Sox @ Astros 5/23 Gamethread

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Cease is probably coming soon enough. And Keuchel is still out there. Add those two to the rotation and make Nova the #5 starter. 

The article in todays Sun Times  said the White Sox have no interest in signing Keuchel. Maybe they'll change their minds. We shall see.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol all these coop didnt do it posts are laughable - for how much blame most here places on coaches.

As a player you will get opinions and advice from tons of people. Giolito got advice from a guy he trusted but the execution, observation and analysis had to come at the professional level. 

Guys will make tons of changes and tweaks in the off season - try new things. 

Cooper deserves as much credit as blame he was receiving for the lack of development.

Ditching the sinker and dramatically changing his repertoire vs both lefties and righties was probably analytically driven from within the organization. So much goes into a players development from both inside and outside of organizations, it's why all the blame people pass onto coaches is funny and given all the praise is also funny.

Coop deserves as much credit as you can give a pitching coach for a turn around like this. Even if his high school coach and him messed around with shortening his back arm swing and compacting his delivery.

It’s also within the realm of possibility the plan of booking him up with his old coach came from within the org

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Oh please. What a waste of time

Get Lopez some help? Not sure I'd lump him in with Giolito yet. He can do a lot for the team by being much better and consistent

Lopey has been fine after his first 3 starts. Go look at his game log. His first 3 starts were bad, as was the one vs. Boston where he had to take one for the team with a depleted bullpen. He was done after 5 innings in that game, and Ricky threw him out there for the 6th and left him out there to die because the bullpen was taxed. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopey has been fine after his first 3 starts. Go look at his game log. His first 3 starts were bad, as was the one vs. Boston where he had to take one for the team with a depleted bullpen. He was done after 5 innings in that game, and Ricky threw him out there for the 6th and left him out there to die because the bullpen was taxed. 

Yes, no doubt he's been better lately but keep in mind that was against the shitty Indians and even worse Blue Jays.

I'm not saying he sucks; simply I'd like to see him put together some good starts consistently against some better teams.

19 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The article in todays Sun Times  said the White Sox have no interest in signing Keuchel. Maybe they'll change their minds. We shall see.

Who on the Sun Times would know?

49 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

There's no reason not to sign him if he's still around after the draft. All they would have to give up is money. Then again that's a lot to ask for a Reinsdorf owned franchise.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

There's no reason not to sign him if he's still around after the draft. All they would have to give up is money. Then again that's a lot to ask for a Reinsdorf owned franchise.

I wouldn't sign him with the idea of winning anything. I mean it could be an added bonus but I wouldn't count on it. The Sox are going to need veteran pitching help in Cease and Kopech's rookie seasons and Keuchel just might be the best pitcher out there who could come relatively cheap for a year and a half. Offer 2019, 2020 and an option for 2021 with a decent buyout for him.If someone wants to give him guaranteed money for 2.5 years then just say no.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn't sign him with the idea of winning anything. I mean it could be an added bonus but I wouldn't count on it. The Sox are going to need veteran pitching help in Cease and Kopech's rookie seasons and Keuchel just might be the best pitcher out there who could come relatively cheap for a year and a half. Offer 2019, 2020 and an option for 2021 with a decent buyout for him.If someone wants to give him guaranteed money for 2.5 years then just say no.

If they sign him after the draft and give him a handful of starts in the minors to shake off the rust, they could run out a rotation of Giolito/Keuchel/Lopez/Cease/Nova by the beginning of July. I don't expect it to happen but it sure would be nice.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

If they sign him after the draft and give him a handful of starts in the minors to shake off the rust, they could run out a rotation of Giolito/Keuchel/Lopez/Cease/Nova by the beginning of July. I don't expect it to happen but it sure would be nice.

Exactly but I wouldn't expect anything great from that rotation. Keuchel would just be insurance for the young arms for next year. Then in the off season you could add Bumgarner too. Remember Cease, Giolito Kopech and Dunning all have had Tommy John surgery.

I understand people thinking we can win the division but it's a long shot. Eloy would have to get hot, Moncada, Anderson , ABreu, McCann all still have plenty to prove and 2nd halves can be just as bad as some of the good 1st halves. If by some miracle the Sox actually made the playoffs Cease wouldn't pitch in the playoffs ,they would shut him downdue to having reached an innings pitched limit much like the Nats did one year with STrasburg.

