Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

Bruce Levine was on The Score this morning and said that the Cubs are looking for a closer.  He mentioned Ken Giles and Alex Colome as options.  How about these roster moves?

Colome to the Cubs for Ian Happ.  Happ starts in RF for the Sox.

Release Yonder Alonso since he has zero value and call up Daniel Palka to DH.

Trade Leury Garcia for whatever you can get.  Start Charlie Tilson in CF.  He can move to fourth outfielder once Luis Robert is here.

Once Welington Castillo is traded/released, call up Zack Collins.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

I mentioned this to a few people this morning...

Trade Colome for Almora Jr. & Ian Happ

Almora can play CF for us for the next at least 3 seasons, moving Robert to a corner. Happ can play 2B until Madrigal is ready, then can bump to a corner OF moving Eloy to DH. 

The Cubs aren't using either of them enough anyway, so I don't know what their logic would be in balking at it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'd want more for Colome so no thanks to that

He’s a 30 year old closer under control for one more season, likely at around $10 million dollars via salary arbitration.  I realize he has value but I think some people are overvaluing him.  I’d take a 24 year old outfielder under control through 2023 that has shown he can hit .250 / .840 with 25 HR for a one year closer.  You are buying low on Happ.  You couldn’t have dreamt to land him for a one year closer last season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, QBBrian13 said:

I mentioned this to a few people this morning...

Trade Colome for Almora Jr. & Ian Happ

Almora can play CF for us for the next at least 3 seasons, moving Robert to a corner. Happ can play 2B until Madrigal is ready, then can bump to a corner OF moving Eloy to DH. 

The Cubs aren't using either of them enough anyway, so I don't know what their logic would be in balking at it.

I wouldn’t mind also getting Almora but I think you would be getting too greedy.  Besides, Robert is the future in CF.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wouldn’t mind also getting Almora but I think you would be getting too greedy.  Besides, Robert is the future in CF.

Yeah, possibly have to add in a lower level prospect to make it happen, but again, they do not use Almora near enough to say he would be off limits for maybe the only piece they are missing this season. 

I agree that Robert is the future, but would their be anything wrong with having 2 "CF's" playing somewhere in the outfield? Considering our OF defense at the moment, I'd be good with both of those guys covering ground out there.

28 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Bruce Levine was on The Score this morning and said that the Cubs are looking for a closer.  He mentioned Ken Giles and Alex Colome as options.  How about these roster moves?

Trade Leury Garcia for whatever you can get.  Start Charlie Tilson in CF.  He can move to fourth outfielder once Luis Robert is here.

If Colome is traded, I'm expecting more prospects in return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QBBrian13 said:

Yeah, possibly have to add in a lower level prospect to make it happen, but again, they do not use Almora near enough to say he would be off limits for maybe the only piece they are missing this season. 

I agree that Robert is the future, but would their be anything wrong with having 2 "CF's" playing somewhere in the outfield? Considering our OF defense at the moment, I'd be good with both of those guys covering ground out there.

Hey, if Rick can get Almora and Happ for some combination of Colome and other(s), I’m all for it.  I just don’t see it happening.  The Cubs do utilize Almora.  He has 130 at bats.

19 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

When a thread starts with "Bruce Levine said," you know you're in for a ride. 

What is meat head about it?  I know Levine sucks but the Cubs are most definitely looking for a closer.  Levine actually heard this news from the Blue Jays broadcaster so it isn’t his news.  Brandon Morrow is as injury-prone as Nate Jones and can’t be counted on so it’s no surprise that the Cubs would be looking for another reliever.  🙄

Edited by Moan4Yoan

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I am with with most of this plan (I'd ultimately be OK with Happ for Colome, but would want more), but really don't see the need to trade Leury. He's not going to return much, but he's super useful.  He's the perfect utility guy.  I'd keep him around unless someone wants to overpay.  

I also don't think Castillo is getting released anytime soon.  He is a legitimate MLBer. He's had a rough go with the Sox, but he's mashed LHP in his career, and I have no problem keep him on the roster.  In fact, Castillo, McCann and Collins form a pretty decent 3-headed C/DH rotation in which McCann catches RHP and Collins DHs.  Castillo and McCann split DH / C duties against LHP.  Collins gets an occasional start at C against RHP.   

