How many wins do you expect out of this road trip?

vilehoopster

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought 1 myself and it's not being negative. On the road against 2 good teams . Having a bullpen game and Covey will surely tax the bullpen for the rest of the games. Verlander , Cole ,  you see a win there ? Peacock tonight and he's been really good his last 2 starts.  Maybe a win today but i wouldn't bet on the Sox in Houston with the bullpen starting. Berrios makes Sox hitters look drunk. If we don't get Perez and Ordorizzi might have a chance for another win.

I'll go with 2.

It's just a matter of time until Perez returns to being a below average major league pitcher and Odorizzi being merely average.  These guys are pitching so far above their ability level right now.  It is not sustainable. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's just a matter of time until Perez returns to being a below average major league pitcher and Odorizzi being merely average.  These guys are pitching so far above their ability level right now.  It is not sustainable. 

It also might be a matter of time before the Sox are closer to 10 games under .500 than 2 . The starting staff is being glued together right now,

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

3-4 would be nice. They could get some confidence. Gio and Lopez are pitching pretty well. Nova usually alternates good and bad starts. Houston is great but banged up, and Minnesota isn't the house of horrors it used to be. I think they can do it. 

If I was putting money on it probably 2.  I could put a positive spin on 3 and be really pleased with 4+.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Perez was introduced a cutter that is now his primary pitch throwing it 34% of the time. Hitters are hitting .104 against it. Last year he threw his sinker 50% of the time, so now he has 3 pitches he can control, and the cutter/changeup getting a lot of whiffs.

It made him a pitcher that was terrible against RHP suddenly better against Righties than lefties.

He signed for .87 Jon Jays.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Perez was introduced a cutter that is now his primary pitch throwing it 34% of the time. Hitters are hitting .104 against it. Last year he threw his sinker 50% of the time, so now he has 3 pitches he can control, and the cutter/changeup getting a lot of whiffs.

It made him a pitcher that was terrible against RHP suddenly better against Righties than lefties.

He signed for .87 Jon Jays.

Yah, I'm aware.  I live in Minneapolis and watch the Twins whenever the Sox aren't playing.  He didn't become the second coming of Johan Santana over the offseason, new cutter be damned.  I'd be surprised if he had an ERA below 4 by seasons end.  

I expect a 7-0 road trip, with Alonzo & Castillo in a 2-way battle for AL Player of the week. One will lead the league in HR during this road trip, while the other will lead the league in mound chargings. 

I also expect Covey to fall short of a perfect game, as he hits the last hitter with a pitch, leading him to be ejected.

Ricky Renteria will then get a 5 year contract extension, based on general principle. 

Dallas Keuchel will then sign for the league minimum, & lead this team to the world series.

Yolmer will be the WS MVP, but will have to hold off Carson Fulmer for the award. 

What?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We lost the two games (bullpen game & Verlander)  we all probably expected to lose.  Now we have 2 games with realistic chance.  If we grab 1 game in Houston it is a moral victory.

Moral victory by going 1-3? No.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Perhaps you haven't noticed that Houston loses very few games at home.

The Sox have scored 1 run in two games. There is no such thing as a moral victory when you get clowned by a team and manage to win 1 out of 4. You think our players come out thinking "well at least we won one"? If they count that as a moral victory, they should be embarrassed. 

• Like 1

Our roster isn't built to beat Houston in Houston. I would be shocked if we win one game in this series. One is always possible in baseball but frankly I don't see any reason we should get one of four there. Maybe 1-3 at the Cell vs. Houston.

A problem is that there is very little middle ground with this team.  Some nights they look quite good, and are fun to watch especially when the young core guys are getting it done.  But often they are grossly overmatched and I do not mean only by good teams like the Astros.  That being said, a good game from Giolito and a split in Houston would be a very nice.  It would be great to have some confidence going into Minnesota. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still think we'll get 3 on this trip. 

This would appear to be the turning point game on that prediction.

Very excited about tonights game, which means they're going to lay an egg. 

Edited by mqr

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

This would appear to be the turning point game on that prediction.

Very excited about tonights game, which means they're going to lay an egg. 

Corbin Martin is legit. If Giolito walks away with a quality start, I’m happy. Maybe the Sox find a way to win a 3-2 game.

3 hours ago, wegner said:

A problem is that there is very little middle ground with this team.  Some nights they look quite good, and are fun to watch especially when the young core guys are getting it done.  But often they are grossly overmatched and I do not mean only by good teams like the Astros.  That being said, a good game from Giolito and a split in Houston would be a very nice.  It would be great to have some confidence going into Minnesota. 

that's the starting pitching mostly.  hard to look good when you got three 5th starters (and borderline for a couple of those guys) in your rotation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flavum said:

Corbin Martin is legit. If Giolito walks away with a quality start, I’m happy. Maybe the Sox find a way to win a 3-2 game.

It’s not like Martin has been setting the world on fire. He’s a young guy coming off of one solid start and a a very meh one. 

He very well could rip off a great one, but I feel better against him than Cole and that went okay.