Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

Well they seem committed to Yonder Alonso so there is 8 million. They'll need multiple starting pitchers, and they'll get the kind that aren't quite bottom of barrel but are 6-7 down the list of top pitchers, so there is $15 mill and $8 mill so lets do 23 mill there, thats $31 million. Add ~$30 mill for arb, so totaling $76 million at that point. Then Abreu, there is $12 million, up to $88. Then who is the worst free agent I would pick offensively...puig. Definitely getting puig for like $15 million.

smells like playoffs.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well they seem committed to Yonder Alonso so there is 8 million. They'll need multiple starting pitchers, and they'll get the kind that aren't quite bottom of barrel but are 6-7 down the list of top pitchers, so there is $15 mill and $8 mill so lets do 23 mill there, thats $31 million. Add ~$30 mill for arb, so totaling $76 million at that point. Then Abreu, there is $12 million, up to $88. Then who is the worst free agent I would pick offensively...puig. Definitely getting puig for like $15 million.

smells like playoffs.

No way are they keeping Alonso around

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

smells like playoffs.

There is a zero percent chance Alonso is on the roster next season.  

Edited by ChiSox59

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

smells like playoffs.

On the other hand, the only teams that have broken in with the big boys the last two years have done so by being aggressive on the second level of FA. 

I know people will say that blew up on the Sox 2 years ago, but 2 years ago might as well be 10 with the way teams started operating. 

Edited by mqr

47 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I fully expect Abreu to be re-signed based on Hahn's comments so there's some money.

If they brought back the same team next season (including Rodon and Abreu) but replaced Nova, Alonso, Castillo, and Sanchez with some combination of Cease, Palka, Collins, and Mendick (or other AA/AAA players on league min salary), their team payroll will be just a tick over $60M. So again, unless they are planning to run out the lowest payroll in baseball next year, they have ~$30M to play with just to hit their already sub $100M payroll, 25th ranked payroll of this season. If they want to get really crazy and spend in line with league median payroll ($127M), they have ~$65M to play with. You can buy a lot of talent for $65M a year...

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If they brought back the same team next season (including Rodon and Abreu) but replaced Nova, Alonso, Castillo, and Sanchez with some combination of Cease, Palka, Collins, and Mendick (or other AA/AAA players on league min salary), their team payroll will be just a tick over $60M. So again, unless they are planning to run out the lowest payroll in baseball next year, they have ~$30M to play with just to hit their already sub $100M payroll, 25th ranked payroll of this season. If they want to get really crazy and spend in line with league median payroll ($127M), they have ~$65M to play with. You can buy a lot of talent for $65M a year...

Yes as long as they'e going to spend a good amount of that on premium talent. Not the usual innings eater to about $10 mill, a couple relievers at ~$8 mill each, stop gap veteran outfield type, and veteran stop gap DH. Like the moves we're used to when they "spend money" or "try to compete."

54 minutes ago, mqr said:

On the other hand, the only teams that have broken in with the big boys the last two years have done so by being aggressive on the second level of FA. 

Unfortunately, this is where professional scouting is even more important. I can't honestly say that this is an organizational strength.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes as long as they'e going to spend a good amount of that on premium talent. Not the usual innings eater to about $10 mill, a couple relievers at ~$8 mill each, stop gap veteran outfield type, and veteran stop gap DH. Like the moves we're used to when they "spend money" or "try to compete."

I don’t see a need for innings eater types or stopgap position players starting next year. Assuming health, the rotation should consist of Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, FA or trade (hopefully this is a middle or top rotation SP rather than back end). The bullpen is actually in pretty good shape as is and with forthcoming AA/AAA reinforcements assuming they hold on to Colome and Herrera. Position player wise, 2b and RF are probably the two most glaring holes. Past teams didn’t have guys like Tilson, Cordell, etc to fill the fringey roles but those guys are sufficient for utility roles and/or starter roles in a pinch. CF should be filled by Robert by mid April if not sooner. 

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

For all we know this might be the plan. JR owes the fans nothing and responsible only to his other shareholders. The plan might be to just keep payroll extremely low under the guise of rebuilding. 

Ain't much we can do if that happens except b**** about it on a message board. 

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

For all we know this might be the plan. JR owes the fans nothing and responsible only to his other shareholders. The plan might be to just keep payroll extremely low under the guise of rebuilding. 

Ain't much we can do if that happens except b**** about it on a message board. 

