Time for some changes, Rick

Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But to get back on topic here, the Sox will need to make some major changes soon if they’re serious about competing next season.  We desperately need to get a look at some of young guys and see who might be options for next year.

The guys I’m most interested in seeing by July 1st are Cease, Collins, Mendick, & Lambert.  And depending on where they want to use Collins, I’d probably give Palka one last shot.  That means Alonso & Nova need to be DFAed.  That means Rondon will need to be removed from the 40 man.  If they believe Collins can stick at catcher, then Castillo needs to go at some point as well.

Cease is the only one of those guys really guaranteed a spot next year.  Would be great if one or two of the others showed enough ability to be able to plug holes this offseason.  With the minor league system really struggling, reinforcements will primarily have to come from free agency.  And while we should theoretically have a ton of money to work with, money has its limits and the more cheap solid-average guys to fill spots the better.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it is just insane to me that the Sox are unwilling to give Lambert or Flores a shot right now.  They're both 25ish, and both are going to have a very tough time cracking into the rotation next year.  Give them a shot now while the opportunities are there!

I'd ultimately be fine with the Sox cutting Castillo, but I don't think they will.  If they plan for Collins to DH even 50% of the time against RHP, we probably need to carry all three catchers.  I think it actually makes a decent platoon.  McCann C and Collins DH against RHP (Collins occasional C start).  McCann C versus LHP and Welington DH (Castillo occasional C start).  The odd man out in that scenario is obviously Alonso.  IMO - that move should be made...like, today. 

Also trade out Mendick for Rondon.  

Cease will be up mid June, IMO.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One of the single dumbest posts in SoxTalk history.  You actually think the Sox won’t release him, but plan on either rostering him to the end and not playing him at all OR simply out of pure stubbornness to eat some money will continue play him to the point of his options becoming guaranteed and being on the hook for even more money.  You can’t honestly believe this bullshit which means you’re just hating to hate.

Speaking of "dumb" I've seen White Sox ownership do a lot of dumb things over the decades so I put nothing past them. And thanks for the "courteous" reply. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Getting rid of Nova right now makes no sense. While he hasn’t been good, he’s at least eating innings at ~5.5 innings per start. That’s better than what they’d get out of Covey, Banuelos, or any other AAA startimg pitcher not named Cease.

would make no sense.  Nova is a cromulent 5th starter.  We need every hand on deck for the rotation.  Not even teams with decent depth would cut Nova they'd have him as the swing man or emergency guy.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

would make no sense.  Nova is a cromulent 5th starter.  We need every hand on deck for the rotation.  Not even teams with decent depth would cut Nova they'd have him as the swing man or emergency guy.

You love the word cromulent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You love the word cromulent 

It's a good word.  I've been using "bog standard" a lot too recently.   Mostly I'm just jazzed to be talking about a mediocre Sox team with some good young players and not an awful one with 3-4 years of rebuild left.  Seems like you can see the makings of a solid club, just need to find some starting.

At MLB.com they had some updated stats on the Central teams and this stood out to me about the Sox:

"The Sox are in a four-way tie for the worst strikeout-to-walk ratio, have the second-to-worst WHIP in baseball and the highest walk rate in the MLB (10.6%)."

Normally I'd say, "Coop will fix em'" but I have to cut him some slack since he doesn't have a whole lot to work with.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Speaking of "dumb" I've seen White Sox ownership do a lot of dumb things over the decades so I put nothing past them. And thanks for the "courteous" reply. 

My guess is FO thinks Castillo has some trade value and we will see Collins when that is accomplished.

23 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it is just insane to me that the Sox are unwilling to give Lambert or Flores a shot right now.  They're both 25ish, and both are going to have a very tough time cracking into the rotation next year.  Give them a shot now while the opportunities are there!

I'd ultimately be fine with the Sox cutting Castillo, but I don't think they will.  If they plan for Collins to DH even 50% of the time against RHP, we probably need to carry all three catchers.  I think it actually makes a decent platoon.  McCann C and Collins DH against RHP (Collins occasional C start).  McCann C versus LHP and Welington DH (Castillo occasional C start).  The odd man out in that scenario is obviously Alonso.  IMO - that move should be made...like, today. 

