McCann Extension

poppysox

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Zeby is going to leave you pining for an actual big league quality player in Castillo sooner rather than later.

I think I am pining for Collins not really thinking Zavala  is the answer. However, I do think a 3 catcher system may work well with the unique hitting skills of McCann/Collins.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Zeby is going to leave you pining for an actual big league quality player in Castillo sooner rather than later.

Obviously catchers seem to struggle extra when they first come up as there's so much to take in and to do, but worth noting that at most levels in the minors, at comparable ages, Zavala outhit Castillo. AAA is the only level where Castillo outhit what Zavala has done, and it does seem like he repeated that level (maybe with some injuries in there).

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Obviously catchers seem to struggle extra when they first come up as there's so much to take in and to do, but worth noting that at most levels in the minors, at comparable ages, Zavala outhit Castillo. AAA is the only level where Castillo outhit what Zavala has done, and it does seem like he repeated that level (maybe with some injuries in there).

We'll see.  I have my doubts the Sox can produce any sort of competence at catcher defensively.  If he can hit, and he's the backup, not a problem really.

The best reason to believe that McCann's offensive performance is not a fluke, is that he has made some very wise adjustments, which are, not surprisingly, producing good results. His taking fast balls up the middle, or the opposite way, and pulling the off speed pitches, together with his practice of choking up on the bat, with 2 strikes, are fundamentally sound approaches. Again, he is not going to hit .340, but I think he will be a productive hitter. That, coupled with his defence, make him a very appealing option, to be the catcher, going forward. Well, I guess I've said all that before, but it bears repeating, for those who insist that it's too early to believe that he is anything more than the scrub, who played for the Tigers.

I want to extend him, because I want him to be the primary backstop, for this rebuild. That is, of course, unless Rutschman miraculously falls to us, in the Draft. If we wait, until he reaches free agency, at the end of next year, this front office may balk at paying him, what the market commands. It wouldn't hurt to have him be Collin's mentor, either. Collins has a lot to learn, to become a good Major League catcher. The Sox have a very young pitching staff, and will need a good, smart catcher, to help them realize their potential. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

The best reason to believe that McCann's offensive performance is not a fluke, is that he has made some very wise adjustments, which are, not surprisingly, producing good results. His taking fast balls up the middle, or the opposite way, and pulling the off speed pitches, together with his practice of choking up on the bat, with 2 strikes, are fundamentally sound approaches. Again, he is not going to hit .340, but I think he will be a productive hitter. That, coupled with his defence, make him a very appealing option, to be the catcher, going forward. Well, I guess I've said all that before, but it bears repeating, for those who insist that it's too early to believe that he is anything more than the scrub, who played for the Tigers.

I want to extend him, because I want him to be the primary backstop, for this rebuild. That is, of course, unless Rutschman miraculously falls to us, in the Draft. If we wait, until he reaches free agency, at the end of next year, this front office may balk at paying him, what the market commands. It wouldn't hurt to have him be Collin's mentor, either. Collins has a lot to learn, to become a good Major League catcher. The Sox have a very young pitching staff, and will need a good, smart catcher, to help them realise their potential. 

McCann being the primary catcher while mentoring Collins would be great.  If you carry a third catcher like Zavala either McCann or Collins could DH on a regular basis.  I like that system much better than carrying a one dimensional  DH.

I like McCann a lot and would definitely like to keep him around.  But extending him seems unnecessary.  Sox control him next year thru arb and he'll probably get like $4.5-5M.  Unless he wants to sign like a 3-4 year deal at $3M AAV, I don't see the point.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 5:36 AM, Sarava said:

It's the White Sox way They're often too cheap to pay guys fair market value. But they usually are willing to sign them a little early, taking a gamble that it might turn in to a great contract for the team.

RH extensions have been great for the team.  Only missed on Danks.  It is one area that RH does well and I would think we could all agree on that.

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like McCann a lot and would definitely like to keep him around.  But extending him seems unnecessary.  Sox control him next year thru arb and he'll probably get like $4.5-5M.  Unless he wants to sign like a 3-4 year deal at $3M AAV, I don't see the point.  

Agreed and while his defense will likely still be good, his bat could very easily go in the tank back to his Detroit days next season and he could hit like Welington without the PEDs.  The reward likely isn’t worth the risk.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed and while his defense will likely still be good, his bat could very easily go in the tank back to his Detroit days next season and he could hit like Welington without the PEDs.  The reward likely isn’t worth the risk.

Look at that. You and Jerry aren’t so different after all!

• Like 1

I've decided that despite it being unneccessary I don't really care anymore and if they extend him it's a nice move.

His game calling is so nice. Even if his offense regresses you can easily get rid of the contract OR still pair him with a better catcher.

Depends on price. Catchers that are working this well with the staff are worth keeping.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've decided that despite it being unneccessary I don't really care anymore and if they extend him it's a nice move.

His game calling is so nice. Even if his offense regresses you can easily get rid of the contract OR still pair him with a better catcher.

Depends on price. Catchers that are working this well with the staff are worth keeping.

I respect and admire your intellectual honesty and open mindedness. Your having changed your position on the question of extending McCann is a rare instance of someone being able to critically rethink an issue, and come to a different conclusion. It would be wonderful if more people were able to keep an open mind. Good for you. In the final analysis, it would obviously come down to how much money would be involved. However, the idea is certainly worth exploring.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah none of metrics have been all that favorably. Just a whole lot better than anyone we've seen since......

It's why I underrated him coming in, but what he is clearly better at is pitcher management and game calling, and I don't know how metrics would really measure that.

That is definitely a soft skill, but one our younger pitchers desperately needed. 

Just now, bmags said:

It's why I underrated him coming in, but what he is clearly better at is pitcher management and game calling, and I don't know how metrics would really measure that.

That is definitely a soft skill, but one our younger pitchers desperately needed. 

I'm still firmly in the let's let it go at least until September, there's really no rush, so may as well get as much data as possible before making a decision

Just now, mqr said:

I'm still firmly in the let's let it go at least until September, there's really no rush, so may as well get as much data as possible before making a decision

Yeah I don't think that's a bad plan, I think what I'm coming around to is I want him to stay regardless of his offense, so long as it is respectable for a catcher.