Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Plenty of guys left to spend money on. Now the Sox actually doing it is another story. 

And whether spending $200 million would turn the Sox into a winner is another story.  Actually it's a fable.  What's the core right now - 4 players?  it would be another 2015-16 dog and pony show that's pushing for .500.

That said, the Sox could have helped themselves by spending their $9 million here, $8 million there more wisely...instead, Hahn took the lazy way out.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There are quite a few times that will need a closer.  Colome could potentially fetch a top 50 guy toward the deadline, those saying "No" are just wrong.  Kahnle, Robertson, and Frazier netted Rutherford who was a mid 30 low 40 prospect at the time.

Rutherford had already lost a lot of prospect stock when we acquired him, he was more of a bottom 100 prospect at that time.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Gerrit Cole would be my first choice. Anthony Rendon would be fantastic, too, since he’s been an even more productive player than both Machado and Harper in recent years and will cost less in total $$$ based on his age. The other great thing about Rendon is that he’s also a plus defender at 2b. With his bat he’s a 6+ WAR second basemen with just average defense.

Rendon also hasn't played a single inning at 2b since 2015. 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rutherford had already lost a lot of prospect stock when we acquired him, he was more of a bottom 100 prospect at that time.

That's literally wrong though.  Unless you can provide proof that I have not seen.  Every major site had him ranked there at the time of the trade.

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's literally wrong though.  Unless you can provide proof that I have not seen.  Every major site had him ranked there at the time of the trade.

I think if they did prospect ranking daily , there is no way at the time of the trade his statement isn't accurate. He wasn't having a stellar season. It got worse, but there was a lot of talk about his lack of power.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if they did prospect ranking daily , there is no way at the time of the trade his statement isn't accurate. He wasn't having a stellar season. It got worse, but there was a lot of talk about his lack of power.

I've seen this narrative several times posted on here and it's just simply not accurate.  There was an MLB.com ranking that came out in June of 2017 that had him mid 30's low 40's and I think a Fangraphs one around the same time that had him lower 40s.  You don't drop from there to off the prospect list in a month.  I get he's probably a bust but at that time he was still considered a top prospect.  

27 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There are quite a few times that will need a closer.  Colome could potentially fetch a top 50 guy toward the deadline, those saying "No" are just wrong.  Kahnle, Robertson, and Frazier netted Rutherford who was a mid 30 low 40 prospect at the time.

Right - 2 relievers (one with multi-years of control; the 2nd with the same control as Robertson) plus a 3B yielded that.  Colome won't come close - one problem is that he doesn't have dominating stuff.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I've seen this narrative several times posted on here and it's just simply not accurate.  There was an MLB.com ranking that came out in June of 2017 that had him mid 30's low 40's and I think a Fangraphs one around the same time that had him lower 40s.  You don't drop from there to off the prospect list in a month.  I get he's probably a bust but at that time he was still considered a top prospect.  

If the White Sox make trades based on those rankings, they need a new front office. The writing was on the wall for him. 

22 hours ago, QBBrian13 said:

Yeah, possibly have to add in a lower level prospect to make it happen, but again, they do not use Almora near enough to say he would be off limits for maybe the only piece they are missing this season. 

I agree that Robert is the future, but would their be anything wrong with having 2 "CF's" playing somewhere in the outfield? Considering our OF defense at the moment, I'd be good with both of those guys covering ground out there.

Robert-Tilson-Best Outfielder you can get in trade for Colome  may well be the FO plan.  Would probably be the smart thing to do with only one + years of control.  Jimenez moves to DH dabbles at 1st base & outfield.

39 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We're at the stage of rebuild where AAAA people who are major league ready but blocked are of more interest to me.  Need to start deciding who the 25 guys are that take us to the promise land.

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Are you implying he can no longer play it? How much 2b did Mike Moustakas play before this season?

I'd say it's absolutely an open question, and if I were spending that kind of money on a player I'd probably move Moncada back to 2b before I try moving Rendon away from a position he's played for nearly 5 full seasons.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd say it's absolutely an open question, and if I were spending that kind of money on a player I'd probably move Moncada back to 2b before I try moving Rendon away from a position he's played for nearly 5 full seasons.

