McCann Extension

poppysox

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Castillo has no business being in the starting lineup ahead of McCann. If the White Sox released Castillo today there isn't one team that would pick him up and put him on their roster.

Not so fast...I hear the Yomiyuri Giants are looking for a catcher

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Castillo has no business being in the starting lineup ahead of McCann. If the White Sox released Castillo today there isn't one team that would pick him up and put him on their roster.

If the Sox RELEASED Castillo, he would have multiple MLB offers to chose from.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right, and to the point where him being a backup doesn't hurt us if someone else grabs the starting role (Collins) or they sign someone (Grandal).

100% agree.  If he wants to get paid like a non-elite, but above-average starting catcher I want to see him maintain a certain level of offense across the entire season.

There is no point to giving away Castillo. As long as he is getting paid, they might as well keep him, until his contract expires. He at least provides insurance, in case McCann gets hurt. However, I agree that James should get most of the playing time, with Wellington simply providing the necessary rest.

42 minutes ago, Lillian said:

There is no point to giving away Castillo. As long as he is getting paid, they might as well keep him, until his contract expires. He at least provides insurance, in case McCann gets hurt. However, I agree that James should get most of the playing time, with Wellington simply providing the necessary rest.

Shouldn't Collins be up soon? The guy is now 24 with over 1300 at bats in the Minors. 

21 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Shouldn't Collins be up soon? The guy is now 24 with over 1300 at bats in the Minors. 

Probably, but you almost have to make sure both him and Seby are mostly ready if you're going to DFA Castillo

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd wait until next Memorial Day. They control McCann for another season, so no reason to jump into anything. 

Today McCann earns 2.5 million and I bet would accept extension in the 5-6 million per year range.  I bet if you wait one yea,r like some suggest, til next year that price will double.  The more I save on any deal the more I have for other signings / extensions.  Of course...if you think McCann won't be all that good then just do nothing.  I for one think McCann is the real deal and would move to extend before I have to compete with his agent whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Also, when you have  good extensions (Sale, Q & Eaton) their value in trade goes up.  If I'm so lucky as to have Collins & Zivala be successful I have a great trade chip.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Today McCann earns 2.5 million and I bet would accept extension in the 5-6 million per year range.  I bet if you wait one yea,r like some suggest, til next year that price will double.  The more I save on any deal the more I have for other signings / extensions.  Of course...if you think McCann won't be all that good then just do nothing.  I for one think McCann is the real deal and would move to extend before I have to compete with his agent whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Also, when you have  good extensions (Sale, Q & Eaton) their value in trade goes up.  If I'm so lucky as to have Collins & Zivala be successful I have a great trade chip.

Or they wait a year and it turns out this season was a fluke.