Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

23 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

So you want to play Palka, a 27 year old that's garbage, or rush some prospects that aren't ready? You need to field a team during a rebuild and part of that is playing garbage vets. 

You think Mendick and Collins would be rushed if they were called up in the next month? 

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

You think Mendick and Collins would be rushed if they were called up in the next month? 

No, but I would if they were called up a month ago. I also remain unconvinced that White Sox fans are mentally prepared for the Zack Collins Experience and whatever it may entail. 

Edited by mqr

53 minutes ago, Baker said:

If they DFA Alonzo I know they’re on the hook for this year’s salary, but what about next year’s vesting option in case he gets picked up and reaches 550 PA?  

The team that would pick him up in this scenerio would be the team on the hook for the vesting option.  And its actually only 526 PA based on how many he got in 2018.  

47 minutes ago, mqr said:

Mendick means giving up on either Yolmer or Rodon likely forever, which okay most people are probably fine with, but you better be damn sure which one you don't see a use for. 

It would very clearly be Rondon that would go before Yolmer.  

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Punting 2020 is the wrong move so keep him unless someone blows you away. 

Punting 2019 was the wrong move too, but that is neither here nor there.

What happens with Colome over the next few months should indicate the Sox plans for 2020.  Trading him likely means another quiet offseason and punting 2020. Keeping him indicates that they plan to compete.  They are going to have to spend a couple hundred million dollars in FA if they plan to compete in 2020 though. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well there's one obvious problem - in no universe is he the top reliever on the market particularly after the draft. If I had the choice I'd always go for Kimbrel as good as he's been in his career, if I couldn't afford him Giles has pitched better than Colome this year and also has 2 years of control available.

Either way, in no universe am I dealing Colome now.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Either way, in no universe am I dealing Colome now.

I can see the desire for wanting an established closer for next season since it may be the first season of competitiveness but I am not sure they are there yet.  I would risk it, sell extremely high on Colome for a longer term piece, and go with Herrera at closer next year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

44 minutes ago, mqr said:

No, but I would if they were called up a month ago. I also remain unconvinced that White Sox fans are mentally prepared for the Zack Collins Experience and whatever it may entail. 

It's getting close to see what this kid has to offer at the MLB level. The Sox can't hide him down in the minors forever. He now has over 1300 at bats in the minors. I would give him another month or so down in Charlotte to shake off the cobwebs from the concussion and bring him up around July 1. 

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I can see the desire for wanting an established closer for next season since it may be the first season of competitiveness but I am not sure they are there yet.  I would risk it, sell extremely high on Colome for a longer term piece, and go with Herrera at closer next year.

I think you'd be disappointed in what the current offer for Colome would be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Fulmer never had a rookie year like Happ so I don’t see how you could make the same assumption with Happ.  Fulmer was always terrible.  Happ has shown success in the majors.

Both have been big disappointments is the point and neither is currently (or for the foreseeable future) a factor at the big league level for their respective teams.

31 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It depends on whether Collins plays every day. Mendick is a non-prospect imo. 

Mendick a Non-prospect? I think the guy is widely underrated. He may be a late bloomer at age 25 already but he definitely has potential to serve as a solid utility player on a playoff caliber team. That’s more than Rondon and Sanchez are providing at the moment. Plus, next year Sanchez gets awfully expensive for a utility type player while Mendick will be playing on league minimum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Look, I am not some big Castillo fan but he serves a purpose on the roster.  Even with Collins up.  Do you really call Collins up to be the back up catcher?  If you're calling him up to be the DH against RHP, you're going to need a third catcher.  McCann, Collins and Castillo can coexist just fine on the 25 man.  The odd men out would be Alonso (please) and likely Palka too, unless you want to have an OF with Eloy and Palka in it.    

As I said earlier this thread, McCann and Collins cover DH and C against RHP.  Castillos backs up.  McCann and Castillo cover DH and C against LHP.  Collins backs up.  It makes a lot of sense, but it obviously does not work with Alonso on the roster.  