Do you think Moose is a better defender than Rendon? Moose currently rates as a plus defender this year at 2b and had zero innings played at 2b in MLB prior to this year (most laughed when they heard the Brewers were moving him there). What makes you think Rendon can’t do at least that for the next several years?

Either way, it would be great to have interchangeable pieces as flexible as Rendon and Moncada in the same infield. I don’t see this as a concern, only a benefit.

How about a little common sense reasoning to this Rendon discussion?  The Sox whiffed on Machado so they moved Moncada to 3B, likely with the thought in mind that they just drafted a 2B in the first round.  They have cried poor countless times when it finally comes to sealing the deal and locking up a big time free agent.

But next offseason, the Sox are going to pay big money for Rendon and move Moncada back to 2B or play Rendon at 2B?  And they will just keep Madrigal in limbo?  Deep down, you guys must realize this hypothetical Rendon signing isn’t happening, right?  What recent events have occurred regarding the Sox in free agency that indicate that the Sox will spend big on a top free agent?  Haven’t we already received the answer to this question ?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Loved the headline in the Sun-Times today where Ricky said that with a lot of work and time Eloy can become an "average" outfielder. LOL.

Just what Sox fans hope the team / players / organization aspire to..."average."

Way to inspire the troops Ricky!

This clown needs to be sent packing along with half the guys on this roster.

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

Loved the headline in the Sun-Times today where Ricky said that with a lot of work and time Eloy can become an "average" outfielder. LOL.

Just what Sox fans hope the team / players / organization aspire to..."average."

Way to inspire the troops Ricky!

This clown needs to be sent packing along with half the guys on this roster.

This is complaining about Ricky just to complain

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How about a little common sense reasoning to this Rendon discussion?  The Sox whiffed on Machado so they moved Moncada to 3B, likely with the thought in mind that they just drafted a 2B in the first round.  They have cried poor countless times when it finally comes to sealing the deal and locking up a big time free agent.

But next offseason, the Sox are going to pay big money for Rendon and move Moncada back to 2B or play Rendon at 2B?  And they will just keep Madrigal in limbo?  Deep down, you guys must realize this hypothetical Rendon signing isn’t happening, right?  What recent events have occurred regarding the Sox in free agency that indicate that the Sox will spend big on a top free agent?  Haven’t we already received the answer to this question ?

Rendon is unlikely but, the fact is, he’s as good or an even better fit imo for this team than Manny Machado and will be cheaper in total $$$. I’m guessing he’ll get somewhere around $250M/9 years, basically what the Sox offered Machado but a bit less AAV.

14 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, I'm game:

Exactly WHO should spend money on this off-season? More to the point, who makes more sense than Machado or Harper?

I'll hang up, & listen for my answer.

Cole would be a good start.  Grandal would be nice.  Several mid to back rotation guys that would fit on short term deals.  Marcell Ozuna or Nick Castellanos in to shore up RF with Eloy and Robert.  They could easily spent the $300M they would have had to give Machado next offseason.  95% chance they don't, but they could.  And they'd probably be better off than they would have been with MM, even though I obviously really wanted him.  

34 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yah, the Sox aren't signed Rendon.  They aren't moving Moncada off 3B.  Its not happening.  Get your hopes up on Cole if you want.  There may be a shot there. 

35 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good point.

Hard to see how this team is any better than .500 next year unless they make that kind of move, but you're right, we'll see the Rick Hahn window dressing and blow $10 million on Dozier.

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, the Sox aren't signed Rendon.  They aren't moving Moncada off 3B.  Its not happening.  Get your hopes up on Cole if you want.  There may be a shot there. 

After last off-season, I'm never getting my hopes up again. Just going to wait for the "Sox agree to sign/sign (insert player name here) to deal" headline.

Edit: not until Jerry is gone at least.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

The Sox have only committed ~$15M to their 2020 payroll thus far. Who do we think they are going to sign to even get back to ~$91M, their opening day payroll this year? 4 of their highest 6 paid players this season are free agents and one of the other two (Herrera/Colome) is likely to be traded in July.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Sox have only committed ~$15M to their 2020 payroll thus far. Who do we think they are going to sign to even get back to ~$91M, their opening day payroll this year? 4 of their highest 6 paid players this season are free agents and one of the other two (Herrera/Colome) is likely to be traded in July.

I fully expect Abreu to be re-signed based on Hahn's comments so there's some money.