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am with with most of this plan (I'd ultimately be OK with Happ for Colome, but would want more), but really don't see the need to trade Leury. He's not going to return much, but he's super useful.  He's the perfect utility guy.  I'd keep him around unless someone wants to overpay.  

I also don't think Castillo is getting released anytime soon.  He is a legitimate MLBer. He's had a rough go with the Sox, but he's mashed LHP in his career, and I have no problem keep him on the roster.  In fact, Castillo, McCann and Collins form a pretty decent 3-headed C/DH rotation in which McCann catches RHP and Collins DHs.  Castillo and McCann split DH / C duties against LHP.  Collins gets an occasional start at C against RHP.   

Castillo won’t be on the team next year and between his PED suspension and terrible numbers so far this season, I doubt any teams will be interested.  At this point, I’d rather see Collins get his at bats.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Castillo won’t be on the team next year and between his PED suspension and terrible numbers so far this season, I doubt any teams will be interested.  At this point, I’d rather see Collins get his at bats.

They are literally opposite platoon mates.  Castillo should not play against RHP.  Collins should not play again LHP.  They can coexist on the roster just fine.

Obviously Castillo is not a future piece. But he's also not a complete bum, and he will most certainly spend several more years in the big leagues.  The Sox don't need to cut him him. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

They are literally opposite platoon mates.  Castillo should not play against RHP.  Collins should not play again LHP.  They can coexist on the roster just fine.

Obviously Castillo is not a future piece. But he's also not a complete bum, and he will most certainly spend several more years in the big leagues.  The Sox don't need to cut him him. 

Castillo is gone after this season.  The Sox are not picking up his option.  300 more at bats for Castillo does nothing for the Sox this year or going forward.  Why would you even argue this?

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Castillo is gone after this season.  The Sox are not picking up his option.  300 more at bats for Castillo does nothing for the Sox this year or going forward.  Why would you even argue this?

You struggle with reading comprehension.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What is meat head about it?  I know Levine sucks but the Cubs are most definitely looking for a closer.  Levine actually heard this news from the Blue Jays broadcaster so it isn’t his news.  Brandon Morrow is as injury-prone as Nate Jones and can’t be counted on so it’s no surprise that the Cubs would be looking for another reliever.  🙄

First, May isn't "time to make a move." Second, trade insert Sox player for insert Cubs player is the quintessential Chicago fan/meathead take. Third, Bruce Levine. Last, there no point in trading Leury and cutting Alonso. It's just reactionary meathead takes. Neither has value, it's may, and this is still very much a rebuild. 

33 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

First, May isn't "time to make a move." Second, trade insert Sox player for insert Cubs player is the quintessential Chicago fan/meathead take. Third, Bruce Levine. Last, there no point in trading Leury and cutting Alonso. It's just reactionary meathead takes. Neither has value, it's may, and this is still very much a rebuild. 

“This is still very much a rebuild” is the exact reason you stop wasting playing time on garbage vets that won’t be on the team next year....very possibly not in the majors. 

41 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I already explained the Levine thing — the Cubs interest in a closer was generated from the Blue Jays broadcaster, not Levine himself.

Next, the Cubs and Sox have made a trade recently.  They also have a former first round OF/2B that is still young and could fit the Sox roster.  The Sox also have a player that would interest the Cubs in Colome.  I didn’t just pick the Cubs because they are the crosstown team.  How is this a meatball take when there is a potential match of players that could be swapped, each guy adding value to the opposing team?

Finally, if you admit that neither Alonso and Leury has any value, why hang on to them? Their salaries are a sunk cost and like you said, they have no value and no teams are giving up anything for them.  Use their at bats on players that will actually be here going forward.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

“This is still very much a rebuild” is the exact reason you stop wasting playing time on garbage vets that won’t be on the team next year....very possibly not in the majors. 

Exactly.  The only “meatball” take here is TaylorStSox’s.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If we're talking about the Sox trading with the Cubs, I'd much rather go after Nico Hoerner (even though he's hurt) than Happ or Almora Jr.

Agreed, I can’t argue with you here but I don’t see the Cubs giving him up.