ron883

Yoan's longterm position?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Yoan's longterm position?

• 3B
    • 2B
    • Dependent on player acquisitions/callups
    • Other

The Fangraphs update just gave Moncada a huge bump defensively. He is now at a -0.1 defensive rating, way up from ~ -3, and 14th in baseball (among 3B). As a result, he is currently sitting at 1.6 fWAR and is on pace for about 5.8 fWAR. I was against moving him to 3B originally, but I want him to stay there now. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The Fangraphs update just gave Moncada a huge bump defensively. He is now at a -0.1 defensive rating, way up from ~ -3, and 14th in baseball (among 3B). As a result, he is currently sitting at 1.6 fWAR and is on pace for about 5.8 fWAR. I was against moving him to 3B originally, but I want him to stay there now. 

Yea he's handled it.  Still opened up a hole at 2B (Madrigal is years away) but whatever at least he looks decent there.

16 hours ago, mqr said:

He’s been fine at third

Agreed.    Leave him there, don't mess with something good.    And just like we assumed his bat would come around from last year's rough season, I expect his defense at 3B to also improve going forward (and it's not that bad to begin with).

I'm in with "depends on signings".

If the White Sox want to come into 2020 with a roster that could be competitive on paper, right now they need to add a RF, a 1b/DH (probably easiest to fill), a 2b, a starting pitcher, and an entire bullpen. They might be able to pull off a trade for someone, but they don't have a lot of assets outside of Robert and Cease so let's just assume mostly this gets done via FA.

There are some 2b options available as decent free agents. Scooter Gennett from the Reds, Jonathan Schoop from the Twins, Zobrist, Starlin Castro, some part time guys like Kendrick, Wilmer Flores, Brock Holt, Asdrubal Cabrera. 

At 3b the list is thinner, there are a handful of moderate quality names (Donaldson), but if you want the biggest upgrade available on the infield, that's Anthony Rendon. Rendon has played some 2b before, but not since 2015. If you want the biggest IF upgrade available next year, It's Rendon, Anderson, moncada, 1b. Moncada, Anderson, Gennett, and 1b could potentially be good enough, but Rendon would be worth it.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

How is he gonna be a full time catcher when Tim Anderson already has it locked down? 

LOL this is now going on in multiple threads. I've said it in the other and I'll say it here. Anderson cant move behind the plate until Sheets takes over at 3B. 

• Haha 1