McCann Extension

poppysox

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Phew. I'm thankful that you're a baseball scout.

Every trade or extension you make has some risk.  When you disagree with someone there is no reason to be snarky.  I'm not a scout and neither are you.  Just two fans with different opinions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If his defense, framing and working with pitchers are sound, then I'd extend him.  Those things should last.  Hitting would be lagniappe.  If Collins breaks out, then they still have a really good backup, which they will need.

McCann's work with the young arms can not be emphasized enough. 

He clearly does his homework and his pitchers trust him and he is getting results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

McCann's work with the young arms can not be emphasized enough. 

He clearly does his homework and his pitchers trust him and he is getting results.

Listen to Garfein's interview with him. He makes his own scouting reports while they're on the plane/bus for the batters.

He also worked with Gio on his composure. Dude's work with pitchers has been just as valuable as his bat.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Listen to Garfein's interview with him. He makes his own scouting reports while they're on the plane/bus for the batters.

He also worked with Gio on his composure. Dude's work with pitchers has been just as valuable as his bat.

He should be kept around as a backup at the very least. 

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

The bat is simply a bonus. The Sox did their homework on McCann. His work behind the plate alone is incredibly valuable. 

Evaluating catchers value is still so far from being efficient. 

Turning around just one arm and bettering him into a star will keep you in the league for a decade. Personal catchers exist for a reason. The fact that he's hitting is just icing on the cake.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Given our flop rate I would employ measures to secure this young man's confidence and advice for some years before allowing another cruel twist of fate to intervene. 

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Given our flop rate I would employ measures to secure this young man's confidence and advice for some years before allowing another cruel twist of fate to intervene. 

There's almost no chance James would agree to an extension given that he's a FA with zero strings attached come 2021.  Sox can only buy out one arb year and he's not going to give much of a long term discount for that.   Would 4 years 50 million get it done?  Probably, but that's way too much to commit to a guy that until now looked like nothing more than a decent backup.

Better to pay him 8 million or whatever he'll get in arb next year and continue to get more data on if his true talent level has changed enough to make a long term deal sensible.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's almost no chance James would agree to an extension given that he's a FA with zero strings attached come 2021.  Sox can only buy out one arb year and he's not going to give much of a long term discount for that.   Would 4 years 50 million get it done?  Probably, but that's way too much to commit to a guy that until now looked like nothing more than a decent backup.

Better to pay him 8 million or whatever he'll get in arb next year and continue to get more data on if his true talent level has changed enough to make a long term deal sensible.

He could also get injured and be back to signing league $2.5M contracts in two years. This could be an aberration season.

Also, extensions are the one thing that Hahn has been stellar at.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

He could also get injured and be back to signing league $2.5M contracts in two years. This could be an aberration season.

Also, extensions are the one thing that Hahn has been stellar at.

True, I'd still rather wait but if there is one thing we can give Hahn the benefit of the doubt on it's extensions.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:30 AM, GermanSoxFan said:

Only if he is willing to take a low ball offer offer like 4/25 which he won’t.

I don't believe he would consider that a low ball.  He signed his current deal at 2.5 mil.  He realizes there is risk in not taking guaranteed money just like Sale & Timmy did.

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't believe he would consider that a low ball.  He signed his current deal at 2.5 mil.  He realizes there is risk in not taking guaranteed money just like Sale & Timmy did.

I mean hes got like one solid year and 2 great months (albeit not playing every day) to his career. He may take a little guaranteed money now. Guy was just non-tendered last year. I still vote to wait unless its for peanuts (less than 4/25 for sure).

Edited by soxfan2014

24 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I mean hes got like one solid year and 2 great months (albeit not playing every day) to his career. He may take a little guaranteed money now. Guy was just non-tendered last year. I still vote to wait unless its for peanuts (less than 4/25 for sure).

Every multi year deal given a FA or any multi year extension has risk.  Many wanted to gamble with 10 + year deals to high priced free agents.  McCann is just one more gamble that I would take.  Been since AJ we have had such a competent two way catcher.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Extremes are rarely accurate but you persist. Four years $32M would suffice. James will never come closer to that kind of payday. 

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Extremes are rarely accurate but you persist. Four years $32M would suffice. James will never come closer to that kind of payday. 

I think the # would be closer to 20 - 25.  That is still a lot of money for this type of player.  It's family security for a guy who hasn't really had a big payday.  He would weigh it against getting hurt tomorrow and out of baseball.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, bmags said:

People are obssessed with extensions. I'd rather have the next 1.5 years of data on him and pay market price (which we can certainly afford) than lock into him for some 4 for $30 number which isn't prohibitive but would also still be annoying if he turns back to a .650 ops catcher.

It's the White Sox way They're often too cheap to pay guys fair market value. But they usually are willing to sign them a little early, taking a gamble that it might turn in to a great contract for the team.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

It's the White Sox way They're often too cheap to pay guys fair market value. But they usually are willing to sign them a little early, taking a gamble that it might turn in to a great contract for the team.

In the cases of Sale, Q and Eaton we were able those gambles paid off in better deals when we traded them.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, poppysox said:

I agree. Many good players who have bet on themselves have been burned in free agency Just to name a few Keuchel, Kimbrel and Moustaskas. Grandal had multi year offers he turned down and took a 1 year deal. $25M might look low comparatively because we aere all used to seeing mega bucks being thrown around but it is $25 Million dollars salary for 4 freaking years. Why throw that kind of money away betting on yourself when yourself just had to sign for $2.5 because no one else would pay you more.

As Steve Miller sang " Go on take the money and run ".

McCann has the 2nd highest batting average on the team and it seems like he's being benched every other day. I'm beginning to wonder if he's even in the future plans of the team. There have been comments on this site about whether Abreu and Colome will be traded at the deadline. I'm beginning to believe that McCann will be traded and the Zavala/Collins era will begin with the White Sox.

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

McCann has the 2nd highest batting average on the team and it seems like he's being benched every other day. I'm beginning to wonder if he's even in the future plans of the team. There have been comments on this site about whether Abreu and Colome will be traded at the deadline. I'm beginning to believe that McCann will be traded and the Zavala/Collins era will begin with the White Sox.

Goodness this board needs a reboot

• Like 2

In a couple weeks we'll probably have an interesting thread or two about trading him also. I'm not convinced enough to extend him yet, but one option I don't see anyone having mentioned yet - the Qualifying offer. Yeah we have him for 1.6 more years, but if he is anywhere near this quality of catcher for the next 2 years, risking $18 million on him for 2021 wouldn't be a bad gamble, and if he were to walk as a free agent that would be an extra draft pick for us.

McCann anecdote from Benetti and Stone tonight: when McCann came to the Sox, one of the first things he did was work with Gio on his attitude. When Gio didn't have his best stuff and threw bad pitches, he'd make faces. James told him to stop so he wouldn't let the opposing offenses know he was struggling. James may be partially responsible for the new BDE Gio.

EDIT: They actually told it more as a Gio anecdote, about his attitude improvements, but I was impressed that McCann came into a new team and was contributing already.

Edited by gusguyman