both, before the season is over. Everyone here seems pretty confident that the front office will not allow themselves to get stuck with Yonder's vested option. In the meantime, perhaps they can get by with Leury serving as the back up middle infielder, and let Tilson patrol CF, where his range and defence would be critically important, if they have both Eloy and Palka, at the corners. Palka could platoon with Cordell, who could also be a defensive replacement, for Daniel. In any case, if Palka stays hot, you can bet he will get called back up.

At least until Alonso is gone, I'd like to see the following lineup, versus RH pitching, with this balance of RH and LH hitters:

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

DH Abreu

RF  Palka

LF  Eloy

1B  Alonso

C   McCann

2B Yolmer or Leury

CF  Tilson

Edited by Lillian

On 5/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, OneDog847 said:

They should have more guys battling for roster spots especially on the pitching side. It is kind of scary that they don't. 

They should most definitely give Matt Skole and Palka a shot over Alonso. They should also bring up one of Collins/Zavala to replace Castillo after Memorial Day weekend. Collins is 24 and Zavala is 25. Time to see what they can offer in the Show. i

I agree.  Time so see what we have in the two guys you mention and also find out if McCann is extension worthy.  Castillo does nothing for this team now or future.

Most of us are frustrated with Alonso being given so many starts, in the middle of the order, given his awful performance at the plate. It just highlights how badly this team needs a potent left handed bat, which you all know that I covet. Now that Eloy is back, the middle of the order is far too right handed. Moncada is the only real power threat, who can hit from the left side. Thus, we are likely to continue to see Yonder hitting in the middle of the order. Like most of you, I'm ready to just cut ties and let either Skole or Palka take his place.

19 hours ago, Lillian said:

Most of us are frustrated with Alonso being given so many starts, in the middle of the order, given his awful performance at the plate. It just highlights how badly this team needs a potent left handed bat, which you all know that I covet. Now that Eloy is back, the middle of the order is far too right handed. Moncada is the only real power threat, who can hit from the left side. Thus, we are likely to continue to see Yonder hitting in the middle of the order. Like most of you, I'm ready to just cut ties and let either Skole or Palka take his place.

I see you are still not valuing Grand Slam Tilson as a power threat.  Just kidding.  Actually I agree because would rather find out if Palka has anything vs a guy who will definitely not be part of anything.  Palka is a potential piece of the rebuild until he isn't.  Not that I have high hopes.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, greg775 said:

How bout using the argument Alonso would have hit better if his brother in law were in Chicago? He'd be happier, more motivated and we'd be winning more. Silly argument? No worse than the one in response to my Avi-fandom. The one that says "If Avi were in Chicago whose to say he'd be doing well?" The Avi watch: .278, 7 HR, 17 RBI, 3 stolen bases.  And he's drawn 10 bases on balls. Not awful.

On the other hand we found Tilson by not being tied to Avi so that was the silver lining.