It’s certainly possible but you get what you pay for (unless you are the Tampa Rays). If they have no intentions of spending at or just above league average payroll, this rebuild never stood a chance from the start, Machado or not.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t see a need for innings eater types or stopgap position players starting next year. Assuming health, the rotation should consist of Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, FA or trade (hopefully this is a middle or top rotation SP rather than back end). The bullpen is actually in pretty good shape as is and with forthcoming AA/AAA reinforcements assuming they hold on to Colome and Herrera. Position player wise, 2b and RF are probably the two most glaring holes. Past teams didn’t have guys like Tilson, Cordell, etc to fill the fringey roles but those guys are sufficient for utility roles and/or starter roles in a pinch. CF should be filled by Robert by mid April if not sooner. 

Seriously, what bullpen reinforcements do you have confidence in right now? I guess they'll have to give Burdi a shot given how highly they drafted him, but aside from him name one young reliever in our organization you think is a major contributor next year? Bummer looks improved to start this year, but he and Fry seem to have switched abilities from last year to this year. Juan Minaya has a decent ERA in the bigs this year, are we confident in him, his ERA at Charlotte was >5?

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s certainly possible but you get what you pay for (unless you are the Tampa Rays). If they have no intentions of spending at or just above league average payroll, this rebuild never stood a chance from the start, Machado or not.

Yep. It will be a pretty epic bamboozle by JR and company if they don't open up the wallet significantly over the next few offseasons. 

Hahn and Williams are on record saying that they had this past offseason circled on their calendar since the Sale trade and yet nothing big happened. There is no guarantee that the "money will be spent". Talk is cheap. 

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I'm just saying I don't want those types. I would literally rather spread $65m around 2 or 3 guys if at least one of them is a premium talent than spread it around 5-6 over the hill veterans to fill a roster (aka what we know them for when they would try to compete).

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm just saying I don't want those types. I would literally rather spread $65m around 2 or 3 guys if at least one of them is a premium talent than spread it around 5-6 over the hill veterans to fill a roster (aka what we know them for when they would try to compete).

If the Sox spend at all, it is pretty apparent that the plan is to sign a bunch of Laroche/Melky/Robertson type guys to fill in the gaps. JR and company have had multiple opportunities to hand out 100 million dollar plus contracts over the past decade and they fall short every single time. 

No dudes like Cole, Rendon, or Bumgardner are coming to the South Side any time soon. We will have to settle for dudes like Michael Wacha, Yasiel Puig, and Jonathan Schoop. 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, what bullpen reinforcements do you have confidence in right now? I guess they'll have to give Burdi a shot given how highly they drafted him, but aside from him name one young reliever in our organization you think is a major contributor next year? Bummer looks improved to start this year, but he and Fry seem to have switched abilities from last year to this year. Juan Minaya has a decent ERA in the bigs this year, are we confident in him, his ERA at Charlotte was >5?

Dunning, Covey, Hansen, Burdi should all be in the pen next year I'd think. I mean, we have Fulmer too...

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How about a little common sense reasoning to this Rendon discussion?  The Sox whiffed on Machado so they moved Moncada to 3B, likely with the thought in mind that they just drafted a 2B in the first round.  They have cried poor countless times when it finally comes to sealing the deal and locking up a big time free agent.

But next offseason, the Sox are going to pay big money for Rendon and move Moncada back to 2B or play Rendon at 2B?  And they will just keep Madrigal in limbo?  Deep down, you guys must realize this hypothetical Rendon signing isn’t happening, right?  What recent events have occurred regarding the Sox in free agency that indicate that the Sox will spend big on a top free agent?  Haven’t we already received the answer to this question ?

Settle on Robert & Madrigal being part of the championship teams with Jimenez being DH/1st base or LF against NL.  Put our resources into pitching, extensions for our young core and McCann.  Pitching & defense wins championships.

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

If the Sox spend at all, it is pretty apparent that the plan is to sign a bunch of Laroche/Melky/Robertson type guys to fill in the gaps. JR and company have had multiple opportunities to hand out 100 million dollar plus contracts over the past decade and they fall short every single time. 

No dudes like Cole, Rendon, or Bumgardner are coming to the South Side any time soon. We will have to settle for dudes like Michael Wacha, Yasiel Puig, and Jonathan Schoop. 

Yeah more than likely.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Dunning, Covey, Hansen, Burdi should all be in the pen next year I'd think. I mean, we have Fulmer too...

Dunning just had TJS and hasn't done that much work at AA, and he'll come into next year having barely pitched in a year and a half. People have confidence in Covey now? 

I guess pulling the plug on Hansen as a starter does seem likely now, so perhaps he does count. 

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Settle on Robert & Madrigal being part of the championship teams with Jimenez being DH/1st base or LF against NL.  Put our resources into pitching, extensions for our young core and McCann.  Pitching & defense wins championships.

Can I propose a rule that we stop mentioning Madrigal as a part of a championship team until his OPS at A-Ball is no longer bouncing around .700?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2