5/23 Games

BamaDoc

I'm worried that Nick Madrigal is a fucking utility guy.  How is he not hitting more than he is in A+ as a "polished" 22 year old college guy with a full offseason to work on his body?

Frankly he doesn't even look like a utility guy he looks like  guy that's going to wash out of baseball at 27 with 30 days service time at the MLB level.  Those power numbers are dreadful and he doesn't appear to be a SS.

My comp from before the draft on Madrigal was former Oregon State great Darwin Barney and, sadly, so far he is living up to that. There is still time for him, but he has to change his swing, imho, to be much more than a second division regular ala Barney or Yolmer Sanchez.

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm worried that Nick Madrigal is a fucking utility guy.  How is he not hitting more than he is in A+ as a "polished" 22 year old college guy with a full offseason to work on his body?

Frankly he doesn't even look like a utility guy he looks like  guy that's going to wash out of baseball at 27 with 30 days service time at the MLB level.  Those power numbers are dreadful and he doesn't appear to be a SS.

I'm more worried about the hit tool than anything. That was supposed to be his carrying tool. And I was very fond of the pick at the time. I truly wonder what the Sox are/have been doing with his development plan.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I'm more worried about the hit tool than anything. And I was very fond of the pick. I truly wonder what the Sox are/have been doing with his development plan.

I know.  I thought for sure he'd at least hit for average if not power.  But he's hitting 265!  And his walk rate sucks too.

@Timmy U  -- ugh.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I’ve said this before, but the quality of contact is poor for Madrigal from what I’ve seen and heard. His results look like someone who can’t handle professional velocity.  I don’t see light at the end of the tunnel for him to become an impact player.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I know.  I thought for sure he'd at least hit for average if not power.  But he's hitting 265!  And his walk rate sucks too.

@Timmy U  -- ugh.

It begs the question “can a guy get to his 60 hit tool, if he has 20 power?”  Kind of interesting really.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve said this before, but the quality of contact is poor for Madrigal from what I’ve seen and heard. His results look like someone who can’t handle professional velocity.  I don’t see light at the end of the tunnel for him to become an impact player.

Yes you can see that in his batted ball data.  A 268 BABIP which you might think is unlucky until you see his pull percentage.  Dude does not turn on the ball.  When he does hit it, it's usually opposite field into the ground or up the middle on the ground.  Seems like he's going to need to completely retool his approach and swing.  

I was a fan of the pick but right now it looks like another massive Sox scouting fail.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Ozzie Albies is a guy who comes to mind. 

Huh?  Even in the minors, Ozzie Albies never had anything like 20 power.  He hit 24 HRs last year and an xbh once every 10 ABs.  I will buy 40 power that showed up as 50 with the juiced ball, but Madrigal can’t even see 40 power from where he’s at.  Maybe after he completely reworks the swing, but why take a polished college player with limited upside at 1-4 if he’s gotta retool his entire approach and swing?

I'm going to remain optimistic on Madrigal. He's got the makeup to get to the most of his abilities. That and I will not become one of those overly negative shit on everything SoxTalk posters. That being said, his hitting has been very disappointing so far.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fair enough, but that number is crazy.  How do you slap a 20 on a guy with 33 xbh in 330 AB's?  That's 40 power minimum.

I’m guessing the grade hadn’t been updated and was based on what he had done up to and including 2015. Even then, doesn’t reflect well on them.