These last 2 games were great and all but let's not forget the Astro's were missing Springer and Altuve 2 of the best players in the AL.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

This team is good enough to compete for the 2nd AL wild card spot. I 100% believe that.

If we had another starting pitcher, I would consider hopping on this train. Not impossible... but I still don't quite see it. 

We would have to go on a big run at some point. Maybe we can... who knows

2 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Coop had nothing to do with his new pitching mechanics.  

figures that his old coach had to do it, I was trying to pass some rarely given love to the coaching staff 

damn it coop.

7 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

This team is good enough to compete for the 2nd AL wild card spot. I 100% believe that.

I wish.

I think our best chance at the play-offs is to win the division. Eventually MN will come back to earth and Cleve is not very good.

Even after Cease, Collins, and if by some miracle we sign Keuchel we wont challenge for the WC bc of the 3 teams in the AL East. One of TB, BOS, NY wins the division and the other 2 get the WC.

We have to win the division. Which, if we dump Castillo/Yonder, and add Collins, Cease, and another SP could be possible. Hell, at this point I'd just bring up Lambert. 

Gio

Lopez

Cease

Lambert

Nova

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Any fan who has followed the Sox and their front office for the past ten years would also know.

Where did Abreu & Belle come from...the tooth fairy.  This idea that Jerry won't part with money is just wrong.  What Jerry doesn't do is part with stupid money unless it's on has been NL sluggers.

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly but I wouldn't expect anything great from that rotation. Keuchel would just be insurance for the young arms for next year. Then in the off season you could add Bumgarner too.

I want nooooooothing to do with bumgarner. Rather dig into the middle tier of FA pitchers than him. 

Just now, mqr said:

I want nooooooothing to do with bumgarner. Rather dig into the middle tier of FA pitchers than him. 

That's nothing new. There's always somebody who wants nothing to do with just about everybody. Some are proven right some wrong. I think over the last few years I have a pretty good record on guys I would have wanted as free agents panning out when many others said the same stuff as you. They need a lefty, he's still relatively young and knows a thing or 2 about pitching and especially pitching in the post season. It's not like there are going to be a whole hell of a lot of pitchers available.

He's very similar to the Cubs Lester in a lot of different categories including the amount of postseason innings pitched before entering his free agent year. He's a long shot of course but I see nothing wrong with going after a proven guy who instantly becomes your 2nd best pitcher if you believe the Giolito we see now is here to stay.

Why middle tier ? Who middle tier ? Wouldn't you prefer a guy with the most upside ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richig761 said:

Hope this is sarcastic. He was a circus act in left in that game. 

they don't give you extra outs for a perfect route.  he made the plays that were there to be made that's all you can ask.  A few LF would have struggled with those hump back line drives right at him.

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's nothing new. There's always somebody who wants nothing to do with just about everybody. Some are proven right some wrong. I think over the last few years I have a pretty good record on guys I would have wanted as free agents panning out when many others said the same stuff as you. They need a lefty, he's still relatively young and knows a thing or 2 about pitching and especially pitching in the post season. It's not like there are going to be a whole hell of a lot of pitchers available.

He's very similar to the Cubs Lester in a lot of different categories including the amount of postseason innings pitched before entering his free agent year. He's a long shot of course but I see nothing wrong with going after a proven guy who instantly becomes your 2nd best pitcher if you believe the Giolito we see now is here to stay.

Why middle tier ? Who middle tier ? Wouldn't you prefer a guy with the most upside ?

There was an article that talked about how he could be the Sox version of Lester with the Cubs or Verlander with the Astros. I feel like they can either grab him in the off-season or go with Keuchel in a couple of weeks. Of course that only makes sense on a mutl-year deal.

12 hours ago, richig761 said:

Hope this is sarcastic. He was a circus act in left in that game. 

Yeah and I love that Eloy has fun and a happy personality but sometimes I do wish he'd take some things a little more seriously - like his defense. It needs a lot of work and I'm not a huge fan of the humor he tosses into his struggles. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah and I love that Eloy has fun and a happy personality but sometimes I do wish he'd take some things a little more seriously - like his defense. It needs a lot of work and I'm not a huge fan of the humor he tosses into his struggles. 

Everything I've read and heard say that he's one of the team's hardest workers in all facets of his game