Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

41 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

First, May isn't "time to make a move." Second, trade insert Sox player for insert Cubs player is the quintessential Chicago fan/meathead take. Third, Bruce Levine. Last, there no point in trading Leury and cutting Alonso. It's just reactionary meathead takes. Neither has value, it's may, and this is still very much a rebuild. 

Honestly, there are years where May is exactly the time to make a move. If some team clearly needs bullpen help but otherwise they think they're competitive, by Memorial day you roughly know what your teams needs are, you get a and if that's the case there's no good reason for that team to wait on making a strong offer, unless they are willing to spend the money and time for Kimbrel. You make a move in late May to fill a dramatic hole, maybe you can win 2 or 3 close games before the trade deadline hits.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, there are years where May is exactly the time to make a move. If some team clearly needs bullpen help but otherwise they think they're competitive, by Memorial day you roughly know what your teams needs are, and if that's the case there's no good reason for that team to wait on making a strong offer, unless they are willing to spend the money and time for Kimbrel. 

Yes there are definitely years when May is the time to make a move. But definitely not a guy who may be the top reliever on the market (also with an additional year of control).

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes there are definitely years when May is the time to make a move. But definitely not a guy who may be the top reliever on the market (also with an additional year of control).

Well there's one obvious problem - in no universe is he the top reliever on the market particularly after the draft. If I had the choice I'd always go for Kimbrel as good as he's been in his career, if I couldn't afford him Giles has pitched better than Colome this year and also has 2 years of control available.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Well there's one obvious problem - in no universe is he the top reliever on the market particularly after the draft. If I had the choice I'd always go for Kimbrel as good as he's been in his career, if I couldn't afford him Giles has pitched better than Colome this year and also has 2 years of control available.

Agreed.  I’d move Colome before the big boys become available.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  I’d move Colome before the big boys become available.

Some other guys on the list include Shane Greene (Tigers, 2 years of control, similar stats to Colome), Will Smith of the Giants (a little worse than Colome, 1 year of control), you could see Wade Davis (expensive) or Greg Holland (spectacular so far) become available also given that the Dodgers already have a 6 game division lead.

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Why do we want the shitty cubs’ prospects again?  Please remind me.  Because Kaplan hyped them up?

I don’t care what Kaplan says.  Happ had an .842 OPS in his rookie season and then had a bad sophomore season.  He is still young (24), under control through 2023, and the Sox have massive holes in RF and 2B.  I’d take a shot on buying low on the potential for an above average bat for the cost of one more year of a pricey closer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

14 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Rabbit also tweeted recently how he would have Mendick, Collins, and Palka up in the near future. I'd be okay with this.

I’m fine with this as well but I would also look to sell high with another year of control and get some value back for Colome.

27 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, I read it.  I still don’t see the upside to giving Castillo at bats.

Because the Sox do not have another catcher they think is ready for those at bats?

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Punting 2020 is the wrong move so keep him unless someone blows you away. 

Punting 2019 was the wrong move too, but that is neither here nor there.

In context of this, Marquez and Ademan in addition to Happ?

43 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, I read it.  I still don’t see the upside to giving Castillo at bats.

Look, I am not some big Castillo fan but he serves a purpose on the roster.  Even with Collins up.  Do you really call Collins up to be the back up catcher?  If you're calling him up to be the DH against RHP, you're going to need a third catcher.  McCann, Collins and Castillo can coexist just fine on the 25 man.  The odd men out would be Alonso (please) and likely Palka too, unless you want to have an OF with Eloy and Palka in it.    

As I said earlier this thread, McCann and Collins cover DH and C against RHP.  Castillos backs up.  McCann and Castillo cover DH and C against LHP.  Collins backs up.  It makes a lot of sense, but it obviously does not work with Alonso on the roster.  

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

In context of this, Marquez and Ademan in addition to Happ?

Don't think I even pick up the phone if they call unless Miguel Amaya or Hoerner is involved. They probably wouldn't be, but that's fine, not sure why everyone is so set on the Cubs. 

Edited by mqr

24 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Happ less than stellar so far in AAA.  Let Cubs keep him.  Colome has been super.  Keep him  for next year.

Yep. Happ is on the Fulmer path of wasted draft pick. 223 BA, 84 wRC+ and 25.8 K% in AAA this year with that ball is brutal. Danny Mendick appears to be a better option at this point and he’s already in the organization. If the Sox are going to trade Colome, they better be looking for young arms, not marginal position player talent.

30 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m fine with this as well but I would also look to sell high with another year of control and get some value back for Colome.

I'm totally on board with dealing Colome too. Should bring back something valuable. Won't be around when the White Sox are viable.

Also:

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I'm totally on board with dealing Colome too. Should bring back something valuable. Won't be around when the White Sox are viable.

Also:

I’m certainly ready to give Collins and Mendick a shot since there’s really no one blocking them. This is the year for them to take their lumps and determine if they are part of the future.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m certainly ready to give Collins and Mendick a shot since there’s really no one blocking them. This is the year for them to take their lumps and determine if they are part of the future.

Mendick means giving up on either Yolmer or Rodon likely forever, which okay most people are probably fine with, but you better be damn sure which one you don't see a use for. 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

“This is still very much a rebuild” is the exact reason you stop wasting playing time on garbage vets that won’t be on the team next year....very possibly not in the majors. 

So you want to play Palka, a 27 year old that's garbage, or rush some prospects that aren't ready? You need to field a team during a rebuild and part of that is playing garbage vets. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. Happ is on the Fulmer path of wasted draft pick. 223 BA, 84 wRC+ and 25.8 K% in AAA this year with that ball is brutal. Danny Mendick appears to be a better option at this point and he’s already in the organization. If the Sox are going to trade Colome, they better be looking for young arms, not marginal position player talent.

Fulmer never had a rookie year like Happ so I don’t see how you could make the same assumption with Happ.  Fulmer was always terrible.  Happ has shown success in the majors.

Edited by Moan4Yoan