poppysox

McCann Extension

Sure hope our front office is discussing an extension for McCann.  McCann, Collins and perhaps Zivala set us up at the most important position on the field.  It's amazing how much better both defense and lineup look when he is in the game.  Get er done Rick.

There's probably no hurry, but I would be willing to bet that there have been internal discussions already.  As it's been mentioned before, he will probably regress offensively, but his defense and baseball IQ make him a huge asset.  I'd be more than happy with McCann being around for a few more years.

• Like 1

I don't know about any hurry in giving him an extension since he is arbitration eligible next year so let's see what a full season looks like from him.  But just from a defensive standpoint and how he works with the pitchers, he absolutely should be the #1 catcher on this team right now getting most of the starts behind the plate.

I just wish he was playing every day. Playing Castillo every other day has been for the birds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

I just wish he was playing every day. Playing Castillo every other day has been for the birds.

Hopefully the transition of roles is complete by the end of the month.  It’s getting tough to justify 

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

I don't know about any hurry in giving him an extension since he is arbitration eligible next year so let's see what a full season looks like from him.  But just from a defensive standpoint and how he works with the pitchers, he absolutely should be the #1 catcher on this team right now getting most of the starts behind the plate.

My thought about getting out in front of extensions is that they are cheaper then when a player has fully proved his worth.  Sale, Q, Eaton, Anderson and Jimenez all signed extensions at better terms than would have been available later.  The better management controls player cost the more money available for other player acquisitions.  Early extensions has probably been RH best attribute.  His only miss was John Danks.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

eZero reason to rush this unless he’s willing to take a dirt cheap deal.

Zero reason not to do it before there is competition  for his services.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Zero reason not to do it before there is competition  for his services.

And that is over a year away. About 16 months to be exact.

Edited by soxfan2014

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero reason to rush this unless he’s willing to take a dirt cheap deal.

Right, and to the point where him being a backup doesn't hurt us if someone else grabs the starting role (Collins) or they sign someone (Grandal).

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

And that is over a year away.

We know that.  The point is the sooner the cheaper.

People are obssessed with extensions. I'd rather have the next 1.5 years of data on him and pay market price (which we can certainly afford) than lock into him for some 4 for $30 number which isn't prohibitive but would also still be annoying if he turns back to a .650 ops catcher.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I think we need to consider that maybe he's so much more productive because he hasn't been an everyday catcher. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I don't know about any hurry in giving him an extension since he is arbitration eligible next year so let's see what a full season looks like from him. 

This.  There is no rush.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think we need to consider that maybe he's so much more productive because he hasn't been an everyday catcher. 

Castillo has no business being in the starting lineup ahead of McCann. If the White Sox released Castillo today there isn't one team that would pick him up and put him on their roster.

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Castillo has no business being in the starting lineup ahead of McCann. If the White Sox released Castillo today there isn't one team that would pick him up and put him on their roster.

That’s fine, but we’re not talking about playing, we’re talking about extending him long term. 

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

That’s fine, but we’re not talking about playing, we’re talking about extending him long term. 

Play McCann as much as possible. If he keeps producing extend him. You can't extend him if he remains a part time player.

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Oh I'd be willing to bet somebody would pick him up. Somebody is going to have a catcher go down at some point with an injury.

45 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Play McCann as much as possible. If he keeps producing extend him. You can't extend him if he remains a part time player.

So backup players are exempt from extensions? Got it.

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Only if he is willing to take a low ball offer offer like 4/25 which he won’t.

That's not even a lowball offer. I would offer him like 4/12 and see if he bites.

4/25, which is 6+ AAV for a guy with a .400+ BABIP? I think he'd jump all over that 

Edited by Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Because of matchups? Rest? They're both righthanded, right?

Are there particular pitchers that McCann has not faced that you think would be bringing his average down, or are you saying the wear and tear of being an everyday catcher would diminish his offensive numbers?

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Because of matchups? Rest? They're both righthanded, right?

Are there particular pitchers that McCann has not faced that you think would be bringing his average down, or are you saying the wear and tear of being an everyday catcher would diminish his offensive numbers?

Wear and tear, general overexposure, I'm not really sure. I'm not trying to make a definitive point but I need to see him start 6 out of 7 games for an extended period before I even consider an extension.