Part II: The Broadcasting Tandem of Ed Farmer & Darrin Jackson - Love 'em, like 'em, or leave 'em?

skooch

Part II: The Broadcasting Tandem of Ed Farmer & Darren Jackson - Love 'em, like 'em, or leave 'em?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy the play-by-play broadcasting provided by Ed Farmer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you enjoy the color analysis provided by Darren Jackson?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you enjoy the pairing of Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson as the broadcast duo for White Sox baseball on the radio??

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, skooch said:

Because it just had to be done ...

Farmer just doesn't cut it for me. He literally makes the games unlistenable.

Farmer is not and never will be a good PBP announcer. When he was paired with John Rooney I thought they made an excellent team. In fact IIRC they were very highly rated in the Sox Championship year 2005. I'm still mad that the Sox let John Rooney go, he was my all time favorite Sox announcer and I can remember all the way back to Bob Elson.   

26 minutes ago, SI1020 said:

Farmer is not and never will be a good PBP announcer. When he was paired with John Rooney I thought they made an excellent team. In fact IIRC they were very highly rated in the Sox Championship year 2005. I'm still mad that the Sox let John Rooney go, he was my all time favorite Sox announcer and I can remember all the way back to Bob Elson.   

Part of it was because Rooney wanted to go back to St. Louis, part of it was because the radio station wasn't willing to meet his salary demands.

22 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Isn't there a third guy now?

Andy Masur will fill in if one of them is off, but it's predominantly Ed & DJ.  I think DJ is fine, I think Ed leaves a lot to be desired and would love for the team to bring on some new blood in the PBP department.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

Love DJ. I really enjoy his commentary, reminds me a lot of Stone actually. Very knowledgeable about the game and I hope he sticks around for a long time. Ed, I still enjoy listening to him only for nostalgic purposes. I wouldn't really miss him when he goes. He does have great homerun calls and I enjoy it when he gets excited about the game. Like the previous poster said, I think there is some to be desired in the PBP category...and Ed's age is definitely showing.

• Like 1

I disliked Farmer as a player and he’s a bully and a blowhard as an announcer.  I was at the game where Al Cowens charged the mound and I kinda rooted for Cowens.  Farmio’s headhunting ruined the guy’s career.  But like another poster said, it’s a microcosm of everything wrong with the Sox.  Farmer kisses the chairman’s ass, so he has a job for life no matter how much he hates it.

When Ed was doing nothing but color he was terrific. Go back and listen to the 2005 broadcasts for example...it was uncanny how often he'd predict something a pitch or two ahead of time and it would come to pass.

But he is completely out of his element as a play by play guy...but JR likes him, so there you go.

• Heads22 changed the title to Part II: The Broadcasting Tandem of Ed Farmer & Darrin Jackson - Love 'em, like 'em, or leave 'em?
On 5/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, SI1020 said:

The first Sox radio announcers I can remember were Elson and Red Rush. Someone posted to YouTube a complete 1967 WMAQ broadcast of Sox/Red Sox from Fenway . Listening to it was like 50 years evaporated. Timeless. Was as good as I remembered.

17 minutes ago, TBrown54 said:

The first Sox radio announcers I can remember were Elson and Red Rush. Someone posted to YouTube a complete 1967 WMAQ broadcast of Sox/Red Sox from Fenway . Listening to it was like 50 years evaporated. Timeless. Was as good as I remembered.

Have that game in my library. Joel Horlen threw a complete game in a 4-1 September Saturday win if I remember right. It was NBC's Game of the Week.

• Like 1