Agree with all your thoughts except Nova.  He does have a role as placeholder.  Teams really need more than 5 starters in today's baseball.

• Like 1

I was all for giving Jose Rondon a chance this season, but I think its time to move on.  His slash line of .194/.237/.319 is putrid, he isn't great defensively, and has had several bone headed plays, including overrunning 2B after the rain delay last night.   He is out of options, so he would have to be DFA'd but I kind of doubt anyone is putting him on their 25 man, so odds are likely better than a coinflip that he stays in the organization.

Meanwhile Danny Mendick is slashing .271/.367/.441 down in AAA.    I think I would make that move right now.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was all for giving Jose Rondon a chance this season, but I think its time to move on.  His slash line of .194/.237/.319 is putrid, he isn't great defensively, and has had several bone headed plays, including overrunning 2B after the rain delay last night.   He is out of options, so he would have to be DFA'd but I kind of doubt anyone is putting him on their 25 man, so odds are likely better than a coinflip that he stays in the organization.

Meanwhile Danny Mendick is slashing .271/.367/.441 down in AAA.    I think I would make that move right now.  

Yes, the question with mendick was not Yolmer but Rondon, he has squandered the chance. Should have been platooned more, but oh well. Mendick should be tried out now.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, ChiSox59 said:

I am quite optimistic there will be plenty of openings next year. 

On 5/23/2019 at 4:53 PM, poppysox said:

My guess is FO thinks Castillo has some trade value and we will see Collins when that is accomplished.

Maybe we can get another Kodi Medeiros for him.  I guess it’s worth a try but have any of the smaller trades that Hahn has signed all of these short term contracts to trade panned out?

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Maybe we can get another Kodi Medeiros for him.  I guess it’s worth a try but have any of the smaller trades that Hahn has signed all of these short term contracts to trade panned out?

tilson looks decent as does burr and cordell.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

tilson looks decent as does burr and cordell.

Didn’t the Sox DFA Tilson over the offseason allowing any team the chance to claim him?  He looks good now but he and Cordell are probably just fourth outfielders.  Why is Tilson playing the corners — can he not play CF?  That would boost his value.  Also, Burr has been mediocre and is looking like he’s headed for surgery.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Didn’t the Sox DFA Tilson over the offseason allowing any team the chance to claim him?  He looks good now but he and Cordell are probably just fourth outfielders.  Why is Tilson playing the corners — can he not play CF?  That would boost his value.  Also, Burr has been mediocre and is looking like he’s headed for surgery.

As I said a few look decent.

17 hours ago, pcq said:

I am quite optimistic there will be plenty of openings next year. 

If the Sox don't sign any real FA SP, there will be.  If they sign one real SP, and another back-end type, it'll be a little tighter.

FA-Giolito-Cease-Kopech-Lopez-FA-Dunning-Covey-Rodon (midseason)-Lambert-Flores

Going to be tough for some of those guys to get starts at the big league level IF the Sox add a piece or two to the rotation.  I personally expect them to, but I guess until it happens, ya never know. 

10 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Tilson has been pretty awful in CF when he's had the chance this season.  He really hasn't been great anywhere in the OF frankly.  And yes, the Sox did DFA Tilson and he went unclaimed, so they were able to remove him from the 40 man but keep him in the org.  

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

yes, but you can fill that in later. You need the foundation first.

I doubt many foundational quality players can be acquired for international bonus pool money. Those are usually backup or flier types.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox don't sign any real FA SP, there will be.  If they sign one real SP, and another back-end type, it'll be a little tighter.

FA-Giolito-Cease-Kopech-Lopez-FA-Dunning-Covey-Rodon (midseason)-Lambert-Flores

Going to be tough for some of those guys to get starts at the big league level IF the Sox add a piece or two to the rotation.  I personally expect them to, but I guess until it happens, ya never know. 

They can always pitch relief and spot start if necessary.