Sox @ Astros 5/23 Gamethread

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

82 strikes, 25 balls. Incredible. Not only was he throwing strikes but he was hitting spots and often at the fringes of the plate rather than center cut. He struggled big time with command last year but if he’s dialed in his command for good he’s a legit TOR starter.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I said zero or 1 but I'm shocked about the last two days. I don't think the Sox can  catch the Twins but I do think they can finish 2nd with around 81 wins. 

2 starters and we can catch them.  Lots of season left and all of our games with the twins are still ahead.

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Actually it was his high school coach LOL 

I think coop and the FO deserve some credit at least for stepping aside and allowing that to happen

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think coop deserves some credit at least for stepping aside and allowing that to happen

Lol all these coop didnt do it posts are laughable - for how much blame most here places on coaches.

As a player you will get opinions and advice from tons of people. Giolito got advice from a guy he trusted but the execution, observation and analysis had to come at the professional level. 

Guys will make tons of changes and tweaks in the off season - try new things. 

Cooper deserves as much credit as blame he was receiving for the lack of development.

Ditching the sinker and dramatically changing his repertoire vs both lefties and righties was probably analytically driven from within the organization. So much goes into a players development from both inside and outside of organizations, it's why all the blame people pass onto coaches is funny and given all the praise is also funny.

Coop deserves as much credit as you can give a pitching coach for a turn around like this. Even if his high school coach and him messed around with shortening his back arm swing and compacting his delivery.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

82 strikes, 25 balls. Incredible. Not only was he throwing strikes but he was hitting spots and often at the fringes of the plate rather than center cut. He struggled big time with command last year but if he’s dialed in his command for good he’s a legit TOR starter.

Is his style of pitching changed? Somebody was mentioning his high school coach? I don't remember last year's Gio. But I will say his delivery is very good for such a tall guy. I feel like it's perfect pitching form for somebody so tall. If his high school coach ordered this ... I like it!

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

2 starters and we can catch them.  Lots of season left and all of our games with the twins are still ahead.

I wish Hahn would have signed Gio Gonzalez. He signed for a small amount of money. Add Gonzalez and Cease to the starting rotation and things could have gotten interesting.

Just now, WBWSF said:

I wish Hahn would have signed Gio Gonzalez. He signed for a small amount of money. Add Gonzalez and Cease to the starting rotation and things could have gotten interesting.

Or add Keuchel and Cease to the rotation and things could still get interesting.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol all these coop didnt do it posts are laughable - for how much blame most here places on coaches.

As a player you will get opinions and advice from tons of people. Giolito got advice from a guy he trusted but the execution, observation and analysis had to come at the professional level. 

Cooper deserves as much credit as blame he was receiving for the lack of development.

Ditching the sinker and dramatically changing his repertoire vs both lefties and righties was probably analytically driven from within the organization. So much goes into a players development from both inside and outside of organizations, it's why all the blame people pass onto coaches is funny and given all the praise is also funny.

Coop deserves as much credit as you can give a pitching coach for a turn around like this. Even if his high school coach and him messed around with shortening his back arm swing and compacting his delivery.

Stop trying to pat yourself on the back Coop.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh please. What a waste of time

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

I can't believe we split a series in Houston.

More importantly, get Gio and Lopez some help in the rotation (via FA or call ups, NOT TRADE).

Get Lopez some help? Not sure I'd lump him in with Giolito yet. He can do a lot for the team by being much better and consistent

• Like 1