Before reading your post I wasn't sure which of Alonso or Castillo I wanted gone more, but your point here is really sound.  Castillo does still serve a purpose as the C v Lefties.  And if Collins were called up he very well could take away any unnecessary Castillo starts vs Righties if or when McCann needs a day off.   Alonso definitely needs to go more than Castillo.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

It's getting close to see what this kid has to offer at the MLB level. The Sox can't hide him down in the minors forever. He now has over 1300 at bats in the minors. I would give him another month or so down in Charlotte to shake off the cobwebs from the concussion and bring him up around July 1. 

He's sporting a 917 OPS in AAA with a 21/39 BB/K ratio.   Way too many strikeouts but he's had plenty of seasoning and knows how to take a walk and can hit the ball hard when he makes contact.  Get him up here.  There's really not much more he can improve down in the minors.  Any adjustments he needs to make to be a decent every day regular will have to occur at the MLB level.  Might as well get started on that process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Oh, casual fans will hate Collins, but I couldn't care less. He's gonna be a very solid offensive player. 

Happ is having a lousy year at AAA. I'm thinking Fulmer for Happ. They were picked right next to each other too.

Colome isn't a dominant pitcher; they should get something good for him, but not a ton and not what they gave up for him.  But I'm not sure they should trade him anyway - Hahn doesn't take advantage of seller's leverage in July and he  will just look for another closer in December

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, GreenSox said:

Happ is having a lousy year at AAA. I'm thinking Fulmer for Happ. They were picked right next to each other too.

Colome isn't a dominant pitcher; they should get something good for him, but not a ton and not what they gave up for him.

Lol.  

• Like 1

My guess is that the Cubs will hold off till closer to the deadline. Relievers are so up and down that teams needing help tend to wait as long as they can. Now Colome has been pretty consistent both last year and so far this season so he may not be as erratic as some.   

The way this season is going Alonso will get his at bats and his big salary guaranteed another year. Why not? It's just $9 million and the Sox have to have a payroll over a certain amount to make it seem like they are at least half-assed trying to win rather than just stuff Jerry's pockets with cold hard cash.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The way this season is going Alonso will get his at bats and his big salary guaranteed another year. Why not? It's just $9 million and the Sox have to have a payroll over a certain amount to make it seem like they are at least half-assed trying to win rather than just stuff Jerry's pockets with cold hard cash.

I doubt the Sox let this happen.  Alonso isn’t worth half of his salary and Palka can do the same for under a million.  The Sox will cut Alonso loose at some point.  I’m sure they will look to bring back McCann due to his defense and the apparent fact that the pitchers like working with him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

What happens with Colome over the next few months should indicate the Sox plans for 2020.  Trading him likely means another quiet offseason and punting 2020. Keeping him indicates that they plan to compete.  They are going to have to spend a couple hundred million dollars in FA if they plan to compete in 2020 though. 

On who? Have you seen what that class looks like now with all the resignings?

6 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, I'm game:

Exactly WHO should spend money on this off-season? More to the point, who makes more sense than Machado or Harper?

I'll hang up, & listen for my answer.

Rendon?  Oh wait, they already moved Moncada to 3B.  Since most of the best players were already extended, the Sox will use it as an excuse to not spend any big money.

After the Machado fiasco, I seem to remember Hahn already saying that top free agents are pretty much out of the Sox range money-wise and they will look to extend their own players before spending money on free agents.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, I'm game:

Exactly WHO should spend money on this off-season? More to the point, who makes more sense than Machado or Harper?

I'll hang up, & listen for my answer.

Gerrit Cole would be my first choice. Anthony Rendon would be fantastic, too, since he’s been an even more productive player than both Machado and Harper in recent years and will cost less in total $$$ based on his age. The other great thing about Rendon is that he’s also a plus defender at 2b. With his bat he’s a 6+ WAR second basemen with just average defense.